H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 12-15-2002, 11:43 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yay! I feel a little more part of the group now, although it's going to be a loooong wait!! The dealer told me to come in & take test drives over the next 18 months. I'll be taking them up on that!

If any info on the SUT filters in through my dealer I'll be sure to pass it on.

- Dan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
SUT "on order"
Old 12-15-2002, 11:43 AM
Hummer Guru

Yay! I feel a little more part of the group now, although it's going to be a loooong wait!! The dealer told me to come in & take test drives over the next 18 months. I'll be taking them up on that!

If any info on the SUT filters in through my dealer I'll be sure to pass it on.

- Dan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
SUT "on order"
Old 12-15-2002, 01:42 PM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

If your dealer has the H2 course make sure he lets you drive it in the SUV so you know what this monster can really do. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Kelley
Old 12-15-2002, 04:01 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks Kelley!

I wish they had the track, but they don't. I'll have to settle for some laps around the block...
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
- Dan
Old 12-15-2002, 06:40 PM

JJ is off the scale

Congratulations Dan,
My 12 week was long enough, you certainly have the patience, but then again, its worth it.

Any idea how many others, nationwide, have placed orders - might be interesting to know where you are in the overall queue.

JJ
Old 12-16-2002, 09:37 AM
Hummer Guru

That's a good idea JJ, I will ask about that next time I talk to my dealer. He did mention that I will get the first one at their location, but it would be really interesting to get some overall stats.

- Dan
Old 12-16-2002, 01:52 PM

Congrats...

Now I am not the only on the waiting list... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2002, 03:05 PM

kelleymac2000 is off the scale

When you get your SUTs you HAVE to come to an off-roading event so we can all gawk at them. You'll be the latest and greatest thing, and all of our SUVs will be *gasp* passe, so be sure to bring these SUTs so we can all drool! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Kelley
Old 12-17-2002, 02:16 AM

H2Norcal is off the scale

[quote]Originally posted by Dan:

Dan, is it taking that long in CT to get H2's? We are looking at them on the lot in California. It seems awful long.
Old 12-17-2002, 09:58 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2Norcal:

Dan, is it taking that long in CT to get H2's? We are looking at them on the lot in California. It seems awful long.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the current wait for the H2 SUT (Sport Utility Truck) which is a new model. I can get an H2 SUV here pretty quick, I know my dealer has one on the lot now thats available.

Click Here to see the SUT

That's like the SUT that I ordered and have the long wait for...

- Dan
Old 12-18-2002, 01:21 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Please don't take this wrong....I'm seriously just curious and am NOT trying to make you defend your decision....but...

...why the SUT? What is it about SUV that doesn't work for you, or what is it about the SUT that does work for you? Is it just the style, or is there a particular need you have in mind?
Old 12-18-2002, 10:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

cognitive is off the scale

The SUT is one more step up the ladder in bad-a##. It's by no means a practical vehicle. I mean, it's basically a really high, stubby pickup truck with no room to carry the things you'd normally carry in a pickup truck. In reality there is very little difference between the SUV and SUT. The SUV has so little space in the back in the first place since the wheel wells (and the tire) take up room. Who really needs the 3rd row seat? There are two slight benefits to the SUT. It should be lighter which should translate into better MPG and possibly better handling at higher speeds if they distribute the weight properly. It is also easier to carry bicycles... whoopie.

The real and ONLY reason to get the SUT over the SUV is because it just looks so cool. Had the SUT been out at the same time as the SUV (it was supposed to be!) I would have gotten the SUT without hesitation. I hate pickup trucks but this ain't no pickup truck.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:42 AM
Hummer Guru

I don't mind the question Steve.

There are several reasons I have decided on the SUT. When first shopping for a vehicle I was looking at full size quad cab pickups. The family would benefit from a 4-door vehicle, and I wanted some outside utility space, ie the truck bed. What I didn't like about the quad cabs is their overall length. Just too big for what I was looking for. And the Frontier/Tacoma style quad cabs seemed too wussy.

Im shying away from the standard SUV setup because I tend to buy things that don't belong in the interior carpeted area of an SUV. A couple loads of firewood and a few bags of lime for the lawn & the back of my Cherokee looks like crap. Or when the gas can for the mower leaks a bit & stinks up the interior for a week. I dont need a full size truck bed, just a small bed to tote some stuff from Home Depot.

I also wanted 4wd. I like to head off to the trails around here and do some offroading once in a while. And the drive to my house is up some very steep windy roads which suck in the winter for a car. Many cars just cant make it. In fact I gave 2 people in my neighborhood a ride home after I saw them stuck in their cars half way up to the neighborhood in the snow we had a week ago.

Also I was looking for some luxury & space. Im 6'1" and could use some extra room, and also some nice amenities. I like unique things as well.

So I guess the SUT is exactly what I was looking for, and I got some awesome bonuses with it, such as the offroad capability, the unmistakable looks, etc, etc, etc!

Follow my decision a little better?
- Dan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2002, 12:13 PM

I am with Dan. Alot of times I carry things that don't belong in the back on a SUV. I live on a lake and I am CONSISTENTLY going out to get gas for the boat (go through about 70 gallons a week during the summer). I would never want to carry gas in the back of a SUV. I also think the SUT looks better.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Dan, let's face it. Your reasons for wanting the SUT are lame :0) It just looks cool. Say it with me.... it just looks cool. You could always get an EXT now instead of waiting :0)

For the purposes mentioned, the SUV is still a viable option. You can have the rear portion of the SUV lined with rubber instead of carpeting. I am considering this. However, I can understand not wanting to put stinking gas in the back of an SUV as opposed to a truck bed of an SUT. Aside from gas though, I think the SUT has limited use over the SUT. Even so, I may trade up/across when the SUT does come out because as I said, it just looks cool.
Old 12-18-2002, 12:58 PM
Hummer Guru

[quote]Originally posted by cognitive:

You could always get an EXT now instead of waiting :0)
QUOTE]

Eeew! No pavement princess for me! But if I were you, I'd get one of these... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

- Dan
Old 12-19-2002, 04:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

I saw one of these and I did a double take because I thought it was an H3 prototype! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

It's a pretty cool vehicle I think. I wouldn't want one but it's something different.
Old 12-19-2002, 05:09 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Cool. Thanks for your explanation. Your reasons are very sound and make sense...I was just purely curious and for no other reason thought I'd ask.

They are going to offer some variations for a rear cover. A soft Tarnou (sp??), a hard-shell cover...and a really interesting 'slant-back' style rear piece...sorta a mix of SUV & SUT. This of course leads to the next question....which rear are you considering?

Did someone actually suggest the SUT would get better mpg? I can't imagine the weight difference being substantial enough to actually account for any significant improvment. That open-rear end may even hurt things?
Old 12-19-2002, 05:32 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I was at the dealer for oil change, while waiting I stared at the Avalanche and Cadillac EXT. That Avalanche is a very beautiful truck, better than Cadi EXT, both of them share exact same parts except different front-end sheetmetal, I was comparing the parts one by one. I never had a truck and had absolutely no desire for one, except when I look at Avalanche and EXT, not enough to push me into buying one. I can understand the desire for Hummer SUT. But the 1-2 years wait is too much, might as well buy a Hummer now and trade it in for a SUT 2 years later.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

ooo... the slant back cover is of interest to me. Do you have any idea if it is going to be a soft cover? If so, I'd get both the slant back and the horizontal cover. The hard shell would be nice too except that I have a feeling that it won't look very good.