H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-16-2006, 11:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

emeldahay is on a distinguished road
Default Fenders that dont need drilling

Want to upgrade wheels on the H2 to somthing large - I think I`ll be needing larger fenders - was looking at the E&G perhaps.

What im wondering is there a type E&G or otherwise that wouldnt require drilling ?

Hoping I could use the holes thats there for the factory ones... Im concerned when I go back to more "normal" wheels in the spring I might want to go back to normal fenders as well - and if I drill the bodywork I`ll be screwed!!

Time to dance the dance of the fenderextender
Old 09-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Hummer Professional

Humdingah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fenders that dont need drilling

Street Scene/Stillen - use the stock mounting holes and two-sided tape. Put two of the six flares on my truck and then threw them in the garbage after having had them painted to match. Fit is HORRIBLE!!!

E&G - makes a 'smaller' fender flare than the 'bolt-ons' that fit over the stock flares and use the stock mounting bolts.

Quantum Performance Products - make an OEM fit and finish quality flare that you can have painted to match the truck for a reasonable price diretly from them. They're 1" wider than stock, use the stock mounting holes, don't require anything to be cut, hacked or tweaked and would be the flares I would recommend. I've got a set on my truck now. Do a search and you'll see pictures of them installedand their customer service is second to none.

Good Luck.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:24 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's an idea that should work, though I don't know anyone that's tried it.

Cut the tops off the supplied screws, or some screws of your choice and glue them at the E&G's in the holes.

Mount the E&G flares following the instructions. They use the same holes underneath as the factory flares and are very solid with only those screws. You can also add some stainless screws and/or double sided tape underneath for added stability.

Here's a link to my install write-up:
E&G Flare install
Old 09-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Hey Ken, I think You idea will work. It will take a little more skill cutting the screw heads off. You should be at a shop helping to think of this stuff.

I would not recommend trying the 3M double side tape at first. It will remove but, if You get a real good contact with 3M you know how much work it takes to remove unless You use a little heat to warm it up and then it comes off OK. It is a pain. But, keep in mind to put on and off will be a hit and miss as to how hard it is to get the goo residue off truck when removing the flares later.

Think about trying some double side, many widths available, masking tape that is used to hold golf club grips on. Not the exact same as You have to use knife to scrape it of shafts when regripping and then cleaning the goo off. There is a less strong double side masking tape can be gotten at Wally World. Then once You try it out using Ken's install guide and if elements are to harsh for it then step up to the more tacky golf club regripping tape. You can buy it at any golf store in about 8 to 10 inch length ask a sales counter as it is usually behind counter. If it does not hold use the rubber sticky 3M double side and it will just require a little work if You get a good seal with it. If not elments can get behind it especailly in cold and it will come off real easy itself. It holds good in summer weather but, has it's problem's in cold without a for sure real clean surface and contact point.

But, Ken's idea is something I think will work with some experimenting with the tape that you can take off and put on when you want to.

Ken Your rig looks real good with those flares on. I just hated You gave up the Lingenfelter setup H2, The Black Beauty. Did someone get it so You know it had a good home. I would like to had gotten My hands on it to do more with the Lingenfelter setup as they had it tied back. I could have turned out allot more performance with Your package.

We are feeling that once the needed external MODS (no internal MODS) are completed We will get 750HP on the ground We have right at 500 to 550HP now with just 12 lbs. of boost no injection or spray on cooler and no tranny MODS yet. I'm encouraged about results so far but, i have to wait on Dragon to finish the paint adjustment he wants and finish some more inside MODs. He wants to rebuild the rear console so i will finish My performance work at the last. I have talked to Hummer a few times and they feel the 6.0L is bullet proof done right even with no internal MODS. They want me to push the stock motor as hard as i want and if I blow it up I have a free new factory replacement waiting on me. Then if We want to push for 1000HP We will need to go to LS6 head change polished to flow with larger valves and LS6 pistons to go ahead and raise compression up to 10.5 to 1.0. There engineers through My dealer have been incouraging in the slow one step at a time ramp up. The 6.0l in H2 is the same one in Excalade and they run HP up on it from factory. But, everyone has to remember that this is the same engine run in stock Camaro as far back in the LS1 builds all the way up to the LS6. These guys have been running power up on the track with nitrous and almost nothing else to get extra 300HP from 2 stage shots. It is easier to blow up that way than the way We are working with it. But, I'm not telling You anything your an old GNX runner. You know what they were doing with this same motor even back then when that car was out.

I got myself a diecast of that car Ken and it is sweet. From GMP and detailed. I still will get one someday but, I'm eyeing a DeLorean restored rig or restore one myself to play with maybe after first of next year. There is a 330HP turbo'd engine now for them. Same engine from factory just upgraded.
It is a real light ride and runs real good with the engine upgrade. Not bad at the 192Hp and the 225HP original upgrades.
Well I'm off onto something esle. Nothing knew for me.

Sorry for moving off topic I just got to thinking back on that bad Black Baby and wishing I could have gotten my hands on it and put a good tune on it. That got me to thinking about performance. My apology but, most knew to stop as soon as I brought Ken's 03 H2 ride up. Newer members I hope will tolerate me as have all the great older members have always done. I always try to add to help and post most of the time only to help. Hurts My post numbers but, please bare with Me.

I know it will be good but, Neuro says once ramped up on epilepsy meds I may focus better but, I worry that it will hurt My creativity. I think I have a few that like My post to kill time and it does not hurt My feelings. They are My friends and I'm helping them as well so that's all good.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-18-2006, 02:50 AM
Hummer Authority

tomp is an unknown quantity at this point

Most wider flares will reside in different position on body, therefore they will leave scars in different position that will be visible after removal.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:50 AM
Hummer Veteran

thanks for the info guys

Old 09-18-2006, 08:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

I think Im going to leave them on - its too much hassle - Im looking for "easyclip TM" fenders ... they dont exist.

I was worried I wouldnt like the look when I go back to my "normal" wheels in spring.

Looking at the pic I think I`ll be ok - just nervous drilling the H2...

I just realised looking at the photo the current wheels stick out slighty anyhow!

Why did I start this thread??? Why did it take me looking at a photo to tell me something I could notice any morning! Its the mystical power of FORUMS!!!