H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default brake job on my 03

so i decided to spend yesterday doing my front brakes due to major brake sqealing going on.

out of my experience of doing brakes, the H2 brakes were by far the easiest i have ever ever done.

i think that total time i spent on doing the front brakes from start to finish was just about 1 hour. maybe less.

it was so simple that, the squealing was still there, that i went and bought rear pads too to do the whole rig.

my front pads were not that worn, which is kinda surprising, but since this was the first brake job i did since owning this rig ( just over 1.5 years) that it was better to know the condition of everything.

so i got the passenger side rear brakes done just as fast. the only hiccup was the caliper bolt on the rears is a Torx head ( T55)
this side was worn down pretty good. actually almost to the metal.

the driver side( which is where the squealing is coming from, that side posed a different problem!

i could not get the bottom Torx bolt out. i actuallly went out and bought a new T55 head, a air wrench, and a impact wrench.. all i did was strip it out!

after spending about $100 on parts, i finally took it to a tires plus where they air chiseled it out and replaced the bolt with a standard HD GM Caliper bolt.

got it home, and finished the brakes on that side, as well as replaced the top bolt with the same hex bolt. the inner pad was worn down to the metal. both of the rear Rotors could have been replaced, but ill save that till the next time and ill throw in slotted and drileld rotors then.
now i just need to swap the bolts out on the passenger side to match everything up.

so moral of the story, the H2 uses its rear brakes more heavily than the front brakes.
replace the Torx head bolts with Hex head bolts.

overall if i did not have problems with the bolt, i would say all 4 corners would have taken less than 2 hours to complete.

i would also say that for the H2, the difficulty lvel of doing the brakes is very low... maybe a 4 out of 10
Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Hummer Professional

Scarsman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: brake job on my 03

Quote:
so moral of the story, the H2 uses its rear brakes more heavily than the front brakes.

How many miles on your truck, and did you get it new? Actually, the fronts do about 80% of the braking. Vehicles will generally go through two sets of brakes on the front for every one set on the rear. Unless there is something wrong, I would expect that the fronts have been done once already.

Quote:
the inner pad was worn down to the metal. both of the rear Rotors could have been replaced

Did you just put new pads on with that rotor? If it got chewed up at all from being metal to metal that could be bad. I like to always have the rotors resurfaced with new pads. It makes for a lot less trouble with noise and other issues later.
Wheels - Black bedliner on stock wheels
Gas cap lid - still chrome but will soon be black bedliner
Tail light guards - still chrome but will be black bedliner
Grill - Still chrome but will be black bedliner
Hmmmm, is there a pattern developing here?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: brake job on my 03

truck has about 86,xxx miles on it.

i bought it used with about 66k.

front rotors were in very good condition.
back rotors are a little chewed up, but like i said, im not too worried about it since i will most likely throw some slotted/drilled ones on there when i do the brakes next time or when i find the time to throw on my new tierods and replace the Hub assembly.