H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 07-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Elcova Newbie

jwheeler is on a distinguished road
Default have questions before buying

I apologize if I am asking redundant questions but I have been searching on this site all morning and couldn't find the answers.

I'm currently in the market for an 04 H2. In Omaha they range from $26,000 to $30,000 with mileage from 20k to 40k. I know they say people with Hummers don't need to worry about gas prices, but I do especially with my purchase of a new house. I don't want to bite of more then I can chew.

1. What does the Hummer get for MPGs in the city and on highway?

2. Are there any known issues with 04 H2's I need to watch for?

3. what does it mean to be a Hummer or gm certified vehicle?

4. Any pros or cons you can give me for 04 H2s?

Thanks for the time and
Old 07-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Pure_Justice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: have questions before buying

Hey JW,

I may not have all the answers, but I can tell you my experience and what I found out from my research recently before I bought my H2.

Keep in mind, the engine on mine is a 6.2 as opposed to 6.0 in a 04.

On an 04, realistically you should expect to get 8-9 in the city, 10-11 on highway in the 04. The 6.2L engines fair about 10% better. This of course depends on your driving habits.

2. Are there any known issues with 04 H2's I need to watch for?
Hit the technical discussion section of this forum. The folks here have been pretty good at posting things. From my past experience in the military and driving these vehicles, the things are built like a tank

3. what does it mean to be a Hummer or gm certified vehicle?
This basically means you get an extended warranty with the vehicle for additional miles and that gm has performed its checks on the vehicle. Of course, go to the GM site for all the in and outs of certification.

4. Any pros or cons you can give me for 04 H2s?
So many pros to mention for me. Cons are not really existant for me.

I will say this though, right now you have alot of leverage in your buying power, more so then you may think. Check out sites like autotrader.com and keep in mind that the prices they post you can at least get $3000 off the vehicle. They will tell you that they can't go any lower, blah blah blah, but once they know you are interested in the vehicle, and you start telling them you can move on another vehicle similiar to what they have, they are all ears. Just have to be patient when negotiating, the vehicles are not moving.

And finally, with any major purchase, such as a house and vehicle, be sure you are never stretching yourself thin. Always be prepared for the worst. So if the worst does happen, you are not constantly worried.

There is my 2 cents for the day. Good luck in whatever you do.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I've owned an '04 and currently have an '06 SUT. With the '04 I averaged in the 11s mpg and with the '06 slightly higher. My '04 had the common ignition switch problem that may have been caused by my heavy ring of keys, but the transmission went nuts until I turned the engine off and on and took it to the dealer. I thought it was something major with the transmission, but it was the ignition switch and they fixed it in an hour at the dealer under warranty. In the early H2s there were also some problems with the instrument cluster needles going haywire, but I never had them. Mechanically, both have been very sound. GM certified is a GREAT deal, it's bumper to bumper for 6 years from purchase or 100,000 miles on the odometer. They also change ALL the fluids before the Hummer is sold and go over everything to include a road test. Good Hunting! I think you should get settled into the house an evaluate your finances, however, there has never been a better time to buy an H2. H2 Hummers cost money to gas, insure and maintain, but in my book, worth every penny!

Hummer, like nothing else

Last edited by HummerMann : 07-12-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_Justice
Hey JW,

I may not have all the answers, but I can tell you my experience and what I found out from my research recently before I bought my H2.

Keep in mind, the engine on mine is a 6.2 as opposed to 6.0 in a 04.

On an 04, realistically you should expect to get 8-9 in the city, 10-11 on highway in the 04.
I couldn't read any farther than this. I NEVER get 8 to 9 in the city or EVER in my 2005 h2 (unless I'm towing something heavy) If you were getting that kind of mileage, something was wrong with your truck.

Jwwheeler: sounds like you should wait on the Hummer if you're concerned about finances. Get the house done and re-evaluate your financial position. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Hummer Professional

Mr_Pat is an unknown quantity at this point

Or start off the a H3
Old 07-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road

As far as mileage Im gonna say it depends on how heavy of a foot you have, around town with average driving (which I think is mostly easy acceleration with the occasional heavy foot to pull into traffic or pass) you should expect to see 10-11 and if you keep it 75 or under on the highway you should see 13-13.5

I drive ours pretty easy since it really doesnt do much to step on the throttle hard (its a 6400lb rig), my last fill up which was 75% towing (3 round trips) back and forth to the lake on streets with 35-50mph speed limits and moderate amount of stop lights I averaged 11.35 miles/gallon. I have no problem getting 12.5-12.6 if no towing is involved driving it easy and I stress easy, start laying into the throttle and single digits can become a quick reality...... also driving over 80-85 on the highway can drop you down to the 10mpg mark quickly. If you want to figure worst case scenario I would budget for 10-11mpg and if you think its not an issue to afford then go for it.

As far as purchasing an 04..... I would suggest buying the newest rig you can afford, I have seen some 05's for around $30K

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 07-13-2008, 01:44 AM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

remember as what Pure Justice said Hummer dealers are in a lot of pain and in desperate measures to sell vehicles so if you think youve got them as low as they'll go, go even lower, good luck with the rig!

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 07-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

I have a 04 and still love it. Sure, I do like the look of the new interior but its not worth selling my H2 just for a few more bells and whistles. (and 60,000 or so)

The Hummer like all big V8 engines will suck your tank dry.....but you have to look at the big picture. DO YOU WANT A H2! We all love are H2's and don't really care about the gas......

On the other hand you could get the smaller H3, but I wouldn't. Or forget the Hummer all together and get a Honda Civic, if 75.00-100.00 dollars a week (or less) is going to hurt your funds.

As for problems with my 04....None (knock on wood)