H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 09-07-2006, 08:32 AM
Elcova Newbie

slidersv is on a distinguished road
Question Factory DVD Nav - Mp3 Support missing?

Hello. I had bought my H3 a couple of weeks ago. It's really great, except one little thing. I have Luxury package and Factory DVD Navigation, which means i should have gotten monsoon+6CD changer with MP3 support with the package.
It the manual there is nothing about DVD navigation (It says to see the manual for the Nav). It plays audio CDs fine. But whenever I insert Mp3 CD or Moovie DVD it reports a DISK ERROR.
So my question are:
- Can it play mp3 CDs?
- Can it play DVDs?
- Can I itsert more CDs somewhere? (well, not anywhere just to be able to play them)

Or it does not support any of it and i lost the radio that came with the Luxury package when i got the Factory DVD Navigation?
Old 09-07-2006, 10:58 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Factory DVD Nav - Mp3 Support missing?

You should have received a separate NAV manual, call the dealer and let him know it was not with the vehicle.
You lose the 6-disc setup since the 6-discs were loaded into the radio head, it was not a separate unit. As for MP3s, I can't say if it plays them or not.
I believe somewhere on the MSRP label it will say the NAV replaces the 6-disc setup.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Elcova Newbie

Ok. No changer. I can live with that.

But can't live without my MP3s...

I'll call the dealer, but in case he doesn't have the manual, i'd appreciate if anyone would tell me if they were able to play MP3 CDs or DVD Movies in their factory navigation.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

The unit will not play dvd movies as it is only set up to read dvd rom format. With a seperate adaptor, the unit can be enabled to show video from another source (backup camera or remote dvd player).
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 09-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Hummer Professional

aggiehummer...er is off the scale

No MP3. The 6 disc monsoon system and the MP3 monsoon system are different head units. The factory nav will not play MP3s.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Hummer Novice

thatchman1 is on a distinguished road

ridiculous. I'm in the same boat.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you guys look before leaping? I knew that when I got the MP3 player head unit, I would not have the 6-disc capability, and if I had opted for the NAV, I would have checked to see what that unit offered.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:54 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road

Speaking of the OEM nav unit, here's an odd thing....When I took delivery my nav DVD was missing from the box, but when I tried to eject it from the nav unit, nothing came out. The nav feature works just fine - no problems. And I can play CD's while navigating (was told that is not possible). When I start the vehicle with the nav on, the unit boots with the H3 logo, then the screen reads, "Checking DVD" for a few moments. I can hear a whirring noise coming from the unit, as if it's reading a disc, and everything everything works fine.

So what the heck? Did it swallow my DVD and still accepts CD's? If not, is the unit working from an internal HD? Why can I navigate without the DVD? The manual says not possible. Why can I listen to CD's while navigating when this is not supposed to be possible? I've done as much searching as I can on the web, but no luck. Who is the best person to ask about this? The folks at the dealership have no clue about the nav units.

Were any recent changes made to this unit that I'm not aware of? I noticed that other units I've seen have the eject button on the right, just above the screen. Mine is on the left. It's identical in every other way. I should mention that the dealer installed the unit prior to delivery, since the factory had installed the 6-CD unit that comes with the luxury package.Feels like The Twilight Zone.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

MountainBlue is on a distinguished road

The Nav disc is a seperate disc that goes in a seperate slot behind the screen. The little button on the top left of the unit needs to be pressed for about 20 secs. to get the screen to release and fold down to show you the nav disc slot. the factory nav does NOT play dvd movies or mp3's. But as stated, there is a seperate input on the back of unit, from what i know, that will accept a seperate output from a dvd player or back up camera.
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:09 AM
Hummer Professional

H3PAC is on a distinguished road

Ah.....very cool. That makes sense. I'll try that. Funny that the manual says nothing about that. Thanks MountainBlue!

Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Elcova Newbie

Thanks for the help. The manual for Nav is worthless (it's a small panflet). Can an ordinary human (me) connect external mp3/DVD player to the unit, or does it have to be done in the shop? Any wlakthroughs? I probably should post that in technical...
Old 09-08-2006, 04:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

MountainBlue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidersv
Thanks for the help. The manual for Nav is worthless (it's a small panflet). Can an ordinary human (me) connect external mp3/DVD player to the unit, or does it have to be done in the shop? Any wlakthroughs? I probably should post that in technical...

You should have gotten a real manual with it. Mine is the same size as the warranty booklet. Not hugh, but more than a leaflet. To connect an exteranl player, you would need to remove the unit from the console to access the back. I haven't had any need to do that yet, so I'm not sure what needs to be popped off or unscrewed to get to the mounting screws of the navi unit.
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!