H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-23-2003, 02:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

Is there a clear preference among the various offerings of air filter systems or one that works lots better? Performance versus price?
Old 04-23-2003, 02:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

Is there a clear preference among the various offerings of air filter systems or one that works lots better? Performance versus price?
Old 04-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Tucson Beast

Hi Ed

I just want to say that this is a great question. Given all ther different brands out there for H2 - I sure our group can shed some light on cost-installation-performance of each brand name. I am looking forward to comments
Old 04-24-2003, 03:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tucson Beast:
Hi Ed

I just want to say that this is a great question. Given all ther different brands out there for H2 - I sure our group can shed some light on cost-installation-performance of each brand name. I am looking forward to comments<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe I "could" be a little more specific? The Breathless CAI seems to be a great choice. The color matched towers seem impressive, but do they really improve the functioning of the CAI? Is there any benefit to choosing the carbon fiber box?
Looking forward to comments too.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:04 PM

Lil Devil is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGoodHummerMan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tucson Beast:
Hi Ed

I just want to say that this is a great question. Given all ther different brands out there for H2 - I sure our group can shed some light on cost-installation-performance of each brand name. I am looking forward to comments<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Maybe I "could" be a little more specific? The Breathless CAI seems to be a great choice. The color matched towers seem impressive, but do they really improve the functioning of the CAI? Is there any benefit to choosing the carbon fiber box?
Looking forward to comments too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm going to install the Airaid one this week. I have a similar one on my avalanche and it was worth the money. if you guys are interested I can post pix and results.

----
2002 Chevy Avalanche
2002 Chevy Corvette (585 RWHP)
2003 H2 Lux
Old 05-04-2003, 09:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Carrerarod,

The Airaid costs about $250. Much less than many aftermarket air intake systems, but still a sizeable investment. But, if you already have one and were happy with it, it sounds like a good deal... I would definitely be interested in your results with the H2!

It seems most of the time people who replace the stock air intake say things like: "The new system has a great SOUND to it, and the engine's power "seems" a little peppier even though I haven't really noticed any increase in fuel mileage..."

If the main improvement is a throatier sound, I'll save the $250. and buy some new music CD's. Maybe some new Dixie Chicks albums?

Ed
Old 05-04-2003, 09:24 PM

Lil Devil is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGoodHummerMan:
Carrerarod,

The Airaid costs about $250. Much less than many aftermarket air intake systems, but still a sizeable investment. But, if you already have one and were happy with it, it sounds like a good deal... I would definitely be interested in your results with the H2!

It seems most of the time people who replace the stock air intake say things like: "The new system has a great SOUND to it, and the engine's power "seems" a little peppier even though I haven't really noticed any increase in fuel mileage..."

If the main improvement is a throatier sound, I'll save the $250. and buy some new music CD's. Maybe some new Dixie Chicks albums?

Ed<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well mine is free since I sell them. I am starting with this one first and will move on to others until I am happy. i dont care much about the sound either since I have a dual exhaust out back. Looking to let the engine breath a little better but hope to get maybe 1 or 2 MPG out of it.

I will post my thoughts once I get it in...

----
2002 Chevy Avalanche
2002 Chevy Corvette (585 RWHP)
2003 H2 Lux
Old 05-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Tucson Beast

Hi carrerarod

Iam still interested in this discussion - I would like your comments after your installation. I would consider this if I could get 1-2 MPG. The additional sound is not important to me (as stated by TheGoodHummerMan). I will look for your comments and pics.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I am hoping to do the following when I get my truck back (this week I hope). Take to track w/ LPE mods plus headers and get base times. Then add Airaid filter for a run and then add the throttle body spacer for another run. I will, obviously, have no clue as to the MPG, but will let you know the performance results. The fun factor should be HIGH!

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 05-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Have any of you actually looked uned the towers? There isn't any way for the Breathless(worthless) air-intake towers to supply the "rush of cold air" to the engine compartment.
As for changing the air-intake system- don't do it!!! After being stuck in a stream up to my right headlight and NOT sucking water into my stock air-intake and then finding out that that's how GM designed it, I have to give two thumbs down to the idea of changing anything.

"I smell varmint poontang."
Old 05-06-2003, 09:31 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, remember that GM has a TSB on aftermarket air intakes that warns that water ingestion damage will not be covered by your warranty if an aftermarket unit is installed.

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=286607536 2

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Old 05-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

GM will blame everything under the SUN on these aftermarket breathers - from improper tire wear to tranmission and gear box failure - to air conditioning and trim part breakage. If you change this one item everything on your vehicle is in effect OUT OF WARRANTY - And any mechanical multiple failure taht might fall under your states LEMON LAW is now void. BUYER BEWARE when GM issues this level of warning against these devices!!
Old 05-07-2003, 01:21 AM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

Phil is correct as it also states that if they require a specific brand for replacment they must supply it at No Charge..

Black H2 Adventure Series+ all other options.
Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 05-09-2003, 02:07 AM

wavecrave is off the scale

ok I have seem some of the h2's on the dealers lot with these systems already on them.

how would your GM warranty work then.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

PhilD,

You have to remember that these are some of the same dealers who install inferior aftermarket sunroofs in H2's because they just didn't order them with the factory sunroofs. Instead of ordering a $500 3rd row seat for every vehicle, why not order every H2 with a sunroof. The dealer could then weld a steel plate over it if someone didn't want the sunroof...

If the dealer can make a few extra bucks by adding the non-stock air intake, it's just more money in his pocket...

But you are right. It does seem awfully DUMB.

Ed
Old 05-09-2003, 04:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

PhilD,

I've had my Hummer H2 for less than a month and therefore my experience with my dealership is most limited. With luck, I will never find out if they are really good or really awful? But, judging from just my very limited experience thusfar, I do have to say that my experience with the H2 salesman/dealer has been as good or maybe even slightly better than any previous experiences during my 38+ years of dealing with dealerships.

If I ever do need to have major repairs made on my H2, will the dealership actually provide me with a "loaner" to drive? I hope to never find out. Will the dealer be helpful if and when I have problems? Again, who knows at this point. Will work be done quickly???? Wait & see.

Maybe the dealer I bought my PewterH2 from has done lousy things like installing crappy sunroofs into otherwise fantastic vehicles... I don't know. I did get a lot of trinkets thrown in when I bought mine and they "supposedly" gave me an extra $500 for my trade in over what they thought it was worth... Almost like getting a "deal"? I have also gotten several phone calls from the salesman, just checking in with me to see if I am still happy or have any problems... I don't think any dealer has ever done that before. Sure, he begged, pleaded and groveled for me to give him high marks on the customer survey, when I get it... I didn't bother telling him that I would have given them high marks without being asked. Sure doesn't COST me anything and to be honest, I will just be reporting truthfully.

I have thought that maybe when I get the survey, I will just drop in (65 miles away) and say Howdy to the salesman and mention that I have the survey with me. Maybe he would like to trade me some more trinkets for it, or maybe a free service: oil & lube? Then he could fill the survey out for me! Wow, that would really be great service? I wouldn't even have to bother filling out silly surveys...

If things go south and I get lousy service, I imagine that I'll find time to post about it here on the forum. But for now, I'm a happy hummer.

Ed