H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-13-2003, 03:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

I was cruising around Hungry Valley/Gorman yesterday -- bent a tie-rod end on one of the crazy steep-rutted hills (still made it to the top though). I think the tow will end up costing more than the repair. I'm slowly learning what tools/spare parts to carry. The rod end is not much bigger around than my finger and it's taking quite a bit of abuse -- anyone with beefier options out there? Pretty disturbing to see your tires crosseyed! Thank God I wasn't too far off the main road (was it Alec W with the broken tie-rod in the middle of nowhere?).

Had a great time anyway. Hungry Valley is mostly pretty simple stuff, but you don't have to look very hard to find some crazy hills, and a few impossible ones. You're never far from one of the multiple campgrounds or one of the main roads (lucky for me). I saw some really nice rigs at the 4x4 practice area, but not on the trails/hills (just quads). There were a few people giggling as I nursed my truck back to the nearest campsite area. I found it particularly amusing that most of these people who were happy to see my truck damaged were driving bling-bling trucks that rarely see more off-road than a freeway shoulder has to offer. Their chrome sure was shiney though.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

I was cruising around Hungry Valley/Gorman yesterday -- bent a tie-rod end on one of the crazy steep-rutted hills (still made it to the top though). I think the tow will end up costing more than the repair. I'm slowly learning what tools/spare parts to carry. The rod end is not much bigger around than my finger and it's taking quite a bit of abuse -- anyone with beefier options out there? Pretty disturbing to see your tires crosseyed! Thank God I wasn't too far off the main road (was it Alec W with the broken tie-rod in the middle of nowhere?).

Had a great time anyway. Hungry Valley is mostly pretty simple stuff, but you don't have to look very hard to find some crazy hills, and a few impossible ones. You're never far from one of the multiple campgrounds or one of the main roads (lucky for me). I saw some really nice rigs at the 4x4 practice area, but not on the trails/hills (just quads). There were a few people giggling as I nursed my truck back to the nearest campsite area. I found it particularly amusing that most of these people who were happy to see my truck damaged were driving bling-bling trucks that rarely see more off-road than a freeway shoulder has to offer. Their chrome sure was shiney though.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:43 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Ron..

I take it you got that transfer case looked at? What's up with it?

The tie-rod is no doubt the weakest link on the rig. Our boy Billy is working on a set that'll be absolute killer.....he's just settling on some high-angle heim connectors and we're all set. You may have noticed me running them on White Mountain?

Speaking of White Mountain.....didn't you learn anything? 1) as slow as possible and only as much power as needed, 2) Don't wheel alone, 3) let me go up ahead of you to check it out first!

Seriously.....post it on the club forum when you're going out....you'll have lots of company!
Old 10-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Hummer Expert

Buckeye Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

GM engineers made it that way. They WANTED the tie rod to break first so more expensive damage would not occur. It may be best to just keep a spare handy.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:14 PM
Hummer Authority

Albie is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye Hummer:
GM engineers made it that way. They WANTED the tie rod to break first so more expensive damage would not occur. It may be best to just keep a spare handy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok ok ok ok Tie rod this tie rod that. How much would it cost to buy one and how easy is it to change?????
Old 10-13-2003, 03:50 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlecW:
I am thinking the tie rod is a bit like a fuse. It’s a cheap part that’s easy to replace. I am wondering if a HD tie rod will cause the failure to a more expensive upstream part. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye Hummer:
GM engineers made it that way. They WANTED the tie rod to break first so more expensive damage would not occur. It may be best to just keep a spare handy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes sense.

I wonder what if any affects to warranty having the modded tie rods?

My Video Collectionez

Old 10-13-2003, 08:09 PM

buddy is off the scale

Just curious, do you have an inside source? It's hard to believe GM would put inferior tie rods in a 6400+lb vehicle. Maybe they were just playing the odds, small percent off road use.
Has GM improved the TR's on the 2004's?
Old 10-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Hummer Expert

Not really an inside source but I did meet with two guys at Team Hummer who spoke to the engineers in Indiana (they went for training). The tie rod issue came up and the engineers specifically said that they are aware they are breaking, they are not making HD ones in the near future and the reasoning is that the damage goes deeper and costs more money if the tie rod is improved. This is consistent with my father's thoughts (33 year retiree from GM (Fisher Body) who said the same thing. They will try to minimize the damage by having a part that is easy to change out and cheap.

It's business!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:13 PM

buddy is off the scale

I guess GM broke a few during the R&R sessions. And you'er right, it's not like they didn't know. At least it's an easy and cheap fix.
As they say, "You gotta pay to play".
Old 10-13-2003, 09:44 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Guys....

The current tie-rod was merely stolen from the already existing parts-basket that GM has for it's Suburban, Tahoe and various trucks. It was just an attempt to use parts already made. For 98% of H2 owners it'll be just fine.

But, for the few of us who dare to take these things off the paved road....AND the few of us who can't quite work with the principals that surround the proper use of the traction control system, offroading techniques and get a bit carried away.....these things are undersized.

The designated weak link or "fuse" concept sounds good, but these things are still dramatically undersized for what they should be. You could beef them up 3x and still have them as the "fuse" in the design.

I've heard rumor the '04 may have upgraded tie-rods. Either way...they'll be out soon enough. I still contend that if driven properly they aren't a problem...but a good margin of improvement can be had easily enough...and who wants to carry tools & backup for such a silly thing?

Tie-rod club huh? Now I feel excluded. Why couldn't it be the brush-rake club???
Old 10-14-2003, 02:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

the service manager (from Thousand Oaks Hummer) called me about 8 am this morning with the news -- broken inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar link really f'ed up. No probs with the transfer case -- should all be ready by Tuesday night for pick-up. Tow/parts/labor/allignment/beer should come to about $1000.

Thank God I wasn't alone when it happened, I had far too much beer for one. Hmmm, plenty of beer...no tools, live and learn. Bring on the HD tie rods!

Thanks for all the info. Ron B
Old 10-14-2003, 02:42 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Ron,

Didn't you have a t-case issue on White Mountain? You couldn't get it into 4-low?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:48 AM

unaslob is off the scale

does anybody know or have directions for replacing a tire rod. it would be handy to have something like that out in the field so that it would be available to swap out if needed. una
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 10-14-2003, 01:35 PM
Hummer Expert

Steve,

Alec is calling you out man. Where is the trail tips section? I second the motion.

I disagree that an experienced driver would not break a tie rod (insinuated). I really think if you hit them just right they will snap. Frankly I am surprised you have not broken one yet. You really hammer that thing sometimes so I would not call it driver error if you broke one.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:26 PM

HappyJack is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve R:

The current tie-rod was merely stolen from the already existing parts-basket . . . You could beef them up 3x and still have them as the "fuse" in the design.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What makes you so sure of this? The tie-rod was not the only piece in the steering that was taken from the GM parts-basket!

Do you always replace fuses with larger ones?

Cheers
Old 10-14-2003, 03:19 PM

oldyellerH2 is off the scale

has any 1 done the no-ware jeep 4x4 trail out of lockwood valley near frasier park its*!#$% narly.
in & out of 3' vertcal creek crossings saw a guy who busted his stering nuckel he was hilifting it up and pushed off the hi lift to turn his rig around said he was there all night looked like it to.ya u need to be alert & think things through pick good trail lines!!!
good luck 4x4 H2 style!!!
Old 10-15-2003, 03:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

actually, the tow truck driver was telling me about the Lockwood/Miller jeep trail. He said it was pretty cool -- maybe he was egging me on to get more business?!! Seriously, he said he'd seen full size trucks up there, so we may actually fit.

Steve, fortunately that wasn't me with the transfer case problem. Got my truck back today (with spare tie-rod), all is well now. I am signed up for this coming weekend's Hummer happening, but afraid I'll be bored to tears after the usual weekend excursions.

Ron