H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 AM
Hummer Professional

H2Much is on a distinguished road
Default ***Air Ride Suspension - What do I do?***

So, I have been having some issues with my air ride. The "Service Air Suspension" light came on, and my compressor hasn't turned on since. Not to mention the airbags just drained until the rear of my ride was bottomed out on the frame. I recently had it lifted a month or two ago, so I took it back to the place who did it. They are really credible, and are known for doing some of the best work out there, so I trust them. I posted another thread, asking what it might be, before I took it in, and I was told that it was a ride height sensor. So I went to check on how things were going today at the place, and they tell me they can't figure out what it is. They said I can either:
1. Buy a new sensor, replace it, and see if it fixes it ($$$)
2. Buy some coil springs, and pull out the whole air ride system ($$$)

Here is my dilemma. I called the Hummer dealership to ask them some questions, and the guy there says everytime someone lifts a Hummer, they end up bringing it in and having problems with the air ride. He says the problems are repetitive, and continuous too, and that their customers either end up taking off their lifts, or just keep coming back over and over again.

-Does anyone else have continuing issues with their air ride after lifting it? Or am I better off going with Coil Springs now, to avoid a long and costly continuous future of air ride issues?

If all of you H2 owners with lifts could give me a reply, I would really like to know what I should do. I would like to keep the air ride, but I don't know if it will be worth all of the possible issues to come (if that's how it really is). If I do decide to keep the air ride, I really need to figure out what to do to get a permanent fix on it, before I F***ing lose my mind from taking it to and from mechanics and dealers, and getting nowhere, while my friends keep telling me I need to sell my car and get something practical and making me more mad about the situation. PLEASE HELP! Any opinions or suggestions based off of your personal experience would really help me make this difficult decision...

I do not want to have my first Hummer be a bad experience.
Sweet looking H2 with not enough mods (2003 Pewter H2, 20" Rockstars, 40"x15.5" Toyo MT's, E&G Extended Flares, Full body tube steel exoskeleton, 5" Skyjacker lift, Amp Research steps, Gobi Roofrack and ladders, Smoked LED's, AFe CAI, Dynatech long tubes and cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Stock tune, 4.88 gears, Chrome Grenade Shifter, interior blacked out, rear captains chairs, Solar Power!!)
Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

RCKSTR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ***Air Ride Suspension - What do I do?***

Mine comes on when its cold out, I figure its just the ride height sensor being picky. I wouldnt convert to coil springs if I was paid to do it. I love the air ride. Get it diagnosed by an authorized dealer, your "shop" may be good, but they obviously are just guessing. The dealer can tell you if its a sensor, compressor, or controller.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 AM
Hummer Professional

I take it yours is lifted; how much is it lifted? Did they put bigger air bags on it when they lifted it? Have you heard anything about what it is like with Coil springs? They called me today and said they got a new sensor, and it did not fix the issue, so it looks like I might be going to coil springs... if I don't find a solution soon. The nearest dealership to me is 2 hours, and that would be impossible to drive with a flat rear end on my ride.
Sweet looking H2 with not enough mods (2003 Pewter H2, 20" Rockstars, 40"x15.5" Toyo MT's, E&G Extended Flares, Full body tube steel exoskeleton, 5" Skyjacker lift, Amp Research steps, Gobi Roofrack and ladders, Smoked LED's, AFe CAI, Dynatech long tubes and cats, Magnaflow exhaust, Stock tune, 4.88 gears, Chrome Grenade Shifter, interior blacked out, rear captains chairs, Solar Power!!)
Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

You dont need a hummer dealer, just a certified GM dealer. They have the diagnostic equiptment. Mine has the factory bags with a 4" spacer under it, and longer ride height sensor links. There is no reason lifting the truck would cause any abnormal issues, all the geometry is stock. They are blowing smoke up your a**.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

you just need to take it to the dealer and with the tech 2 scan tool need to read the ride height sensor voltages. If they are out of range what i have done is modify the sensor arms to put the height sensors within spec by cutting out part of the arm if they are too long and welding them back together. once the sensors are reading in spec just set the rear height by eye and do a trim height learn with the scan tool. Whenever the sensors are out of range a code will set and the system will be disabled. Hope that helps. expect them to charge 2 to 3 hours to figure it all out and do the mods but then the system will work.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Hummer Professional

Thanks for the usefull info. I just got it back today, airbags are out, coil springs are in. After a day full of calling my mechanic, my lift place, and the GM Hummer dealer mechanic, I found that you were right on the money Humtech. The thing that sucks, is that my airbags have been removed, and I still have to F*** with the stupid ride height sensors, and the modification of the arms. You see, even though the air bags were pulled out, the "Service Air suspension" light still stays on, because you cannot remove the ride height sensors, otherwise it will be there permanantly (the error code on the dash). So, I have coil springs now, the F***ing problem is still not fixed, and I am just not happy at all. At least now it is driveable. Now I just have to find somewhere where they will be willing to work with me on getting the ride height sensor bs under control. What a pain in my ass.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

I pulled my air suspension completly out and put the coils in sometime ago (20,000 miles) and have never had the "service air suspension" light come back on.
http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...air+suspension
Old 09-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Hummer Professional

Easy Ed, what all did you do when you pulled out the air ride, did you just pull out the airbags? Did you leave the ride height sensors in? I still have that damn error code on, even after pulling out the airbags. I wonder if I need to take something else out, or leave something in that I didn't, let me know what you did on yours if you could, I could really use the experienced example. I really want to avoid going and paying labor at a dealership, to figure out the ride height sensor crap. Knowing my luck, I will end up paying someone to do something and it won't get fixed. Any info you can give me would help big time, I just want to fix my problem, and I am already into it to many thousands of dollars to keep paying out.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

H2Much, Just about everything is gone as seen in the one picture in the above link I referenced, sensors, electrical, mechanical, compressor module, compressor itself, all went bye bye

Might be a couple wires left under the dash and hood that were a pain to get at but when I was done removing everything that I could get out of the truck I disconnected the negative battery cable for a bit to reset the "computer" and the light on the dash has never came back on.

If you still have sensors and the compressor module and the like in the truck the computer is looking at them as not working and then throwing the code is all I can think of

HUMTECH might have the correct part or parts that need to be removed but I think with me using the grenade approach I hit upon the right part by chance.

Ed
Old 09-15-2008, 05:07 AM
Hummer Professional

Thanks Ed, after the last 2-3 weeks dealing with this, I almost went off and did what you did. I am glad someone knows what I am going through on this. I just think it is absolutely ridiculous that someone somewhere hasn't created a process, or a kit, to use on a Hummer that has had a lift, or that might have air ride issues, to fix the damn issue. It seems like after talking to the dealership, and all of the other mechanics, that nobody knows anything, and everyone is too dumb to find the answer as to what to do or how to fix it. That is just plain stupid. Hopefully I can figure out an easy fix. Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Hummer Authority

Try to just unplug the module connector on the side of the compressor assembly then disconnect the battery. That should work but ive never tried it.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:56 AM
Hummer Professional

So, I took my ride to the GM dealer, and found a mechanic who had been with GM for over 20 years. I found out alot of things I wish I would have known before, so now I will share the wealth.

1. First of all, if you ever change the height on your H2, the dealership can actually hook it up to a computer, and get your Hummers computer to reset the height readings to your new height. Meaning, the ride height sensors won't be giving you crap all the time. This is good, because it can set its own parameters of height functionality, depending on where it is sitting after the lift. The only thing, is that this has to be done right after the lift or height change, otherwise you end up burning out sensors and compressors. I found this out the hard way.

2. Second, and I read this from someone who replied to me earlier, but the GM dealer validated it for me. You can go in and have an upload done to your current compressor, to extend it's longevity. It is an electronic upload to the computer system that controls the compressor, that will keep it from cycling as often, saving you wear and tear on your compressor. I would go and do it if you havent yet, it will save you $1600.00 on a new compressor, and almost $400.00 on a new compressor module, which they usually replace at the same time if your compressor goes out.

3. If you ever do have air ride issues, you can go in and have them connect you to their computer. They can power up and turn off the compressor manually from the computer, to determine if your compressor is bad or not. There are valves that control the air going in and out of the airbags, that could also be the problem, so you will want to make sure it's not your compressor before you get into spending too much. You will most likely know when your compressor is bad, because it won't turn on. Easiest way to tell- go to the back, and turn on the air compressor switch in the back, inside of the vehicle. If the compressor doesn't turn on on its own, you have problems.

4. Air ride problems are a royal pain in the ass, and get you aggravated more than anything, quicker than anything. If you start having little issues, take it to an absolute pro, someone who has worked on them before. Anyone else, who is not a pro with the Hummers, will just F*** everything up, and you will end up getting into it well into the thousands of dollars. It is just worth it to take it to a Dealer, or a pro, and spend some extra $$$ up front; to save the mistakes and problems and spending much more $$$ than you would of in the first place trying to fix the mistakes the first guys made. I wish I could have learned this lesson the easy way.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

HMMMM sounds like what I said in the begining.....
Old 09-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Hummer Authority

1. Yes we can set your ride height with a trim height learn, but if the sensors are not reading the proper voltage in range trim height will not learn. Mind you i have only done this procedure maybe 25 or so times.

2.There are calibration updates for the early model years with the single stage compressor which addresses excessive compressor cycling. Never attempt a calibration update if you have the dual stage compressor setup it will kill the module.

3.Absolutely with a tech 2 i can test your compressor. Unfortunatly we need to charge you something for this service, cant afford to work for free not to mention its only an 8000.00 scan tool that has to pay for itself somehow. Most guys will do this for 0.5 hrs maybe less. Word of advice just ask one of your local gm techs nicely and they may do it for free. Never walk with an attitude cause it will likely just cost you money, hey were paying bills, working hard, and trying to get by just like everyone else.

4.Exactly, have had to fix many other peoples errors, not due to their lack of ability but due to their lack of experience with these trucks and most importantly the right tools are def needed to properly service and repair some of the more complicated systems in these and other newer vehicles.

finally nothing above was meant as any offence. I have had extensive experience with these trucks and just like helping out, cheers...
Old 09-20-2008, 06:24 PM
Hummer Professional

Humtech, do you mind if I get the guy who is working on my ride in touch with you? I am sure your experience would be useful to him in working on mine, seems as how I am not done messing with it, nor is it fixed. Let me know if this would be ok, or message me in my PM's of how I could contact you, if you are cool with it. I think your experience and knowledge would be useful in figuring out how to get my ride back in action. Let me know, thanks.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Elcova Newbie

Redwood is on a distinguished road

I hate to tell you this but if your from utah like i am and talked to there "20 yr in the business tech" they're full of sh$t! I have paid for there diagnostics 3 times now, 2 sensor, and they tried to get me to order another compressor. If you have a lift on your hummer h2 they loose there minds tell you "its not supported" and definitely not warranted, just as the others have said in this thread, the lift is completely separate and has nothing to do with your lift. I ended up driving to Scottsdale AZ on a business trip, dropped by the hummer dealership and oddly enough they actually wanted to help me with no BS excuses. My suggestion would be get the hell outta dodge and take your truck to someone that actually cares.