H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, after searching and reading 23 pages in the search, the only posts about sunroofs were rattles, leaks and express sunroofs.

Last night we went to a drive-in theatre and my sunroof was open. Trying to close it, it would close a few inches and then stop. I could open it further but it simply would not close.

Anyone seen this before? I'm wondering if it's out of sync. It happened right after I replaced the battery (though I don't see any correlation in that)

Does the sunroof use cables or just an electric motor and spiralled screw track?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Okay, after searching and reading 23 pages in the search, the only posts about sunroofs were rattles, leaks and express sunroofs.

Last night we went to a drive-in theatre and my sunroof was open. Trying to close it, it would close a few inches and then stop. I could open it further but it simply would not close.

Anyone seen this before? I'm wondering if it's out of sync. It happened right after I replaced the battery (though I don't see any correlation in that)

Does the sunroof use cables or just an electric motor and spiralled screw track?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Mine, sometimes would close 3/4's then reopen. I could manually assist it and it would close. Dealer put in new sunroof and I have had no further problems.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drmiles:
Mine, sometimes would close 3/4's then reopen. I could manually assist it and it would close. Dealer put in new sunroof and I have had no further problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, I'm afraid that is what's going to happen. I "helped" it close but I'm afraid something is screwed up that isn't repairable.

Gonna take it to the shop and tear into it. We'll see what happens.

Mark
Old 01-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

06SUT23 is off the scale

i had the same problem and the dealership took care of it. it is most likely the sunroof module cable. it would have costed me 1441.63 to fix but good thing its under warranty
Old 01-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 06SUT23:
i had the same problem and the dealership took care of it. it is most likely the sunroof module cable. it would have costed me 1441.63 to fix but good thing its under warranty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sucks. I used my "goodwill" card with the dealership covering my transfer case. I'm afraid with 60K miles, I'm stuck with that bill myself.

Ouch.

Mark
Old 01-29-2006, 04:30 PM
mstams

That's a good enough excuse for me.

Time for a trade...
Old 01-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Mark,

Sorry to say, I had this EXACT problem. They tried changing "some different parts" (I don't know which) twice, to no avail, then had to REPLACE THE WHOLE SUNROOF(luckily I still have warranty)!
I hope this isn't YOUR problem as a new sunroof was $2200 CDN
Old 01-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummBob:
Hey Mark,

Sorry to say, I had this EXACT problem. They tried changing "some different parts" (I don't know which) twice, to no avail, then had to REPLACE THE WHOLE SUNROOF(luckily I still have warranty)!
I hope this isn't YOUR problem as a new sunroof was $2200 CDN </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy this is going to hurt... I didn't have a chance to look at it today, I'll tear it down at the shop this week.

Mark
Old 01-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

That blows. Hope it's not too serious.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

Dewi2005 is off the scale

That stinks!!

These sort of problems make me wish I had purchased an extended warranty.. but, when I have had an extended warranty on other vehicles, I never need it..
Old 01-30-2006, 04:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

SoonerBoarder is off the scale

Crap, mine did the same thing. I guess I'll have to go to see the dealer.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:56 PM
Hummer Guru

Well, I took the glass out today and checked out the tracks. Apparently on the left side, the track assy/plastic is worn and when you push the close button, the rear end of the linkage raises up and pushes the front end down.

I called the dealer today and list price was over 1600 bucks for that assy since you can't purchase any part of it separately.

Being a bodyshop, even with our discount (and a little extra help) it was still going to be 1000 bucks.

After playing with the setup and various adjustments, I found that I can close the sunroof if I apply a small amount of pressure in the upwards direction while closing it.

For 1000 bucks, I think I'll push up on the sunroof until it simply doesn't work. I hate to do that but a grand for a replacement isn't acceptable.

Mark
Old 02-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

Planohummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Since you're at a body shop, why not wait until you get a hail job or rollover in then scavenge the old parts you need from the junk sunroof?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:59 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Planohummer:
Since you're at a body shop, why not wait until you get a hail job or rollover in then scavenge the old parts you need from the junk sunroof? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, I searched high and low looking for a wrecked H2 I could steal the parts from.

I'm sure one will show up sooner or later.

Mark
Old 02-05-2006, 03:30 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Planohummer:
Since you're at a body shop, why not wait until you get a hail job or rollover in then scavenge the old parts you need from the junk sunroof? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a fantasic idea. If I need a part I know where to go.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Hummer Guru

I can't speak for other States but here in NC (though I'm sure they have similiar rules) a vehicle MUST be totalled at 75% of it's retail value.

It's up to the discretion of the insurance company if it's close.

The problem is, even at it's lowest price, a mid 30 thousand dollar H2 would take over 22K to kill it.

22 grand is ALOT of repair to a vehicle.... so unless an H2 has been rolled (which then it's probably completely trashed except for drivetrain) it's highly unlikely you're going to find them in a salvage yard.

Not saying it's impossible, just not likely. I've seen H2's that have had the frame bent and the entire side of a vehicle trashed and still pull 20K sold in that condition.

Tis okay, until I come up with one, I can apply pressure to the leading edge as I hold the button.....

Mark