H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-07-2005, 02:46 AM

RacerX is off the scale

Anybody know which mighty mounts fit the H2? I have my old ski racks but I cannot find which might mounts will attach them to the factory bars.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:46 AM

RacerX is off the scale

Anybody know which mighty mounts fit the H2? I have my old ski racks but I cannot find which might mounts will attach them to the factory bars.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe this will help.
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima-mighty-mounts.htmlThis is what the site says:
Fits all popular factory racks with a variety of shapes.

Nah, probably won't fit...
Old 02-07-2005, 05:41 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually this may work:
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/yakima...ts-clamps.html
Old 02-15-2005, 04:33 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear RacerX,

I have the Yakima set-up on my rig. Yak’ recommends that you clamp their accessories to their cargo basket (Road Worrier). Fine, but that won't fit in my garage. They won't warranty (as in if it magically flies off your roof) the set-up I am about to describe.

You can use either the LP4 or LP5 (LP = Landing Pad) to connect to the H2 roof channel. The 5's have a wider elliptical base; the 4's are a little more rectangular. It's all just aesthetics. I recommend the 4's and 5's because they are the only 2 LP’s using 1 1/2" "nuts" (actually narrow plates with threaded holes in them). Do NOT use the black spacer washers because the bolts won't reach anywhere near the bottom of the track. In fact, you will need to “float” the nuts to get them up to the top of the channel in order for the included bolts to catch the nut’s threads. This is very easily done. (I used a wadded up plastic bag for this.) I called Yak' yesterday and they (again) said that they are working on a roof set-up for the H2 (yeah, having an '03 and being a ski patrolman, I'll probably need knee replacements before they come out with anything. And it would be so simple. All they need is an “inverted U” shaped nut. But I digress.

So with the LP’s on, you must add Control Towers and Crossbars, and you know the drill from there. I got the 78” crossbars and cut them down to 69 inches. You can use the stock 66” bars, but they don’t really leave any margin outside of the Control Towers and look a little funny to me.

Using this set-up, I can dump (rotate) my ski and bike mounts into the horizontal position. This makes them more aerodynamic (yeah, BIG gas savings), but more importantly, lets me pull into my garage. I already had to raise a soil pipe in the garage (commercial building), just to get the beast in with the factory crossbars attached. So I guess I should mention for anyone having similar overhead clearance issues, I used the Steelhead fork clamps, but removed the tray. There is no need to rotate the Steelheads. For the rear tire support, I used their Multimount, and I do rotate it downward. Likewise, the ski rack gets rotated downward.

If you want any more info, send an e-address. I hope this helps.

t~
Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 PM

4churchill is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:
Dear KenP,t~ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what does everyone think of that yakima stuff, ive heard alot of good, but some bad also, i need some ski racks, are these the best?

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 02-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Banned

Dear 4CURCHILL,

All the major manufacturers make similar systems, and they all steal ideas from one another. All the accessory pieces (bike, ski attachments) will break down after 5 - 10 years. The primary reason that I keep coming back to Yakima, at least as a base rack, is the round crossbars. They are beefier than what other companies offer. That, along with their round shape, makes them less prone to deformation by bending. That having been said, on my old Tahoe, I used Yak' Crossbars, but raqdaptour (low profile) clamps and Rocky Mountain bike front fork clamps and rear short trays. I go for what works best for me at the time.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 4CHURCHILL:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:
Dear KenP,t~ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what does everyone think of that yakima stuff, ive heard alot of good, but some bad also, i need some ski racks, are these the best? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

GREAT STUFF! I have had many differnt vehicles over the past years and have used Yakima the most. Once my rack is done, it will have the Powderhound and bike racks integrated.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Banned

Just as a point of interest, Yak' was supposed to have a device called the E-Z-Load (or E-Z-Loader, something like that) on the market by now. Apparently some design changes were called for, and it has been delayed. It’s a thing that slides the entire gear platform over to the side of the truck and then lets it swing down under spring tension while keeping it all level. It sounds cool for someone of my diminutive stature (5’8”, but taller in ski/cowboy boots). Anyway, if they ever work out all the bugs, it might be worth checking out. It won’t work in my current domicile, as it requires 4” of headroom.