H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Hummer Professional

Cranky Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Very scary, especialy if a snatch block was to be used.

Maybe you guys would find this tech doc on recovery helpful. It covers the do's and don'ts and just might save someone from a serious injury or death.

BillaVista's Recovery Bible

Founding Member of RCRC 4wd Club Scaramento, CA www.rcrc4x4.com
Pirate4x4.com Vendor & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator

Official Hummer Forums "Rice Grinder"

http://www.rocknroll4x4.com
http://rubicontrailpatrol.org/index.php
http://www.friendsoftherubicon.com/
http://www.Pirate4x4.com Tool and Shop Talk, Vendor, & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator
Old 10-21-2003, 02:41 PM

crash is off the scale

hmm, interesting. I think one thang that really hinders the H2, the way the hood opens. Now, if you were to be able to build a bumper, and sink the winch down and back, closer to the frame rails that would be the hot ticket. I have done quite some experimentaion with this on the toys with good results. But its not an easy task...

certified H2 tech.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:04 PM

Detonate is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crash:
hmm, interesting. I think one thang that really hinders the H2, the way the hood opens. Now, if you were to be able to build a bumper, and sink the winch down and back, closer to the frame rails that would be the hot ticket. I have done quite some experimentaion with this on the toys with good results. But its not an easy task...

certified H2 tech.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm having my MileMarker 10.5 Hydraulic put into the basket on the front of this bumper this week.

I'll post photo's after the install.

My approach angle is still great.

-Jim March
Arlington TX
2003 Red H2
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder
Old 10-21-2003, 05:12 PM

Patriot is off the scale

Now THAT'S a mans bumper!!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:02 PM

crash is off the scale

wow, thats MAMOTH!!!

Looks cool, but I will keep my opinions to myself(I aint saying it doesn't look good though)

certified H2 tech.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:11 PM

AlamoJim is off the scale

yea it looks cool...
but isn't that why the mount is removable? so you can put it on when you need it and take it off when you don't so you don't lose any clearance?

I don't see why you would need a modified (I would say DANGEROUS) mount. I wouldn't use that to pull a ZUK out of the mud. I can't believe that that modified mount had zero deflection with a load unless you have it braced and tied into the bumper or frame somehow.

jmo - I have only see these pics, and I don't know how you built it or what the materials are...I would like to see up close lateral pics with it under a heavy load (like pulling the H2 up a trail).

have to agree with the others on the rope - it does not help dissipate heat of the winch...cable acts like a big heatsink to help keep the temp down on long pulls, but on short pulls the rope is great - also great on hydraulic winches where the heat is less of an issue. Seen plenty of guys use it - prefer to stick with cable until warn endorses a rope for my winch...

and yes - your grill rocks and Detonate has a badass shopping cart guard

lol - jk det!
Old 10-27-2003, 01:53 AM

Hummertime is off the scale

hey rogue that is cool. where did you get the adjustable mount?
Old 10-28-2003, 10:24 PM

Rogue H2 is off the scale

I thought this subject died.
I would not pull with the winch in the upper position. Lowered to the lowest setting prior to pulling, it lines it up with the receiver. I am surprised you engineer friend missed the obvious rotational stress pulling from the raised position would pose on the H2's receiver mount. Since only I know the material, it’s thickness or the weld quality, it would be hard for anyone to comment on it's strength. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the winch is only capable of generating 9500 lbs of pull at the drum with or without a block installed inline. As for storing it in the back, I thought it would be easier to lower into position than try to unload and install when stuck in who knows what. How many of you have to remove your winch to check your oil? Again I didn’t build this to sell. I built it to solve a problem I had with my vehicle. I will use it with confidence if and when I need it.

Comments, good and bad help to build better products.
Thanks
doug
Old 10-29-2003, 12:20 AM

unaslob is off the scale

i have used my winch more 'around the house' then offroad. I was pulling down some trees and completely bogged down the winch on two different pulls...made me wish I had my snatch block handy..(i do now) while a bit more powerful of winch would be nice, for my case, I would start pulling the vehicle...witch brings up question... when winching someone out or something down/away, have the car in park, with parking brake on... bad thing to have the h2 start dragging.... can anything get damaged..

I like that bracket... but would be afraid to use it....it is one thing to snap a line under a hard pull and having a line fly through the air, but imagine a 85 lb object....scary.. una
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 10-29-2003, 12:27 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Rogue,
Sorry, but the engineers made it abundantly clear to me that that bracket is not sound. When we were discussing it they made sure that I wasn't considering buying one. I was insulted that they'd even imagine that I'd buy one.
I also have a friend that worked for Warn for 15 years and he said he's seen brackets like that before(better ones) and he said they are not structurally sound enough to sell to the public.

It does look good, though.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:26 AM

Hummertime is off the scale

rogue... i would love to copy your design... where did you get the mount?
Old 10-29-2003, 02:53 AM

argonaut is off the scale

The only time I ever used my winch was to pull a lifted wrangler that got high centered on a rock crawl course. It was funny. Damn jeeps. I have never gotten stuck, as hard as I have tried... Maybe this winter i will get stuck in a mud pit. that would be fun.