H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

hummer74 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stealership ?'s please help ASAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer Guy
This isn't as bizarre as it sounds... I will say that i've never seen this problem on H2s or H3s, but H1s have the same problem - even brand new 06 Alphas. You pull the lever to 4 high, but the TC lock light wont go off. Sometimes you have to repeat the forward and reverse routine several times. I have seen both H2s and H3s 'pop' into place in about 10 feet after the lights indicating they've been in 4 high. I'm always make sure I hear the clicking sound underneath before I gun it -- because it'll give you a pretty good jolt when it does engage. The noise is stress on the system -- 4high lock isn't made for dry surfaces with plenty of traction. Have you noticed a slight burning smell as well? So, the dealer was right and wrong. Should you need to reverse an H3 to get out of 4high lock? No. Does it help a sticky system sometimes? Yes. Do you get 'stuck' in 4 high lock everytime you use it?
well, i used it in the icestorm in dallas on friday, when i got to work i took it out of 4hi-lock, or so i thought, it stayed in 4hi-lock until i got home. no it didnt smell anything. i noticed it didnt shift out of 4hi-lock immediately leaving work. after i got home, i decided to take it to the dealership because this had never happened before. i backed out of my driveway, then put it in drive and drove off. thats when i noticed it was in regular 4hi. drove to the dealership, and just before i pulled in, i put it in 4hi-lock and then tried to take it out again, just to see if it was still doing it. sure enough, it wouldn't come out of 4hi-lock. i guess im just sort of confused, ive used 4 hi lock before and it had never done this. now it does. i just figured something was wrong because it had never done it before. the manual does say that you may have to back up 25 feet to disengage, i just found it odd that all of a sudden my truck is now requiring it.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

i forgot to add, last time i had the truck in, i asked them to replace the battery with an optima battery. they told they couldn't, that it wouldn't fit in the h2. i KNOW some of you running them, did you have to modify the engine compartment to make it fit?
Old 02-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer74

well, i used it in the icestorm in dallas on friday, when i got to work i took it out of 4hi-lock, or so i thought, it stayed in 4hi-lock until i got home. no it didnt smell anything. i noticed it didnt shift out of 4hi-lock immediately leaving work. after i got home, i decided to take it to the dealership because this had never happened before. i backed out of my driveway, then put it in drive and drove off. thats when i noticed it was in regular 4hi. drove to the dealership, and just before i pulled in, i put it in 4hi-lock and then tried to take it out again, just to see if it was still doing it. sure enough, it wouldn't come out of 4hi-lock. i guess im just sort of confused, ive used 4 hi lock before and it had never done this. now it does. i just figured something was wrong because it had never done it before. the manual does say that you may have to back up 25 feet to disengage, i just found it odd that all of a sudden my truck is now requiring it.

I'm not sure how far north you were during the 'ice storm' but a lot of it was just a light coating of snow. As long as you have substantial traction, 4 high open is just fine. In all honesty, 4 high can get you 95% 4 high lock will get you...I always caution folks about 4 high lock because their salesperson may say "just throw it on if its snowing or raining...it gives you more traction"...but when you have traction, that can really mess up your transfer case...who knows if there's anything wrong...I asked about the smell because sometimes you get a slight burning smell when the transfer case/4wd system is under a lot of stress. If i had to guess -- it would be that the 4 high lock system was over-run in the recent weather, and now exhibits behavior of older 4wd systems...I'm not exactly sure on the exact mechanics, others here are...I just know that i've seen MANY 4wd systems need to go in reverse to un-engage, but not H2s...

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 02-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure how far north you were during the 'ice storm' but a lot of it was just a light coating of snow. As long as you have substantial traction, 4 high open is just fine. In all honesty, 4 high can get you 95% 4 high lock will get you...I always caution folks about 4 high lock because their salesperson may say "just throw it on if its snowing or raining...it gives you more traction"...but when you have traction, that can really mess up your transfer case...who knows if there's anything wrong...I asked about the smell because sometimes you get a slight burning smell when the transfer case/4wd system is under a lot of stress. If i had to guess -- it would be that the 4 high lock system was over-run in the recent weather, and now exhibits behavior of older 4wd systems...I'm not exactly sure on the exact mechanics, others here are...I just know that i've seen MANY 4wd systems need to go in reverse to un-engage, but not H2s...
thanks hummerguy. i really did need the 4hi-lock. im not one to use it regularly. its only the second time ive used it. first time was in two feet of snow in albuquerque. this time i left for work about 6am and the roads were ice. i really mean ice. i work in the western part of flower mound which can be quite hilly. cars couldnt get up the hills because of the ice. they were all turning around to go another route. i turned on the 4hi-lock to get up some of the hills.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Ed G. is off the scale

If you drive around on concrete, in hi-lock, you may need to back-up several feet to disengage. Driving on cocrete in anything but 4 hi will cause problems, it's not built for it.

Most warranty's do not cover wind noise,they are meant for mechanical and electrical systems.

They should have fixed your horn.

I bought my H2 from Classic, took it there for service and never a problem.

Good Luck.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Hummer Authority

[quote=Ed G.]

Most warranty's do not cover wind noise,they are meant for mechanical and electrical systems.

quote]

Is it the problem at about 70mph thats loud as hell?

Old 02-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer74
thanks hummerguy. i really did need the 4hi-lock. im not one to use it regularly. its only the second time ive used it. first time was in two feet of snow in albuquerque. this time i left for work about 6am and the roads were ice. i really mean ice. i work in the western part of flower mound which can be quite hilly. cars couldnt get up the hills because of the ice. they were all turning around to go another route. i turned on the 4hi-lock to get up some of the hills.

I believe it...I know further north of Dallas got it much worse than central/southern parts of the area.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Hummer Veteran

lvs is off the scale

I had my battery swapped for the Optima. It can be done. No mods to make it fit.

Last edited by lvs : 02-06-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

[quote=Hummer Guy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed G.

quote]

yeah, it's the 70mph+ loud as hell wind noise. someone posted a how to on here somewhere, guess i should try and find it. it was the same fix as the stealership with the double sided tape.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Hummer Professional

Motohead is an unknown quantity at this point

take off the black plastic peice running up the end of the windshield on the outside. Put either a line of silicon adhesive of tape between it and the windshield. It's rubbing the windshield and making the noise. Had to drive 1100 miles from Dallas when I picked mine up listening to that farking noise...
Old 02-09-2007, 01:18 AM
Hummer Professional

H2bill is on a distinguished road

[quote=Hummer Guy]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed G.

quote]

I have this same problem on my '06. You're saying the factory warranty will not cover this on a six month old vehicle?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Hummer Authority

[quote=H2bill]
Quote:

I have this same problem on my '06. You're saying the factory warranty will not cover this on a six month old vehicle?

Factory warranty covers it no problem...I think we were talking about GMPP or some other extended warranty deal.