H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Hummer Expert

ROUSHDEMON is on a distinguished road
Default Dare to ask?

soooooo, i know i'm probably gonna get slapped for asking this but i'm getting a lot of mix answers....
Most of you guys say you can fit 37" tires with stock suspension, if I get a 3" leveling kit front and back..... Coudn't I fit 38"s? The 38"s most likely will never really see offroading... I will use 35" for that.

What's the verdict?

Thanks in advance.
20x12 black Rockstars & 35"s. missed.
2005 Black Mustang Roush Stage 1 #05-1058:
Showcar, Procharged 580HP, 20" Gianelle's, Prokit, 1/8 in 7.56secs.
2009 Silver Cadillac CTS Premium
White interior, lots of future mods.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dare to ask?

With stock suspension 38s will rub - go with the 37s. Performance will be better with the 37s too because of the smaller circumference.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Hummer Expert

right, but I'm getting a 3" leveling kit, that would fit 38"s then right? Am I missing something?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

MAXFL is on a distinguished road

Even if they fit you will most likely not like the performance without gears or a supercharger. I run 38.5 tires and there was short time between lifting it and doing the gears/supercharger on mine. The truck left alot to be desired performance wise over the time frame, the transmission would constantly hunt gears and had no acceleration to speak of.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:59 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

it will be a gutless pig w/ out gears or a blower...and you'll be out of the powerband and loose about 4.5mpg, put you down to 7.5-8mpg from 12.5-13mpg.

Look at it this way, you'll be pissing away 25% more in fuel. Depending on how many miles you drive, spending the money to drop the gears would probably pay for themselfs w/ in a year.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

Definitely go with a new set of gears or a supercharger. 3" should give you no problem with the 38s, but I did a similar thing with PB MadDog 39s and a 5" custom Rancho lift on my '03 and ended up putting in higher ratio gears after one month. My mileage went from 11 mpg to 8 mpg, but it was a lot more fun to drive!

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Hummer Expert

Nice, thanks, so... the gears... I know milage is gonna suck anyways, I've only replaced the gears in my Mustang but do I have to do it for both front and back? sorry for the stupid question... and how much? size?

On the other hand, i'm getting about 11mpg right now with 35s.... I'm used to 7mpg in my Excursion but still... would the gears help with MPG?

sorry for the dumb questions... i swear its the last time that will happen... ha!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

What is this 3" kit you speak of?? lol

I just went with 37's. I lifted the front 1 1/2 inches and the back 2 inches. Now I really dont notice how it sits higher untill I park it next to a stock h2 and the thing is it looks huge. Funny thing is I have only had it lifted since may and I am already ready to go higher lol.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumminNBoatin'
What is this 3" kit you speak of?? lol

I just went with 37's. I lifted the front 1 1/2 inches and the back 2 inches. Now I really dont notice how it sits higher untill I park it next to a stock h2 and the thing is it looks huge. Funny thing is I have only had it lifted since may and I am already ready to go higher lol.

I bought the 3" turn keys that come with the 3" spacers for the rear, I've been researching a Fabtech 6" lift forever but i'm not ready to spend the money yet, that's why I wanna do 38"s for now with the 3" kit that I can then use along with the Fabtech kit once I get it, so it would be more like a 8" lift, then I'll have the 20" wheels already and can run the 38s without looking like a reTard! until I have more money to get 40s.... we'll see... but its a nice way of not spending everythin all at once..... at least for me ha!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:04 AM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

you will be taking all the 3" **** off if/when you go w/ a lift...you dont combine them. Stock keys are supposed to go back in and the rear spacers will be replaced in the fabtech lift. I think the 3" is a little over optomistic. Probably end up closer to 2", but I did get 7.5" out of my fabtech...My stock setup did sit about an inch lower than factory for some reason.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Hummer Veteran

transam95 is on a distinguished road

where did you get this 3inch lift with rear spacers?? Im interested in the same setup up until I get a bulletproof lift.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by [__--MUD--__]
you will be taking all the 3" **** off if/when you go w/ a lift...you dont combine them. Stock keys are supposed to go back in and the rear spacers will be replaced in the fabtech lift. I think the 3" is a little over optomistic. Probably end up closer to 2", but I did get 7.5" out of my fabtech...My stock setup did sit about an inch lower than factory for some reason.
That makes sence, i thought someone on here said they used the keys with the Fabtech lift... so i dunno, and you're right about the 3" but hey, its the cheapest way of getting larger tires on there

Quote:
where did you get this 3inch lift with rear spacers?? Im interested in the same setup up until I get a bulletproof lift.
Got them from Ebay, just do a search, they're everywhere on there, I bought them separately so I paid less than the combo sold there.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:17 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

So, the 3" lift really won;t be a "true" 3" lift. The truck will settle a bit after the install. The Truxx kit is very close to what you just got....if I was looking at the same from Ebay.

IMO, I would put your 3" kit on, and go to your tire shop and see if they can do a test fit. 37's "could" rub depending on the overall width of the tire (12.50 vs 13.50) and rim with a higher offset. I had the Rancho kit ("4 kit") with 37 13.50's and just barely fit at full flex. Now, on that kit, it was higher than 4"...closer to 6" in the front. The tbars were cranked up too high though and was getting huge vibration from the front end. The same may happen if you crnak up your new keys too high.

IMO, put the 37's on with the rims you plan to run down the road with the higher lift. Than when you do go up, add the 40's in that you plan to do. I think you'll be happyu with the look/ performance on 37's and you won;t have to regear at this point. Plan to put a programmer on with your 37's and you won;t even notice the power decreasing from the larger tires.

...my 2 cents. BTW- I plan to run the TRUXX kit with 37 13.50's. I have seen the setup in person on another truck (same height) and the 37's just fit when flexed up. This guy is running 37 13.50 18 toyo mt's on 18" Rockstars. Looks huge!!!