H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-19-2005, 07:51 AM

H3Lady is off the scale

Take a look at this

If you try it, let us know

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....?aid=338&sid=1
Old 08-19-2005, 07:51 AM

H3Lady is off the scale

Take a look at this

If you try it, let us know

http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/tenarticle.asp?aid=338&sid=1
Old 08-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

FormerJeeper is off the scale

This is a well known fact and something mentioned in a previous post on here.
Whether they have one that fits the H3 is a different question?

-C
Old 08-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Mr Hank is off the scale

I was the guy that post the question about an interchange for an electric fan set up.

On huge advantage for GM manufactured vehicles is that they use common parts for up to 30 years sometimes.

The airvents in my 68 Vette are identical to a 2002 Grand Am. They fit but are molded a different color.

My 1979 Camamro uses a high torque starter from a 1996 Chevy S-10.

The list goes on and on. The thing that I have yet to do is crossreference the H3 Radiator and the Colorado Radiator. I am guessing that GM uses this radiator for heavy duty cooling in one of their sports cars like a Vette or a GTO or even the now defunct Camaro. These units would have dead drop ins for the H3 even though you will have to tweak the wiring and thermostat of these fans
Old 08-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Anytime, any company advertises a large increase in HP, I want written and verifiable proof.
I would bet that removing the fan on the H3 and replacing with an electric fan would not increase HP more than maybe 2-3 and that would be at low speed. The H3 fan is plastic, not metal and it is on a viscous clutch.
This is a declutching fan, at highway speeds the fan declutches and rotates freely since at speed about 30-40 mph, the fan cannot draw in any more air than what is already being pushed through the radiator due to the speed of the vehicle.
For driving around town, not sure you would notice anything. I do believe that as one person noted in regard to spark plugs, if GM could add a few HP and increase fuel mileage with the addition of this fan, they would have.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

Mr Hank is off the scale

I guess the only way to tell would be to do two dyno pulls one with the fan and one without.
Thanks for the info on the fan clutch.
I am thinking no matter what type of mechanical fan you have on this vehicle it still weighs between 7-15 lbs the engine still has to swing fan at any speed even with the fan clutch not engauged. With an electric fan the engine should idle smoother and spool up faster (if you can really spool a 5 cylinder motor). This should free up some torque and hopefully some gas milage. After all none of use are really taking our h3's to the drags.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Hank:
I guess the only way to tell would be to do two dyno pulls one with the fan and one without.
Thanks for the info on the fan clutch.
I am thinking no matter what type of mechanical fan you have on this vehicle it still weighs between 7-15 lbs the engine still has to swing fan at any speed even with the fan clutch not engauged. With an electric fan the engine should idle smoother and spool up faster (if you can really spool a 5 cylinder motor). This should free up some torque and hopefully some gas milage. After all none of use are really taking our h3's to the drags. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll weigh a fan on Monday morning. (The guys in the back are tearing apart a H3, piece by piece and weighing each piece separately. In fact, if they have weighed the fan, I'll just look it up on a spreadsheet.)
The engine does not turn the fan at highway speeds, the clutch disengages it from the engine, and air passing through the radiator spins it; however, it mean nothing since the fan is not necessary at these speeds to draw air through the radiator. Therefore, there is no drag on the engine at highway speeds. Low speed and at idle...yes.
I will guess 5 pounds on the plastic fan assembly.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:16 PM

H3Lady is off the scale

well done
Old 08-21-2005, 04:15 AM

MyxH3 is off the scale

nice
Old 08-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Hummer Guru

The plastic fan assembly weighs 1190.3 grams 2.624 pounds); fan with clutch assembly weighs 2787.5 grams (6.145 pounds).

The fan clutch is temperature operated, and the torque to apply the clutch is controlled by a thermostat. At low temperatures, there is not much torque to the clutch, so not that much power is being drained. At high speeds, the fan is driven by the airflow forced through the radiator, not by having the fan spin.

Even if you remove the fan and clutch assembly to install an electric fan, the pulley still has to remain since it drives the water pump.

Two things to take into consideration before installing one of these electric fans.
One, these fans draw large current. The vehicle is not designed to handle this large draw with a 125 amp generator. If it was a basic H3, with no optional accessories, it might handle the drain; however, if you have loaded it up with the marker lights, front grill lights, Monsoon system, etc., you might just overtax the generator.
Also, if the PCM turns the generator on full, this also causes a drain on HP; very small, but a drain.
Two, this one is one that most won't think about, but it could happen. Your new electric cooling fan fails to turn on when required, the engine overheats, and you blow the head gasket (or worse). GM will not pay the warranty claim on the engine repair, and they shouldn't, since it would have been caused by your installation of an aftermarket cooling fan.
Just some things to think about.

As for me, I don't believe you will see a large increase in HP or fuel mileage, unless you did a lot of idling in rush hour traffic.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:40 AM
Hummer Professional

FLYINGBADGER2006 is off the scale

THE GREAT OZ HAS SPOKEN!!!!!!

Wow! Great post f5fstop.
You made a believer out of me!
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

Mr Hank is off the scale

Thanks so much for weighing the fan! This is really useful information. so the fax assembly is a shade shy of 9 lbs. This should make a difference later on and would be a good engine mod for an electronic fan later down the road.
There is really no problem in retrofitting an electornic fan into this vehicle. The thermostats are adjustable down to 160 F.

The other day I took the air cleaner lid off and drove it a few miles. It makes a small difference in acceleration but makes ALOT of noise. So I suppose my first mods will be a KN filter with the stock box, synthetic oil, and some multipoint spark plugs. It should be good for a few horsepower but the fuel milage is what I am really after. The factory is WAY off in it's fuel milage estimated of 19-20 highway.
How about 15-16 MPG and driving it like a granny.

Thanks again for all the info
Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Hummer Guru

I won't even check my milage till I have 5K miles on the engine. Then, I might be screaming or a happy camper.
So far, all I have drvien is typical MI stop-and-go (more stop than go) rush hour traffic, so I would guess my mileage sucks.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:58 AM

hyperion78 is off the scale

I have a belt driven fan on my s10 and I can't tell a difference in power when it's on. You can sure hear it when it's on full... it sounds like a jet taking off but when it kicks off to low you can feel a tad bit jump in power but nothing to write home about.