H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Getting ready to swap out the DOT units with the ecodes', can someone tell me if there's much of a difference between the 2 brands? I searched and it appears most everyone used the Cibie. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Getting ready to swap out the DOT units with the ecodes', can someone tell me if there's much of a difference between the 2 brands? I searched and it appears most everyone used the Cibie. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:44 AM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

Most people that I know that use Cibie's are the sports car crowd. A few Arizona Jeepers have done the Cibie's, but the glass cracked on them while wheeling.

IPF's and Hella H4's have thicker glass lenses, making them a bit more resistant to rocks and other stuff, like playing submarine commander. Despite the fact that the Hella's have thicker glass, I've still cracked mine multiple times, mainly from splashing in the water.

The con is that the Cibie's produce a slightly better pattern than the Hellas and IPF's. The center part of the pattern is brighter and has better light distribution than the IPF's and Hella's.

One thing - you can snag the IPF's and Hellas for a bit cheaper than the Cibie's. Hella's tend to be about 40 bucks each (max) vs. 58 for the Cibie's.

If you want to spring for the Cibie's, don't get the version with the city light (parking marker light built into the headlamp). Get the one that only does H4 bulbs and that's it.

Hope this helps!
Steve
Old 06-01-2005, 02:54 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Beastmaster, Great info. One question, what is the problem with the city lights? I ask because I have Delta Tech Industries HID headlamps. I have their city light eqivalent wich they call "pilot lamps." I replaced the original pilot bulbs with littlelite's quarts podium/map light bulbs (brighter and whiter). I have them wired to come on with the DRL's, giving a ghost type effect to the headlights, even in daylight. They make my H2 more visible in traffic. I'm wondering what the drawback is. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2005, 03:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Beastmaster, thanks for the info, I used to use Cibie a lot more as they were easier to come by at the time, but they are only available at a handful of sources here, besides, they tend to cost more than the Hella's. But as most people had pointed out, the Cibie's tend to have "better" distribution.

Wasn't really planning on getting the ones w/ built-in city lights, though I am curious to find out why not.

Thanks again,

Steve
Old 06-01-2005, 12:20 PM
Hummer Expert

The biggest issue is water penetration. The more areas for water to get into, the more chances you have of cracking either the bulb or lens, or both. If the water is really brackish, you also have to end up cleaning the reflector.

Of course, that only applies if you're into off roading your vehicle. I have a slight thought bias bent there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:
Beastmaster, Great info. One question, what is the problem with the city lights? I ask because I have Delta Tech Industries HID headlamps. I have their city light eqivalent wich they call "pilot lamps." I replaced the original pilot bulbs with littlelite's quarts podium/map light bulbs (brighter and whiter). I have them wired to come on with the DRL's, giving a ghost type effect to the headlights, even in daylight. They make my H2 more visible in traffic. I'm wondering what the drawback is. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-01-2005, 01:08 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beastmaster:
The biggest issue is water penetration. The more areas for water to get into, the more chances you have of cracking either the bulb or lens, or both. If the water is really brackish, you also have to end up cleaning the reflector. Of course, that only applies if you're into off roading your vehicle. I have a slight thought bias bent there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! That is a legitimate concer. Anecdotally, this last winter in Big Bear (a ski town), I often took a running start to roll through roads flooded with run-off water covering my headligts. (I worried I might stall the truck.) Either I got very lucky or my Delta Techs are great! Admittedly, the HID's run cooler than regular headlights. After ignition, they only pull around 35 watts.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Beastmaster, thanks for the info on city light. I believe the stock DRL's will definitely get toast first
Old 06-02-2005, 01:56 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower: Admittedly, the HID's run cooler than regular headlights. After ignition, they only pull around 35 watts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and you'll have less of a chance of cracking due to heat. That's a big bonus!

In my case, I'm running Hella's ECodes with 80/80 PIAA H4's. They definitely throw off a lot more heat than the stock 55/60w, and they get water in them quite often. Hence, they're cracked!

With all the rain that happened in Arizona, a lot of the rivers and washes have far more water than I've seen in 15 years. I've had plenty of opportunity to get water inside the housing. With the winter runoff occurring, it's even worse now than it was before.

So, once I get my summer runs out of the way, I'll likely go with another set of either Hella's or IPF's and the PIAA or IPF bulbs.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sclui56:
Beastmaster, thanks for the info on city light. I believe the stock DRL's will definitely get toast first </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No prob. About the city light - the biggest thing from an install point of view is that if your truck isn't equipped with them in the first place, it's somewhat of a PITA to wire them in.

I do admit that they look really cool. But practicality of where and how I off road sometimes forces me to not look at stuff like that for my truck.

My wife's BMW? Angel eyes all the way. One of the best mods I did. And the city lights will give a similar type of a "halo" effect in some cases. It all depends on the reflector.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My wife's BMW? Angel eyes all the way. One of the best mods I did. And the city lights will give a similar type of a "halo" effect in some cases. It all depends on the reflector.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, my wife's 7 got those and they are nice to look at Guess we got the good with the ugly (computer & I-drive)....
Old 06-03-2005, 03:17 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sclui56:
Well, my wife's 7 got those and they are nice to look at Guess we got the good with the ugly (computer & I-drive).... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I stayed away from the I-Drive. My wife's BMW 740iL is a 2001.