Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > General Off Topic

Old 02-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

...from Iraq?

I saw the news where the state trooper did a traffic stop and demanded that the MP lay down on the ground.

Apparently, in the video, he did comply but the state trooper shot him anyways.

Anyone hear more of it?

Just wondering.

Mark
Old 02-13-2006, 02:05 AM
Hummer Guru

...from Iraq?

I saw the news where the state trooper did a traffic stop and demanded that the MP lay down on the ground.

Apparently, in the video, he did comply but the state trooper shot him anyways.

Anyone hear more of it?

Just wondering.

Mark
Old 02-13-2006, 02:24 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

This one ? Saw the video and I think the officer may have screwed up......my .02

Edit: Video is posted here http://www.ogrish.com/archives/soldier_shot_by_sheriffs...uty_Feb_01_2006.html

CHINO - A U.S. Air Force policeman who just returned from Iraq was shot several times by a sheriff's deputy late Sunday following a high-speed chase.
The man, identified by family members as Elio Carrion, 21, was hospitalized at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton. Hospital officials would not release his condition, but the man's wife said he underwent surgery and was stable.

"He looks good. He's just very tired right now," said Mariela Carrion, a Louisiana resident who was visiting family in Pomona with her husband.

San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies released few details about what prompted the shooting. Sheriff Gary Penrod said in a prepared statement the department's homicide division was conducting a thorough investigation.

"As with all investigations, the circumstances involved in this shooting will be reviewed," Penrod said. "It would be inappropriate for me to make any additional comments until the investigation is completed."

The incident began about 10 p.m. when deputies saw the driver of a blue Chevrolet Corvette speeding at more than 100 mph through a residential area, deputies said.

Deputies tried to stop the driver, but he didn't pull over, sheriff's officials said. A short chase ensued, ending when the driver, Luis Fernando Escobedo, skidded and slammed into the block wall on Francis Avenue near Benson Avenue in Chino.

Bill Vandie, who lives on Francis, said he was inside when he heard the Corvette and the sheriff's car race down the street.

"I heard the tires screeching like someone slamming on the brakes," he said.

A resident next door to Vandie ran inside and grabbed a video camera shortly after he heard the crash. Neighbors then reported hearing about three gunshots.

Sheriff's officials said while deputies were trying to take Escobedo and Carrion into custody, a deputy shot Carrion.

Deputies said the cameraman voluntarily handed over a copy of the tape to authorities, who planned to review it as part of the investigation.

Paramedics flew Carrion to the hospital. Escobedo, 21, was not shot. Sheriff's officials didn't indicate whether Escobedo or his passenger were injured in the crash.

Deputies booked Escobedo into West Valley Detention Center on suspicion of felony evading.

Roberto Garcia, a friend of the man who filmed the incident, said he didn't see the shooting, but viewed a copy of the video. Garcia was inside the home in the 5500 block of Francis Avenue while his friend stood outside filming.

"The guy laid down on the ground and was arguing with police and the police told him to get up," Garcia said. "When he got up that's when he shot him."

Garcia also said the video showed a deputy kicking the man while he was on the ground.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Robin Haynal said investigators were still reviewing the tape, so the department couldn't respond to Garcia's description of its contents.

"I have not seen the tape, so we're not going to comment on it right now," she said.

The deputy who shot Carrion was placed on leave pending the outcome of the investigation, which is regular procedure, Haynal said.

But the families of Carrion and Escobedo want answers sooner.

Laura Cardona, Escobedo's sister, came to the shooting scene Monday afternoon. She said her brother and Carrion were at a family get-together in Montclair celebrating Carrion's return from Iraq on Sunday night.

Carrion and Escobedo got into the Corvette and had planned to stop at a store and visit a friend. While heading to their friend's house, the chase began, she said.

"We don't understand why they say he was running from the cops because I don't think he was," said Cardona, a Montclair resident.

She said Escobedo was not perfect and once had a warrant for not paying a speeding ticket, but he had nothing serious on his record.

Relatives were baffled as to why Carrion would be shot.

Carrion has served three years in the Air Force's military police and had just returned to his home in Shreveport, La., after serving eight months in Iraq, his wife said.

Mariela Carrion, who has been married to the man two years, said she and Elio came to Pomona to visit family members.

She said she is interested in viewing the videotape because she is seeking an explanation about what happened.

"I actually talked to him, and he said they shot him for no reason," she said.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Hummer Guru

Ed,

Yup, that's the one. What I had remembered about it was that it was an unprompted shooting but I never heard the facts. (nor will I ever)

Was just wondering what happened.

Mark
Old 02-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Hummer Guru

Hey Ed, I just realized your from Mansfield. I moved down from Youngstown about 15 years ago.

Every year I load up my motorcycle and trailer it up to visit friends in Findlay and then ride to Mansfield for Mid-Ohio.

Mark