H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Hummer Expert

GeorgeSSSS is off the scale

Gotta ask a dumb question.

I read the posts about putting rock sliders on an H2 and I look under the door sill of mine and there's a huge heavy (by my standards) gray metal rod running from wheel well to wheel well. Why isn't this a sufficient rock slider?

Thanks,

George
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Hummer Expert

Gotta ask a dumb question.

I read the posts about putting rock sliders on an H2 and I look under the door sill of mine and there's a huge heavy (by my standards) gray metal rod running from wheel well to wheel well. Why isn't this a sufficient rock slider?

Thanks,

George
Black 2005 Adventure Series; factory touch screen GPS w/XM radio; factory express open/close sunroof; reclining second row seats; Warn 9.5ti Multi-Mount Winch; Gobi Stealth roof rack with PIAA lights; HotShot windshield washer fluid system
Old 04-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

The rail that you are speeking of would suffice if you were to slide across a perfectly flat rock that would in no way place your vehicles body in any kind of damage.
The purpose if these rock sliders, is to push your vehicle away from any rocks that may damage the body, and to create a larger surface to which the rocks may slide upon. As we all know the world is not flat, and vehicles will slide sideways down a nice slick surface, given the opportunity.
There have been many instances where if I hadn't had these rock sliders, I would've ended up with very deep scratches, and possible body wrinkling damage.
There is actually one perfect example of how these Rock Sliders have helped me keep from damaging my vehicle. There is a very deep path at the entrance to Devils Den that you must pass through in order to get to the "good stuff". In this path, there an approximate slope of 10Deg. which, in muddy situations is just enough to slide you into the opposing wall. On that opposing wall, there is a big tree root that bulges out just enough to to push up against the panel below your doors.
With these rock sliders, it keeps the root just far enough away so it will not hit the body, and when the rails end, the root actually rubs on the sides of the tires, and not the body. These are just a few improvements of these rails. A few others are: You no longer need to have your low hanging steps on your vehicle, you now have a hi-lift jacking point in the center of your vehicle, and a central anchor point if needed.

Sorry about the rambling...But I truly believe in the product!

Thanks,
Ric-H2
Old 04-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Hummer Expert

Very good explanations guys. Ric, could you post a photo so I can see what yours looks like?

Thanks,

George
Old 04-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Hummer Guru

RIC-H0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or in yours and James' case, small car sliders!

Here are pictures of what mine look like(same as Phils, just not covered with bedliner material)

Ric-H2
Old 04-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Hummer Expert

Thanks guys. This was really excellent. Now I understand what this is about.

Best regards,

George
Old 04-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

George,

You might also contact DRTYFN. He showed up in Moab with 2" square channel rocksliders, which replace, rather than attach to, the factory sliders. They look extremely durable and he can tell you about a knife edged rock, the Rubicon, body damage and the reason he had these made.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Hummer Expert

Oh Hummer Diety: Tower's and sfox's suggestions (above)sound like something everyone could benefit from. Some photos and exposition from you would probably save a lot of people a lot of dents.

Thanks,

George