H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How hard is it to swap radiator?

Purchased an aftermarket two-row or dual-core radiator to resolve and overheating issue while towing.

Any idea how hard it is to swap an H2 radiator or what "gotchas" I need to know about?

Does the AC condensor have to be taken out of the way?
Old 08-27-2007, 06:14 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How hard is it to swap radiator?

If you got a "direct fit" it should just drop right in and the AC condenser can stay where it is. I did it without any problems.
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

h2bill ,Did the new radiator drop your temp ? what brand was it and what did it cost ? I a'm getting ready to take mine out and bring it to the radiator shop and get it roded and cleand out in hopes of getting better cooling .It was 112 here yesterday and it has been humid also so the temp gage going up sunset point is starting to get me nervous. the rod and flush is $65.00 but a biger rad my be the best solution if it works and won't break the bank .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Grizzy is on a distinguished road

I've been pulling my brother in-law's camper, weighing in at around 9k lbs. and I haven't had an overheating problem yet. Perhaps theres another issue going on? Just curious.

Oh and BTW, I'm in central Texas. Last time I pulled the camper it was around 101 degrees outside, in the shade, still no overheating problems.

Oh and if you're ever driving through Arizona and your motor is overheating, just turn the AC off (shouldn't need the AC in Arizona this time of year), less pull on the motor.

Grizzy

Last edited by Grizzy : 08-29-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

it's not over heating but would prefer it not to go over 210 ever .mine is a 03 with 76000 miles and I'm pretty sure the bottom 3 or 4 rows are cloged up ,after 5 years . Texas can get pretty hot but Arizona in the summer is realy hot . that reminds me of a joke ,A texan,a Newyorker,and an Oky are takeing a leak off a small bridge over a stream. the Newyorker says damn that water is cold,the Oky says yep and the current is moveing pretty fast about a foot down ,and the Texan says shure the hell is and the bottom is muddy as hell too.
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by IRA51 : 08-29-2007 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 PM
Hummer Authority

Most men walk up and stick it in. In Texas, we stick it in and walk up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA51
it's not over heating but would prefer it not to go over 210 ever .mine is a 03 with 76000 miles and I'm pretty sure the bottom 3 or 4 rows are cloged up ,after 5 years . Texas can get pretty hot but Arizona in the summer is realy hot . that reminds me of a joke ,A texan,a Newyorker,and an Oky are takeing a leak off a small bridge over a stream. the Newyorker says damn that water is cold,the Oky says yep and the current is moveing pretty fast about a foot down ,and the Texan says shure the hell is and the bottom is muddy as hell too.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Hummer Authority

My RV is lighter than that. My temps don't climb unless running the A/C and towing over 60+ MPH. I have also had them continue to climb when over 100 MPH without towing. The temps drop as soon as I slow back down to the speed limit, but to me this is still not a good sign and is an indication that the cooling system in the H2 is poorly designed.

BTW, I am in Dallas area, so I know how hot it gets here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzy
I've been pulling my brother in-law's camper, weighing in at around 9k lbs. and I haven't had an overheating problem yet. Perhaps theres another issue going on? Just curious.

Oh and BTW, I'm in central Texas. Last time I pulled the camper it was around 101 degrees outside, in the shade, still no overheating problems.

Oh and if you're ever driving through Arizona and your motor is overheating, just turn the AC off (shouldn't need the AC in Arizona this time of year), less pull on the motor.

Grizzy
Old 08-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

I put in the Be Cool radiator. I was having overheating problems. Now it just stays where it's supposed to be (210) in the middle of the summer (116 here yesterday). In cooler weather it stays around 190 or so. The trans does run cooler though. Never goes over 160-170 when it did before.
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.