H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 11-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Hummer Veteran

Gunzz is off the scale
Default Plastic Bumpers

Well today I have had it with the black bumpers turning a greyish white haze. I have bought numerous products but everything has only been a cover up. I know it's my fault as I take my truck through an automatic car wash between once and twice a week and even though I don't opt for the wax wash which is the addition of silicone in the water, I end up with the silicone anyway building up on the bumpers. This turns them greyish white.

I have spent countless hours searching forums and auto detailing groups, and have tried many of the members suggestions, however it would only mask the problem for a week or two, and then here returns the hazy bumpers.

Well I think today I came up with the answer, well at least I am hoping. After reading so much that alot of the haze was indeed what I thought, a buildup of silicone wax I decided to give something a try. I recently ordered a product called wax blaster, but it has not been delivered yet and I was getting impatient, so I decided to try Goo Gone. I says don't use on rubber however it seemed safe on plastic so I gave it a try.

With a scrub brush, I sprayed a portion of the bumper, let the product sit for a minute, then scrubbed it in a circular motion with the scrub brush. After letting that sit a few minutes I wiped it with a dry clean towel and what came off was a mess. A load of waxy buildup came off immediately allowing clean looking BLACK bumper to show through. I then used a wet towel and completely rinsed the area.

Now I know the bumper has looked good after the use of other products, I was a little reluctant to believe that the Goo Gone had worked, but I do know one thing. What came off on the towel was a big messy buildup of silicone wax and I think the Goo Gone has worked in removing the wax. At least I am hoping so. I will give it a couple days and then put a good protectant on after I see how it looks, but I want to wait to see it's real outcome after a few days of expected rain.

I'll let everyone know.

Mike
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale
Default Re: Plastic Bumpers

Keep us posted! Very interesting. I have refrained from "dressing" my bumpers just for that reason. Any silicone product will slowly hurt the surface its put on. Silicone is used for gloss and shine. Be careful what you put on your plastic after your experiment. I use 303 protectant on my interior plastic and it looks and works great. has UV protectant with no silicone and leaves a nice low gloss shine. Satin looking. I have used the 303 on my last H2's black plastic exterior trim but it wouldnt last past the first rain. Silicone products will last in the weather but I feel aren't worth the aggrevation after seeing what they do to the plastic over time. (the white hazing your talking about.)
Old 11-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Hummer Professional

porschett is on a distinguished road

There was a thread on this a while back and I'll repeat what I said then. The only product to use on black plastic or rubber is Black Again. I've used it for over 10 years on my Concours cars. I run my Hummer through car washes twice a week, and the product lasts for 3 months before needing another application. Here's the linkif anyone's interested.

http://www.properautocare.com/blacagextrim.html

2006 H2 Hummer Gone and missed

1998 993 Porsche Twin Turbo (Last one made)

2006 Baja Performance 88 MPH

2008 GT2 Porsche

2009 DBS

"I object and take exception to everyone saying Obama and Congress are spending money like a drunken sailor. As a former drunken sailor, I quit when I ran out of money"
Old 11-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree 100% that for black vinyl and rubber there is no better product than Black Again. I've used it on several of my cars for years and use it on the Hummer. I get it at O'Rileys and the newer cans say Professional Detailers Formula on the top of the can. If you've ever been to a Barret Jackson auction, you'll find one of the last things they rub on the tires and any vinyl before they put it up on the stage is Black Again.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

I have never used Black Again but am Willing to try it. I use only Prpfessional detailing products with only top qaulity ingrediants. Is Black Again a restorer? or used for general maintenance? Does it inhibit sun fade and the greyish turning process? I would assume that if it lasts for months it must be full of silicones and oils. Which is ok if you use the product consistantly and forever.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Gunzz, great info. Can't wait for the update.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:10 PM
Hummer Professional

audiofetish is on a distinguished road

TS1 is by far the best. It is what GM uses for warranty work on Avalanches and H2s for fading. It is expensive but well worth the price.

http://www.autocosmeticproducts.com/Armordillots1.htm
95 Heep Wrangler
90 5.Slow
99 HMC4 Sold
01 HMCO Sold
04 H2 Adv Sold
03 H2 Lux Totaled
HOPE Volunteer
Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Plastic bumpers.
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Hummer Veteran

Gunzz is off the scale

Well here is the update.

After 2 days of considerable rain I checked the top portion of the bumper that I used the Goo Gone on. Although the area was not as great as I would have liked it, it looked considerably better than the portion I didn't use the Goo Gone on. Most of the greyish haze is removed but there is a little bit still left. I think if I had left the Goo Gone soak a little bit longer, and scrubbed it a little bit more, it would have completely removed the waxy buildup. Remember like I said, the towel was full of the wax when I wiped it down after the scrub. Now I'm sure more would have came off.

I am tempted to try again tomorrow but I think the Wax Blaster cleaner I ordered will be delivered tomorrow, so maybe I will just be patient. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow I will try the Goo Gone again with a little bit more elbow grease.

I know this wax buildup on the bumpers is my fault for being lazy and running through automatic car washes, but sometimes without the time to wash it myself this is what has to be done. Hey at least the paint is flawless. But the plastic has suffered tremendously and I am now committed to figure out how to clean it.

Audiofetish mentioned TS1 which I have out in my garage. It did not work for me. At first after applying it it looked great but the first run through the car wash left the plastic very badly streaked. I suppose if you only hand wash without the harsher detergents TS1 would work great. But for me it was a no go.

Either way, Goo Gone or Wax Blaster I'll keep you informed on what gets them clean. And once cleaned I know I will stay away from any product that uses silicone to refresh the look of plastic.

Mike
Old 11-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Once you go Black Again you never go Back Again!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:07 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

Black is Beautiful!Black Again works well on the side plastic pieces as well as the tires.
Attached Images

Hummer, like nothing else

Last edited by HummerMann : 11-15-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

funnone is on a distinguished road

I'm Happy with the results i get with using, Mothers Back To Black!