H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

Four part question.

1) can/should I go to syn oil on the first oil change?

2) When I go to syn I am going to be using Moble 1, but I am unsure of the grade I might use...I think 5W-30? Is that what most of you all use? I will be doing it all myself because god gave me hands and I am not afraid to get them dirty!

3) call me old skool, but I like to change my oil every 3000 Miles - no matter what. Are any of you going the longer distances that the other oils say you can? I just cannot bring myself to do it.

4) what is the best filter to use, I have used WIX for years because they are better than most.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Hummer Guru

Four part question.

1) can/should I go to syn oil on the first oil change?

2) When I go to syn I am going to be using Moble 1, but I am unsure of the grade I might use...I think 5W-30? Is that what most of you all use? I will be doing it all myself because god gave me hands and I am not afraid to get them dirty!

3) call me old skool, but I like to change my oil every 3000 Miles - no matter what. Are any of you going the longer distances that the other oils say you can? I just cannot bring myself to do it.

4) what is the best filter to use, I have used WIX for years because they are better than most.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I went with Mobil1 after about 750 miles. 5W-30 and a K&N filter, changed every 3000 miles.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Hummer Guru

good to know!!
Old 06-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, Mobil 1 5w-30 here too, since 1000 miles.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Hummer Veteran

JMVH2 is off the scale

I have had Amsoil (The first in synthetics) since it had 2500 miles 5W-30, I also changed my transmission and transfer case as well as differentials to Amsoil ATF (trans and tranfer case) and SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 full Synthetic on differentials. I have had no problem at all!
"2003 Sage green LUX, wrapped around brush guard with off road lamps, roof mounted SMA light bar, AirAid Jr. kit, Delphi Touchscreen Navigation Radio with a 6 CD changer and more! Also a member of the HOPE (Hummer Owners Prepared for Emergencies) pro
Old 06-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI - GM has a listing of approved oils at:

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/iss...ds/synthgd.pdf

Note that only 3 oils make the GM4718M approved list. Here is a blurb from a recent GM Techlink about this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We recently received this e-mail from Mike McQuoid, at Norman Gale Pontiac GMC, Cedar Knolls, NJ:

“In the March 2005 issue of TechLink, there is a list of motor oils approved by GM for use in gasoline engines. I'm curious why so many “full synthetic” oils are listed in the “non-synthetic” list and not in the synthetic list.”

Here’s the answer from GM Powertrain:

“GM4718M is General Motors' High Performance engine oil specification. Oils which meet GM4718M tend to be made from synthetic base stocks, so it is often referred to as a "synthetic" specification.

“However, not all oils, synthetic or otherwise, are capable of meeting the stringent requirements of GM4718M. Only the oils listed on the GM4718M Registered Products sheet have proven their performance to the specification.”

http://www.gmtechlink.com/images/iss...e.html#story18
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 06-02-2005, 09:46 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I use AC filters but, I like WIX from all the years in farming and watching how well they performed.
It is funny Royal Purple or Redline is not on the list. My dealer asked Me if I had in mind what i wanted to use in engine, tranny, and transfer when I told Him i wanted to go all syn. this oil change and service. I told Him i was thinking of Mobile and he said good choice but, then I said I have Royal Purple in a box in the back. He sighed and said very good choice I was hoping you would go with it. I use GM syn. in diff. and eveything else Royal Purple and Service manager said change it when computer tells Me to unless in a hard and extreme use enviroment like off-roading. Computer is there for a reason other than giving you something to look at and wonder about. That is the same thing i say about non syn. He said but, with syn. i think You stay on same oil and tranny service schedule and everything is good to go. Do not extend just because You most likely could with no problem. We talked and agreed it is just a little more insurance on recommended service intervals. It may have something to do with my dealer being very performance oriented.
TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 06-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote]Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
3) call me old skool, but I like to change my oil every 3000 Miles - no matter what.[quote]

Call me older school. I totally agree on the importance of frequent oil (and other fluid) changes. I do, however, think that syn is a waste of money if you are adhering to these scheduled changes. Syn's claim to fame, and alleged advantage, is that it takes longer to break dawn than conventional hydrocarbon based lubricants. Even the syn manufacturers will acknowledge that when syn goes, it's gone in a flash and far worse than its natural counterpart. So if you are not going 10K or 50K miles between changes, who cares if it takes longer to break down?

Use the savings on product the way Roxie (H2Rocks) does. Save up for more chrome!