H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-04-2003, 06:26 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

There is a big open space valley area near my home, with dense forest, steep hills, running stream crossing the narrow dirt road. The boys say there is a lake at the bottom of the valley just above the golf course, I've yet to find a boy who actually been there, but all said some others have. After a mile, the dirt road dips down sharply, so much so that one cannot walk down but do it on all four. I tried the road a couple times, but both times turned back or backed up the road at that point. I have no idea what degrees that slope is, except it looks pretty scary. I would think a tilt or climb meter might help me out there.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Gee...my whole idea for putting in a guage, (I will put one in for pitch and role) is for fun. I'm not going to try and roll the vehicle but it will be nice to see where my comfort zone really resides with actual inclination. I had one slope I got into (slid into due to being in sand) and was extremely uncomfortable, I thought for sure I was going to roll. The engineer in me said 40% but it felt like 100% (45 degrees. It would have been nice to know approx. (I didn't have my transit with me). I will have both installed be fore my next event May 24-25.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 05-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

Ric,

After all the discussion and reading the various viewpoints and opinions, I think I have changed my mind about how these gauges are basically useless... Just like you point out, they might provide interesting data when off-roading. Also, they would actually serve a useful purpose if, during a walk-about--- checking the trail ahead--- you could take the gauge out of the H2 and approximate the hill's slope BEFORE driving on it.

Personally, the gauges that show 0 to 45 degrees seem less useful than the gauges calibrated from 0 to 30 degrees. If you had the second gauge and the ball bearing goes off the scale, you could just say that it is "TOO" steep?

I think that the lower range of 0 to 30 would also make it easier to more accurately read what the slope actually is too...

Maybe I will use velcro to attach the gauge so I can remove it for gauging slopes while walking around?

Now I have to find out where the 0 to 30 degree gauge was available...

Ed
Old 05-09-2003, 05:39 PM

MaLLHPPR is off the scale

I have to say you guys crack me up!

I guess you can say I am silent member. I read almost all the posts on this site. I've added a few of my own comments. Hey, I've just recently won a contest. I do have to say I've learned a lot about the H2 from everyone. I love mine.

I think the 2nd best part of this forum is the unintentional zinging of each other as well as the goofy stories. You guys make this site fun as well as interesting!

Thanks!

BTW, I'm not getting a gauge. Usually if we go 4 wheeling my husband drives and "I" am the gauge. (Somehow my side is always the one looking down hill-coincidence? I think not!)

Kim-

Lovin' every minute of my H2!
Sunset Orange, Lux pkge, air suspension, sunroof.

Lovin\' every minute of my H2!
Sunset Orange, Lux pkge, air suspension, sunroof.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MaLLHPPR:
I have to say you guys crack me up!

I think the 2nd best part of this forum is the unintentional zinging of each other as well as the goofy stories. You guys make this site fun as well as interesting! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kim,

If goofy stories crack you up, I have a million of em...

So where do you "stand" on the issue... For or against? You say you aren't going to get a gauge, but are you really sure? Don't make the same mistake I made and decide too quickly...

I would imagine that the instant feedback that you offer to your husband while he is driving offroad --- with you acting in place of the gauge --- is superior! I know that screaming and fingernails digging in my arm always gets my attention...

Ed
Old 05-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kim,
Of all the ridiculous posts on this site why did you choose this one as being too much? ( my words not yours, just the impression I got) If you think these guys are being a little to anal over their off roading why not just say " Hey boys suck it up and charge up that hill, or just put on this skirt and drive around it."

I think a gauge is useful for a while. I remember when I was little and just started skiing. Intermediate runs seemed like cliffs to me back then. In reality most expert slopes don't even come close to 45°/100% slope. It does however take a lot of experience to develop an inherent sense of slope. Sitting inside a vehicle I lose most of this peception, and even then it was never to the precision required to determine if it was within the tolerance of the vehicle. I agree that in most situations there are too many things to deal with to be reading a gauge up by the sunroof. So why not use that gauge in more controlled situations to develop a sense of where the H2 can go, and then on the trail you can rely on what feels comfortable.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BKLYNH2:
"So why not use that gauge in more controlled situations to develop a sense of where the H2 can go, and then on the trail you can rely on what feels comfortable."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey BKLYNH2, better watch out who you're calling buttheads...

But, speaking of butts, I think the BEST gauge is the good old reliable "PUCKER" gauge. My sphincter isn't calibrated in % of slope --- but it sure does report quite emphatically whenever the slope begins to get extreme.

Is that what you meant when you said "feels comfortable"?

Ed
Old 05-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly!
Learn the ranges with a guage so you can let your "pucker" guide you on the trail. I hope thats the last time I talk about "pucker".
Old 05-12-2003, 12:52 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Sounds like many of you need the gage whether think so or not, as you are definetly tilted...or is it cockeyed, or off balanced!?!? <GGG>

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 05-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Here are my install pics:

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2003, 04:50 PM
Hummer Veteran

Hey Hum2 (Ric):

I saw an eBay site that has big fuzzy dice and real raccoon tails for sale --- if you want, I could send these url's to you... They might really accent those gauges perfectly... Both will give you pretty accurate indications of when you are on a slope...

Ed
Old 05-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

And you might get a space between Hummer and Man!

Sorry if the pics were too blury for you to see, but one was of the big fuzzy dice (roll) and the other, (pitch), real raccoon tails....forget your glasses?
Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 05-13-2003, 06:45 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hum2:
And you might get a space between Hummer and Man!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's wrong with fuzzy raccoon tails?

I take it all back! Please, just don't take my "Good" away... then I would just be the Hummer Man. Argggh! A fate worse than death?

And here I thought the dice & tails comment scored a ten on the "humor" gauge...

Ed
Old 05-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hum2:
"And you might get a space between Hummer and Man!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's wrong with fuzzy raccoon tails?

I take it all back! Please, just don't take my "Good" away... then I would just be the Hummer Man. Argggh! A fate worse than death?

And here I thought the dice & tails comment scored a ten on the "humor" gauge...

Ed

Where DID I put my glasses???
Old 05-14-2003, 12:48 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Ok Ed......no space between Hummer and Man for you!

And I'm sure Phil won't revoke your "TheGood"

Ric

Glasses...what glasses?

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 05-19-2003, 10:58 PM

TonkaH2 is off the scale

I put mine in to scare the passengers -but most newbies think it came with the H2, and everybody comments on it. Cost me $20 at 4-wheel parts, plus I added H2 graphics. [Please ignore the foam backed tape -it was already in place bfore I saw you could see the tape. Yuck. ] It would be completely worthless in reality -the ball/oil gauges are the only accurate ones -but I agree with previous posts - the stupidity of watching the gauge as you flip down the hill would be priceless.

Anyway, here's a pic:

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. pkg.
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2004, 02:12 PM

chilichaz33 is off the scale

Yep, your angles to %grade are pretty close. I found another inclinometer made by a company called Rieker, may be worth checking out. Has a nice look, and they have been around awhile.
I think you can buy direct, but they are also stocked at West Marine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TBarrow:
I want to better understand what a true 40 degree side slope feels and looks like.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll roll over!

A H2 cannot (safely) traverse a 40 degree side slope, it can traverse a 40% side slope.

A 40% or 60% slope is not the same as a 40 or 60 degree slope.

Percent slope is calculated as the altitude change for a horizontal distance divided by that same horizontal distance. IE: A 40% slope is one where it rises or falls 4 meters for every 10 meters traveled.

If I recall correctly, the equation to get slope % from angle in degrees is percent slope = tan(angle_in_radians ) * 100%. A 100% slope is only 45 degrees.

A 40% slope is 22 degrees.

A 60% slope is 31 degrees.

Do not confuse slope and angle, they are two different measurements, and disastrous results may occur if you confuse the two.

Ric, If you want, I'll pick one up at West Marine and mail it to you, just LMK. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

H