H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-20-2003, 02:23 AM

cal hummer is off the scale

I was needing gas today (at $2.15 a gallon-ouch). The needle was on empty and the distance left to go said 33 miles. However when I filled the 32 gallon tank up it only took 25 gallons. Do you think there is a built in buffer?
Old 03-20-2003, 02:23 AM

I was needing gas today (at $2.15 a gallon-ouch). The needle was on empty and the distance left to go said 33 miles. However when I filled the 32 gallon tank up it only took 25 gallons. Do you think there is a built in buffer?
Old 03-20-2003, 02:28 AM

Sorry I just noticed I posted the above question under the wrong topic forum..
Old 03-20-2003, 03:52 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

I just paid $60.86 for 27.68 gallons, with 26 miles range left. Topped off and could not pump any more gas into the Hummer. If 26 miles range is based on instant urban driving near the station, that means about 4 gallons in tank, 4+27.68=31.68 gallons. That is about right, close to 32 gallons tank capacity.

I saw on TV that there are stations in San Diego area selling gas for $4+ a gallon.

A note about change your post or delete your post, you can do that easily within 60 minutes. There are 3 little icons on the lower right side of your post. Just click on the middle icon, you post window will open for you to make changes or delete the entire message.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

I took my tank to the empty line, low fuel light on and "low fuel" (or some such statement) showing in the field of "distance left to go", (no mileage indicated). At this point I drove another 10 miles before filling. I filled with 27.63 gal., thus 4.3 gal. left (maybe).

Note: Even though we have a "32 gal" tank, we may actually put in quite a bit more in the tank fill neck???

I have also been plotting actual gas mileage since day one (4200 miles now) and have noted the following:

From a full tank down to about 3/8, my refueling indicates I have 2 gal. more in the tank than what shows via the indicator. At 1/4 tank and below fills, the indicater jumps up to being about 5 gal off, again, maybe?

Here are my actual, (not computer), MPG's thus far: 9.4, 10.7, 10.9, 12, 11.2, 11, 11.3, 10.6, 10.7, 10.2, 9.5, 9.7, 10.7, 11.8, 10.3, 10.2, 10.6, 11.3, 10.4, 13.4, 12, 10.7, 9.3, 11.9

Trends: I noted less MPG during during colder weather (teens to single digits). I had 4, 1/2 days of off-roading with a 1 hr. highway drive each way...avg seemed to not be affected. Otherwise, mostly city driving, and little highway. The last 4 tanks were an off-road weekend 12 mpg highway there, 10.7 mpg and 9.3 mpg off-roading, and 11.9 mpg highway return.

The lone 13.4 mpg was only a 4 gal. refill before my off-road trip, not anything to get excited about.

That's my story!

Ric
OMAHOG/IHOG
Old 03-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Hey Phil:

If topping off the tank is a "problem" for the tank breathers, wouldn't that be useful info to put into the manual...kind of like required octane level/oil viscosity requirements?

This is an interesting bit of information.

Ric
OMAHOG/IHOG
Old 03-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

PhilD: "breathers are fitted with carbon filters".

Yes, I have some doubt about that too. In some cars, you can see the gas filled to the rim, such as Jaguar, Cadillac or MB, quite common. With Hummer, I cannot see any gas, simply could not pump more gas into it. Auto designers buy gas too, they must anticipate consumers topping off gas, thus must include that as part of the design.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

alpha is off the scale

I asked the engineers at the seminar I went to in Los Angeles about that after some discussion a few months ago on this forum and they said that there is approx. 4.5-5 gallons of "unuseable" fuel in the tank due to its size and design and design if the pickup etc. There is also a reserve after the "0" mark, I don't remember how much. He said it will run out shortly after the zero mark (They have contests to see who can make it to the next gas station without running out believe it or not, and he always lost while the other engineer working with me always won) So there is about 6 or so gals. that are not accounted for based on how far you drive past the 0 mark. I hate being close like that but hit 0 one time on the way to colorado at xmas. Scared me to think about running my 12 hour old truck out of gas. So there it is according to the "engineers"