H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-19-2003, 10:49 PM

Gary C is off the scale

Well, after 3 weeks of owning the H2 I finally finished the manual, when I got to the tranny temps a red flag was waving. If the tranny temp is 265ish and this temp is taken from the pan and NOT off the TC(torque converter)the tranny will be well done, toast.

If this temp is coming off the TC (265 is a little high) and if it ever reaches where the Idiot comes on do yourself a favor and get your tranny fluid flushed(NOT DRAINED)ASAP.

Why do I know this, I am on my fourth tranny (64000 miles) in my 480hp/954tq(rear wheel figures) Cummins Diesel Dodge truck. I have two gauges for tranny temps, one for the Pan temp and one coming off line from the TC, I watch them like a HAWK NOW. 200 in the pan and 265 off the TC is the limits. I also run redline fluid and change every 8000-10000 miles depending how much towing I do.

SSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo, does anyone know where our Hummers gets their tranny temps from, Pan or from the TC ????????????? I hope the TC...

Also, what is the highest temp you have seen in your H2? If you do respond please state the conditions. (towing, hilly, outside temp, and weight of trailer)

thanks for your time

OMT, around town your temps will be higher than putt'n down the road(HiWay).

GC

<font color=Gray>Pewter</font>, Lux, No Spare Anywhere , Ventvisors, Corsa Touring Exhaust, HID's
Old 03-19-2003, 10:49 PM

Gary C is off the scale

Well, after 3 weeks of owning the H2 I finally finished the manual, when I got to the tranny temps a red flag was waving. If the tranny temp is 265ish and this temp is taken from the pan and NOT off the TC(torque converter)the tranny will be well done, toast.

If this temp is coming off the TC (265 is a little high) and if it ever reaches where the Idiot comes on do yourself a favor and get your tranny fluid flushed(NOT DRAINED)ASAP.

Why do I know this, I am on my fourth tranny (64000 miles) in my 480hp/954tq(rear wheel figures) Cummins Diesel Dodge truck. I have two gauges for tranny temps, one for the Pan temp and one coming off line from the TC, I watch them like a HAWK NOW. 200 in the pan and 265 off the TC is the limits. I also run redline fluid and change every 8000-10000 miles depending how much towing I do.

SSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo, does anyone know where our Hummers gets their tranny temps from, Pan or from the TC ????????????? I hope the TC...

Also, what is the highest temp you have seen in your H2? If you do respond please state the conditions. (towing, hilly, outside temp, and weight of trailer)

thanks for your time

OMT, around town your temps will be higher than putt'n down the road(HiWay).

GC

<font color=Gray>Pewter</font>, Lux, No Spare Anywhere , Ventvisors, Corsa Touring Exhaust, HID's
Old 03-20-2003, 03:42 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Gary: "I am on my fourth tranny (64000 miles) in my 480hp/954tq(rear wheel figures) Cummins Diesel Dodge truck."

Seems like there is something very wrong with that Dodge truck, 4 transmissions in 64K miles. I've replaced or rebuilt transmissions in a Cadillac and 2 MBs, think were 72K to 75K range. Among all auto repair tasks, transmission is a biggie. Once is a shocker, 4 times on the same truck shows this truck is a money pit. Surprised you still keep the truck, warranty or not.
Old 03-20-2003, 10:20 AM

Gary C is off the scale

I love the Dodge but the trannys were my fault, when I lived in California we would race coming back from the river towing our boats, the Steep grade is 11 miles long and I would tow up the hill with TOO much power. BUT now I have learned a lesson and this last tranny will last I bet for 100000 miles. Having a diesel truck which runs in the mid 13's (1/4 mile)is one of the most fun vehicles I have had.

So I have learned a lot about trannys so when I read about temp tranny deal with the H2 I was very concerned.

EVERYONE should keep an eye on the transmission temperatures, please.

MAC, what tranny temps have you seen in your H2 ?????

Old 03-20-2003, 12:10 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

My tran temp was rarely ever going over 100 in the miserable cold winter we had, but now with weather in the 50's it sets at about 150, highway. Off-roading 2 days last weekend with temps in the mid 70's the tran temp stayed right on 175 with a lot of steep sand hill climbing.

Ric
OMAHOG/IHOG