H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-30-2005, 03:44 PM

IronMedic is off the scale

hey guys, i am looking to trade my 2005 WRX for an 06 hummer H3. i used to own a 98 Expedition so big trucks are my norm. I have been lurking around here gathering information and it seems like this is a great buy. i have always wanted a hummer but didnt want to pay the big price. I live here in the northwest and owning one would come in handy. i am more of an adventurous person anyways. I just went through a divorce and it sucks. since i am single again, i want to get something that has my name on it and comes in handy. i bought my 05 WRX cuz it had a balance between small family and fun (turbo). since we are split and done, i dont need that. i want to go back to my roots: trucks and outdoors!
just a few questions!

1. how does the insurance look for one of these? i feel it shouldnt be too expensive considering how big it is and it is only an I-5. i am in WA so i am not sure how much the insurance could run. (i will make some inquiries soon)

2. Gas? i know this gets asked alot so i will keep researching. on my 98 Expo, i got around 350 miles to a whole tank of gas with 75% freeway time and 25% local streets. i read that this thing will do around the same, if not more. what octane do u guys normally use? i am looking to stick with 91 octane but if i can save a few bucks, maybe 89. opinions?

3. for the guys: does this truck attract chicks? haha! the only reason i ask is cuz not everyone owns a hummer. i figure if they see it (and not know much about it), they will think u are rich and want a piece of u LOL!

well guys, good luck and i hope to join the community soon!
Old 09-30-2005, 03:44 PM

hey guys, i am looking to trade my 2005 WRX for an 06 hummer H3. i used to own a 98 Expedition so big trucks are my norm. I have been lurking around here gathering information and it seems like this is a great buy. i have always wanted a hummer but didnt want to pay the big price. I live here in the northwest and owning one would come in handy. i am more of an adventurous person anyways. I just went through a divorce and it sucks. since i am single again, i want to get something that has my name on it and comes in handy. i bought my 05 WRX cuz it had a balance between small family and fun (turbo). since we are split and done, i dont need that. i want to go back to my roots: trucks and outdoors!
just a few questions!

1. how does the insurance look for one of these? i feel it shouldnt be too expensive considering how big it is and it is only an I-5. i am in WA so i am not sure how much the insurance could run. (i will make some inquiries soon)

2. Gas? i know this gets asked alot so i will keep researching. on my 98 Expo, i got around 350 miles to a whole tank of gas with 75% freeway time and 25% local streets. i read that this thing will do around the same, if not more. what octane do u guys normally use? i am looking to stick with 91 octane but if i can save a few bucks, maybe 89. opinions?

3. for the guys: does this truck attract chicks? haha! the only reason i ask is cuz not everyone owns a hummer. i figure if they see it (and not know much about it), they will think u are rich and want a piece of u LOL!

well guys, good luck and i hope to join the community soon!
Old 09-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Hummer Expert

SteveRH is an unknown quantity at this point

1) try http://www.progressive.com for an online quote
2) people have posted between 13 and 22 on this site
3) hell yeah - the first day I got mine, I had 3 hot chicks drooling over it... Some guys say hot and they're full of shiznit...However, I am a picky bastard. I MEAN HOT
Old 09-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

Roughwater is off the scale

IronMedic-
Welcome to the site. I used to drive an Expedition, then a Wrangler and now my H3. All I can say is this car is much better than both of those. As far as your questions:

Insurance: Cheaper than both my Expedition & Wrangler

Gas: Better than my Expedition & Wrangler

Girls: Lots of looks, but with the girlfriend I have to leave it at that.

Given what is available on the market SUV wise, I think for the money you won't find a car nearly as capable or with half the attention getting look that the H3 has.

OLD
2006 H3 - Slate Blue - Adventure
Old 09-30-2005, 06:09 PM

i just got back from a dealership and i shat my pants. i am in love and i want one bad now. get this: these guys built an offroad course that goes around their shop!they take everyone on it before they actually do buy it to know what to expect. this is no simple course too. i dont mean it is too hard or soft but when i say a simple course, i am talking about just small rocks and stones. they have inclines and other things to try out. it is very impressive. they took a long time to build this thing.

http://www.mccannhummer.com/en_US/HomePage_1.chtml

i am considering a 24 month lease on one of these things and then maybe finance afterwards. i take it most of you guys financed it? im keeping my options open. i am a car nut and will go through them quick. i may do the lease and get a new hummer 2 years from now so who knows. tell me what u guys think!

also, the dealership told me that the hummer is in fact, a chick magnet. he told me "oh you have no idea what this thing attracts!". he told me about a guy who bought one and all these girls kept checking it out left and right haha! i cant wait to do it
Old 09-30-2005, 06:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

montanah3 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">.

http://www.mccannhummer.com/en_US/HomePage_1.chtml </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Am I a snob or what!! Calling my H3 a "Wagon"
Old 09-30-2005, 06:55 PM

http://www.mccannhummer.com/en_US/f_MiscPage_8.chtml
Old 09-30-2005, 07:42 PM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
i am considering a 24 month lease on one of these things and then maybe finance afterwards. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IronMedic:

I did a 24 month smart buy because the residual on the H3 was so good. If you don't go over the miles, this is a good way to go. However, buying it after the lease is normally not a good deal, especially at the end-of-lease price. You may be able to negotiate a better price at the end if you want to keep it, but it is usually best to walk away. I haven't checked lately, but residual was around 72% for two year, 15k miles/yr when I got mine.

Gas mileage for 1800 miles has been 16-16.5 on each tank, mixed city/highway driving with a fairly light foot.

As for the chick magnet thing, I can't help with that at all. I can tell you that all of the neighborhood kids turn and stare when I drive by. It is kinda neat being the "cool" dad in the neighborhood.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:24 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Hummer is off the scale

I live in King County and my insurance on the H3 is $76.00 a month. A lot less than my Z3 which is $122.

Gas millage average, I have some steep hills 15.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:17 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the forum, Iron.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:37 AM

i looked at the smart buy option and the smart lease. i may take the smart buy option. what would be a good term to use? 24 or 48? i know the smart buy is more of a financing thing so maybe 48 months wouldnt be too bad. i am not too familiar with it and i hope some of u guys have good advice.

the dealership recommends that i stick with a 24 month lease should i decide to go that route.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> i may take the smart buy option. what would be a good term to use? 24 or 48? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just my opinion here. Smart buy/lease basically the same idea, just different wording on the contract. Texas has personal property tax on leased vehicles, but not on purchased (smart buy considered a purchase), so this was best for me. Dealer is going to recommend whatever makes them the most money.

From your earlier posts it sounds like you don't keep a car too long, I don't recommend doing a 48 month deal. Too tough (financially) to get out of it early. Also, depending on how many miles you drive, you could be out of warranty before the time is up. Not a good deal if you have to do major work on a car you don't even own.

gmbuypower.com has great lease/smart buy calculating tool. Do an inventory search to find the truck you are interested in, find GMAC financing link under shop/buy tools and click on calculate payment. You may have to wait a few days for them to reload values for October, as the September deals just expired and the numbers coming up now are bogus.

All that out of the way, GET THE H3. I'm loving mine as most of the folks on here seem to be as well. I usually go through buyer's remorse with my new vehicles, none with the H3.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:48 PM

yeah my WRX friends think i am insane for wanting to go from a WRX to an H3. they are like "why are u gonna buy an overpriced canyon?". well, they dont need to know or care. i told them why but it in the end, it is what i want.

i am considering a short lease or a short smartbuy option...like 24 or 30 months. i am confident i will have it that long. since i am single and pretty much dont care for modding cars anymore, ill definitely keep this. if it gets attention from girls as you guys say, that is all i need.

right now i need to save up money to pay off the negative equity on my car to get a clean deal on a Hummer. i am talking to a dealership about the H3 and see what they can do for me. honestly, i dont mind leasing a hummer. i know the leasing market alot better now. i dont plan on modding my H3 and just using it for what it is meant to do. if i can save a few bucks leasing for 24 months and then get a new one afterwards, i am in there. i am in the military and go on trips all the time. there is a military clause that states if i am deployed for over 180 days, i can give back my leased car with no other financial obligations. everything gets waived except the wear/tear charges. i dont even have to pay the early termination fee. if this truck is as good as u guys say, ill definitely keep it for 24 months. i am confident it is everything i am expecting it to be!