H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-04-2005, 03:51 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

Greetings All:

I was in a dusty area yesterday, and I noticed that my Black Taillight Brush guard's two contacts on the outside of the vehicle popped off the body. A closer inspection showed the outside contact points on the brush guard is held down by two sided tape! However, holes are present to screw the guard onto the body.

I called my dealer and Steve stated that this is how they are installed. I pointed out that there are holes on the contact points, and I can't believe a brush guard would be installed using two sided tape on the outside...a branch could pop the guard right off....The Dealer stated that is the way it is...

Called Hummer and they stated that it is an "after market" item, it is the dealer's decision, the warranty may or may not apply....I stated that the Hummer Web site shows this brush guard as a GM sanctioned assessory, and I can't believe GM would not back this up.

I asked Hummer if the instructions that come with the brush guard recommended two sided tape, or that the contact points be attached with screws, no one knows!

Am I being too picky? I feel that if GM recommends it, and the Dealer installs it, it should be done correctly and warranted.....

Two sided tape holding together a brush guard? Give me a break...
Old 04-04-2005, 03:51 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

Greetings All:

I was in a dusty area yesterday, and I noticed that my Black Taillight Brush guard's two contacts on the outside of the vehicle popped off the body. A closer inspection showed the outside contact points on the brush guard is held down by two sided tape! However, holes are present to screw the guard onto the body.

I called my dealer and Steve stated that this is how they are installed. I pointed out that there are holes on the contact points, and I can't believe a brush guard would be installed using two sided tape on the outside...a branch could pop the guard right off....The Dealer stated that is the way it is...

Called Hummer and they stated that it is an "after market" item, it is the dealer's decision, the warranty may or may not apply....I stated that the Hummer Web site shows this brush guard as a GM sanctioned assessory, and I can't believe GM would not back this up.

I asked Hummer if the instructions that come with the brush guard recommended two sided tape, or that the contact points be attached with screws, no one knows!

Am I being too picky? I feel that if GM recommends it, and the Dealer installs it, it should be done correctly and warranted.....

Two sided tape holding together a brush guard? Give me a break...
Old 04-04-2005, 04:10 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

The tape is what they have been using since jump!Just last month the part was redone to use the 2screws on each side.If you have two holes
in the body per side It must have had the new style at one time.These are put on by the dealer paid for by GM(labor&parts)
Old 04-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Hummer Professional

SOFTTAILJC is off the scale

it be easier to get new tape..do it yourself than bitchin about it........soft...
Old 04-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

As I understand it, the guards are attached in this way so that, as you suggest, should there be undue rearward force on them, they release, rather than ripping big holes out of the body that will require patching and painting. 3M automotive double faced tape is available at virtually every auto parts store. Your call.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:49 PM

LasVegas is off the scale

Hart1....I have to agree with the others here. Seems like you're putting yourself through an awfully lot of trouble when it's a 10 minute fix. Plus, you'll learn something about your H2. Screw it or tape it. Either way it's not worth what you're putting yourself through IMO.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Hummer Authority

I'm learning computobonics from Prof dirty
I hope I you this the way It's ment to be used
GFY How did I do?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:24 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

I appreciate all replies. I guess I was surprised that tape holds the outside guards down...seeing the holes for mounting on the brush guard, I thought some "short cuts" were being taken on my H2.

True, re-taping is no problem at all (however, the brush guard is now bent from flopping around, and does not line up correctly), however if the screws were (I guess not) the best way to go, I would want the dealer to the install because (1) to preserve my warranty (esp. with drilling holes in the body) and (2) I paid them to install the part GM recommended for this application. However, if tape is what we use, then so be it.

At any rate, I drove down to my dealer and talked to the Service Manager. He was surprised to see the Holes on my brush guards. He examined other H2s on the lot that has the brush guards, and he stated some were also peeling away too. So he is looking into a stronger tape for all future installs...

I did not mean to overreact. However, I was with some pinzgauers off roading, and when we stopped, I got ribbed like hell for the guards using tape...
Old 04-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by partsguy:
The tape is what they have been using since jump!Just last month the part was redone to use the 2screws on each side.If you have two holes
in the body per side It must have had the new style at one time.These are put on by the dealer paid for by GM(labor&parts) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you saying that your dealer is installing the new style tail lamp guards in place of the old ones with GM paying for parts and labor?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hart, I understand what you are saying about the crap tape that holds this on. When i had the 03, they used to pop of from time to time. Go buy some 3M tape and fix it yourself. The dealer wil just give you ulcers.
I had to make holes for my SUT guards to go on. They use some type of rubber bushing that expands when you tighten up the screw. It'ss take a heafty branch to knock that out. And i think if that ever did happen it would pop the gromitt without ruinging the body... the branch would do that. Make sure to clean the surface of the brush gard and the truck body before installing the new tape.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I had to make holes for my SUT guards to go on. They use some type of rubber bushing that expands when you tighten up the screw. It'ss take a heafty branch to knock that out. And i think if that ever did happen it would pop the gromitt without ruinging the body... the branch would do that. Make sure to clean the surface of the brush gard and the truck body before installing the new tape. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info!!
Old 04-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Hummer Authority

Tech, not in the least.The old style still using the reload tape kit's and most of the time they bounce them.I was just saying They must have drilled his truck for the new style then went ahead and put the old 89006800 in it's place.
new number I think is17801241 suv 43 sut.
somthing strange there.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by partsguy:
I'm learning computobonics from Prof dirty
I hope I you this the way It's ment to be used
GFY How did I do? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's Lord Drty to you.
You did poorly. That's a completely inappropriate usage of GFY. If he had gotten pissy, then by all means drop the GFY Daisy Cutter on him.
And WTF is "I hope I you this the way It's ment to be used"? That's not compubonics, that's drunkenbonics.

Hart- stick with the tape. I've seen those guards gets pulled off by all kinds of things(branches, tow straps). Much easier to retape than fix a blown-out screw hole.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hart, one other (likely obvious) thing: I just used some of that 3M tape to re-attach a control module for my HID's last night. Fresh out of the package, the tape was quite tenacious in gripping the protective red cover tape. In removing this protective layer, it's really easy to inadvertently touch the gripping surface of the tape without noticing it. Should you do so (or if the mounting surface isn't perfectly clean, i.e. swabbed with alcohol), attachment will be severely compromised and dehiscence likely. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tower:
...and dehiscence likely. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WTF???
Huh, what??
Old 04-04-2005, 11:51 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

F*CK! F*CK! F*CK!

I went out to check WTF you guys were talking aboot.

I bent the **** out of it. Thanks alot. Add that to the endless list of what to get ready for Moab.

My Video Collectionez

Old 04-05-2005, 12:00 AM

4churchill is off the scale

Hart did you talk to dennis silvers? he is a good guy and has been perfect in helping me remedy the disasterous service his employees offer.

www.HUMMERNut.net
Old 04-05-2005, 12:05 AM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisAJC:
F*CK! F*CK! F*CK!

I went out to check WTF you guys were talking aboot.

I bent the **** out of it. Thanks alot. Add that to the endless list of what to get ready for Moab. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got that tape, so hold your little metric sized panties on.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:52 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Huh? Stop pulling me into threads I have no interest. I thought there would be some relief here.

de·his·cence

Botany. The spontaneous opening at maturity of a plant structure, such as a fruit, anther, or sporangium, to release its contents.
Medicine. A rupture or splitting open, as of a surgical wound, or of an organ or structure to discharge its contents.

Damn, what a waste of time.

Now where's that other thead?