H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

hotstang46` is on a distinguished road
Default 50watt HID Fogs for under $150 A ROUGH HOW TO GUIDE

hopefully you guys appreciate this, i knew i'd more than likely get a ton of questions if i just posted finished pics of my mods so i took some pics along the way to hopefully answer all the questions I would have gotten anyway. If you still have any ask away

First let me say this isn't an exact how to. I didn't take a million pictures, but more than enough for you to fill in the blanks. If you have some mechanical knowledge, you can see what I did and if interested be able to duplicate pretty easily. It took me about 2 1/2 hours, so with this guide it should take anyone doing it much less.

I wanted functioning HID fogs to match my headlights without dropping a grand. I wanted them to be super bright so I went with a 50watt HID setup, as opposed to a 35w. I should note that the fogs I ordered are probably about 3/4 in smaller in diameter than the stockers, but as you'll see in the pics and in my honest opinion they look just as good as the stockers and definately look like they "belong"

First, here is what I ordered off of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

With the exception of some stainless screws and nuts you'll have everything you need here to install. First, to simplify everything and not have to run a seperate switch to the cabin to activate the fogs I decided to have them switch on and off using the power wire from one of the stock driving lights. Meaning they will be on all day, and with the jumper in the fuse box be on at night with the headlights as well. (i'll get into that and how later)

here is everything pulled out of the boxes. One wiring harness, two fogs, two ballasts and two HID bulbs. Look at the chrome V shaped mounting brackets for the fogs, we will be modifying those later.

Last edited by hotstang46` : 02-12-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: 50watt HID Fogs for under $150 A ROUGH HOW TO GUIDE

Notice the Stock bulb that came in the new fogs is alot shorter than the HID's we will be using....

Notice the round piece inside the inside of the fog. Take a screw drive and throughl the hole in the back slightly apply pressure to move it forward to accomodate the HID. Make sure the HID does not rest against it, there is more than enough room.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Next, notice there are four wires going through the rubber grommet on the HID's.

Cut the two "power wires" as seen in the pics and remove them from the rubber grommet. Once removed, Dab some silicone sealant in the open holes to seal them off from moisture.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Hummer Veteran

Now again refer to this picture and notice the back of the bulb on the new HID is alot longer than the stock bulb.

It will not fit in the new fog as it sits. So you need to cut a hole in the backplate of the fog the size of gromet that you see in the picture so that there's room for it protrude through.

I used a quarter and drew a circle on the backplates.......

I used a dremel to grind them out, it was a router style bit for metal, you can find them at any home depot. Don't worry about making the cut pretty and perfect, it's not needed.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

install the grommet in the opening and run some silicone sealant around the outside of the grommet to seal it up real well. Install the bulb in the fog and bolt the backplate back on.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Next refer again to this picture and look at the V shaped mounts the fogs came with.

Cut them with a dremel and form a 90 degree bend. You will need to drill a hole in them for the mounting screws that will be holding them to the body of the truck. Take out the stock DRLS and you will see the two holes that the stock bolts ran through, measure the distance apart on those bolts, and with your newly made, undrilled tabs mark them at that distance when they are mounted on the fogs so you know where to Drill the holes. The holes that hold the brackets to the fog will already be there. wish i took a better pic but the holes that you see the screws that hold the bracket onto the foglight are slotted. they are like this as they are sent. this again is great because you can aim them when on the truck by loosening those screws and pulling one way or antother. when mounted on the truck you will be able to aim the fog up down left or right very easily to get the light where you want it.

Last edited by hotstang46` : 02-12-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

funnone is on a distinguished road

Nice Job!!!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

Now throw in the fogs and bolt em up. Run the wiring harness, should be very easy with no hang ups. I chose to mount these ballasts here with double sided sticky tape on the back. If the pic doesn't look familair pop your hood and you'll see....

Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

Run the power from the harness to the Two power wires you cut earlier from the bulb grommet. They have a harness on the end of them that plugs right into the ballast to provide it's power.....

NEXT, The kit comes with a manual switch to activate the fogs. But again, I wanted them on all day as the driving lights are and on at night with the headlights. For this you will see that there is one white wire connecting the "manual" switch to the wiring harness you just installed, it is white, cut it near the manual switch.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

now route that white wire that's still attached to the wiring harness down to where the driving lights were. Cut off the factory Driving light bulb socket. You will see two wires... a blue and black. Strip the blue one at the end and connect it to the white wire. This will send a signal to the new fogs and tell them when to go on.

Now you want your fogs on at night too right? I know it's been covered but here it is. My truck is an 08, so your 07 and previous fuse box will look different. But for you 08's. Run a 20guage wire with a 200volt 1 amp diode (you can find at radioshack) from the relay, (connection 87, labeled on the bottom of the relay when you pull it up to the "hot" side of the fuse you see in the pic, which is the right side, do not put it in the left. (you will have a fuse rated 10 in there I put in a 25)..make sure to run the diode in the right direction or it won't work right, one side will labeled so you'll know. don't worry if it's the wrong direction it won't harm anything, it just won't run right, you'll know

Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

VIOLA!!!!!

You're fogs should be working here are a bunch of pics, you will notice they are slightly smaller in diameter than the stockers, but again, they don't look bad in anyway whatsoever.

i will post night pics later this evening when the sun goes down here on the west coast.

Here's a ton of pics for any of you on the edge on how they look.....
Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

Old 02-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Old 02-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Hummer Expert

splne1 is on a distinguished road

NICE!!!!! looks really good, your right they still look like they belong!!