H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-03-2003, 12:12 AM

Frank Hewitt is off the scale

a buddy of mine recently attended a weekend in Northbend Indiana. He says that the H2 can do anything (speaking of the very aggressive obstacle field engineered by the HUMMER folks) that the H1 can. I've always felt that while the H2 is painfully superior as a every-day driver than a H1 would ever be, that when off-road supremacy is the bottom line, you'd want to have the H1. what are your opinions?

gasman
Old 11-03-2003, 12:12 AM

a buddy of mine recently attended a weekend in Northbend Indiana. He says that the H2 can do anything (speaking of the very aggressive obstacle field engineered by the HUMMER folks) that the H1 can. I've always felt that while the H2 is painfully superior as a every-day driver than a H1 would ever be, that when off-road supremacy is the bottom line, you'd want to have the H1. what are your opinions?

gasman
Old 11-03-2003, 02:08 AM

Jigga is off the scale

the H2 can ALMOST do everything the H1 can. I've yet to see a H2 go through deep water like the H1 can. Both are amesome vehicles and look badass, but as for everyday driving and comfort, i tip my hat the the H2.

2003 Pewter H2 with Adventure Package.
Go Auburn, War Eagle!
Old 11-03-2003, 02:54 AM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

I love my H2 but I think there are several mechanical advantages the H1 has over the H2 which would seem to make it more capable off-roading and rock crawling. Three differences are ground clearance, tread/track width and 4-wheel independant suspension. Other more experienced forum members (Steve?) should be able to jump in here with opinions.

Jim
Red H2
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2003, 03:46 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

How come it so often comes down to me? O'tay:

The obvious:

H1 has more clearance, more dramatic approach/departure angles, more protection and design to take abuse, greater water depth, CTIS and other features that overall make it a more formiddable offroad vehicle. As in...no doubt.....I think it's pretty obvious, but here's an intersting perspective:

I've hosted and run many events....I've seen places where the H2 just couldn't get through and the H1 could: These were very steep & nasty ruts where the extremes of the H1 made the difference. I can't think of too many places the 2 can go that the 1 can't...(maybe a GM service bay??? )

On the flip side...I've many times observed that more often the H1's are having problems on the trails. I'm not referring to mechanical (although they do seem to have reliability issues...but then again, we're all about 1 year old or newer...give it time). A great example would be our recent White Mountain run.

All the 2's went right through a rutted area on the trail, whereas the 1's always had a tire up in the air and about half of them got held-up and were spinning tires, some even had to take 3-5 runs at the same rut just to finally get through it. The lack of suspension articulation AND the extra 2,000 of weight hinder the beast. I sat there and watched in dismay as each H2 cake-walked through...and most the 1's were spinning wheels and throwing dust...BUT, not the better drivers!!!!

At our Slitherfest (desert night run)...again, the H2's went right up the loose & rutted hill, but we had 2-3 H1's that were having all sorts of issues...BUT, not the better drivers!!!

It always comes down to the driver and thier (note that I don't say HIS) ability to know their vehicle and how to make it work best.

Given a moderate trail and driver....the H2 will likely go better and go through smoother. However...in the hands of a capable driver who knows the rig...the H1 is your offroad victor.

....at least until Jim puts a 4" lift on his 2 and shows us otherwise
Old 11-03-2003, 03:52 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

This is way steeper, looser and nastier then the picture looks.....

No H2's could make it through a rut the size of a trash-can. Half the H1's didn't try, of the other half that did many had problems and one snapped it's u-joint (twice).

Still...here is your H1 a go-go, H2 a no-no
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2003, 06:29 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Pictures do indeed lie. Btw, I meant to say the 2's couldn't do it. Locked, up height-controlled, everything you can imagine...no way possible.

The picture is just not fairly depicting the actual circumstances, not even close. There is no line, your actually running up a channel with no alternative. The rut is about 3' deep, but the picture shows it as maybe 16"?

My buddy Craig recently tried this section in his H1. He has e-lockers both front AND rear: he told me he couldn't get up it!

We had with us a Jeep, lifted, huge tires, rear locker...he couldn't make it half way up.

It's the picture...it lies!
Old 11-03-2003, 06:32 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

here ya go...maybe this adds some perspective, here's the same H1...see how much more it's buried in that channel?
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2003, 06:38 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

as I recall, the ruts were too darn big and our diff's too darn....there?
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2003, 11:57 AM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve,

This looks like a good outing for this week. LEt's get your H2 dirty again!

Did Billy try this in the Humvee?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:30 PM

Detonate is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alec W:
I know these things have lousy clearance, but for some reason the wide and long wheel base works to out advantage sometimes. One thing I have learned is that H2’s are not tippy if you keep the momentum going smoothly and avoid hitting the breaks hard.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yeah, I think I would have tried to get it more sideways. Looks like you could have started the bottom half leaning left, and then towards the top where the right bank gets stepp cut left.

Just because the ruts are there, doesn't meant you have to stay in them! :P

Even weaving left to right can help because you'll always have 1 wheel on the rut to keep your bottom from digging in.

Of course it's one thing to say this looking at the picture and another to actually do it. I've just learned so far that there really isn't much you can't do. It just takes time, patience, and big ****ing nuts.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder
Old 11-03-2003, 02:51 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>All the 2's went right through a rutted area on the trail, whereas the 1's always had a tire up in the air and about half of them got held-up and were spinning tires, some even had to take 3-5 runs at the same rut just to finally get through it. The lack of suspension articulation AND the extra 2,000 of weight hinder the beast. I sat there and watched in dismay as each H2 cake-walked through...and most the 1's were spinning wheels and throwing dust...BUT, not the better drivers!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve this must have been a different White Mountain run than the one I went on. If we are talking about the same hill (the one I got winched out of on our pre-run) here is how it went:

You were first and banged, tore (didn't break anything) to get up that sucker but did create a nice rut for the rest of us I went second in my H2 and took at least 6-7 tries at it with Rick's guidance and did eventually make it after taking a far different line. About half of the group took the bypass. The other H2's did much better after learning the line from those in front of them. One H2 got stuck at the very top in a rut and after 6-7 tries got out. Of the H1's that attended there was one guy who got stuck everywhere (no names). He is the low score and will be thrown out with the H2 low score (the guy stuck on the first hill that we couldn't even winch out with the H1 and had to go backward down the hill to hit the bypass). So, back to the big hill. What I remember is one H1 just stepping on it to get up, tossing a wheel in the air and going nuts The other 3 H1's blue, white, and Rick in Pewter got up piece of cake. The white H1 (can't remember his name) took the hardest route at the top and just crawled right over it. Kevin in the blue H1 was on his first off-road trip ever and went right through with no stops. A few of the H2 drivers did this as well.

As far as service goes for the H1 (you always seem to pick on that) I have yet to gain enough experience to find out. I haven't even owned it for a month but I will let everyone know. My H2 owned for 13 months was in the shop for leaky drain tubes around sunroof, 3 times for steering grinding. Twice for poor lubrication (totally dry from the mfg.). 1 time to replace driver mirror shaking (image blurred). 2 I said TWO acid leaking batteries that leaked down the paint under the wheel well and ate through it! I still don't know why this happened but think it had something to do with my alternator (I could be wrong, I'm not a technical guy) but it happened after getting a ton of dirt and dust in the engine from our last trip. Last, I bent my caging up into the exhaust causing a severe rattle at low RPM's (my fault).

Hummers, H1's H2's and future models are technical machines intended to have many advanced features. These features need to be maintained far more than your average everday driver so we all should expect it. You can't drive off ledges, through deep water slam up rocks and hills and not get a little dealer friendly
Old 11-03-2003, 03:09 PM

Detonate is off the scale

Wow, I've done nothing but feed mine Oil and Gas since April and I've had no issues.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder
Old 11-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Great pics, Steve, I knew you would come through for us. Good discussion on this thread. Thanks guys.

I love my H2. :-)

Jim
Red H2
Old 11-03-2003, 10:52 PM

Thank you for contributing to this post. Sounds like a lot of you who responded really had some real-life experience to apply. I appreciate that, and that's why I continue to spend my H2 interest time at this forum! I don't want opinions-- but facts. I get them here.
Thanks!

gasman
Old 11-04-2003, 01:14 AM
Hummer Expert

We have a good group going out this Friday to Rattlesnack Canyon rated Most Difficult with numerous water crossings. We should have a good mix of H1 and H2 so pics will be forthcoming.

Oh, and Steve's hangar queen will be attending too!
Old 11-04-2003, 04:50 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Jason...

Nope...that wasn't the area I was talking about. You remember the area as we started into the hills...that little rut that you and I cake-walked through and I never thought of it as an obstacle?? Well...about 3-4 H1's got all goofey on it!

As for Frustration hill, I didn't create a rut. I went up that hill just fine with no spotters (for the second time in a row). I was a bit on the gas, but that was in a desperate effort to build some momentum. When I got stuck, I just put in in reverse and took a new line. Let's leave it at that....cause that was a nasty hill for everyone. I remember on the pre-run when you came around the corner and saw me up there, the look on your face was priceless. Your buddy told me what you said: How the hell did he get up there??? funny. More then 1/2 the H2's went up the hard line though.

Rattlesnake is turning up 5 1's and only me in a 2.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

This hill is responsible for most of my truck's pinstriping (big smiles, no regrets). The lines to the left and up the middle were so chewed up by the time it was my turn, I was spotted to the right next to some trees/bushes. The windows were down (mistake) and the branches smacked my passengers before they could get them up. I think I still have branches in my teeth from smiling.

Ron

btw - anyone want to go out and play this coming Sunday?
Attached Images