H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Trip and the H3....

For those who say the H3 is incapable of traveling on the highway, or even worse, dangerous, I say you are full of BS. My son and I just did a 4000+-mile trip in an H3, covering all types of roads from interstates to two-lane mountainous highways to off-roading on some of the worse dirt/rock roads in the US.

Interstate travel:
From MI, my son and I, drove across I-80 to I-76 to I-70 at average speeds greater than 75. In states such as IL where the speed limit is 65, we drove 75, in NE and CO, where the speed limits were 75, we drove 80, and the so-called non-performance H3 kept right up with traffic at all times. We were able to pass other vehicles when necessary. Not as fast as passing in a Corvette, but at no time was the passing of another vehicle(s) considered dangerous.

Two-lane travel:
On the return trip, we drove to Monument Valley via 191 and 163, and we were quite able to pass other vehicles when necessary. We averaged around 70 mph during this travel. From Monument Valley we drove to Durango, CO, and from Durango, we then traveled up 550 to Montrose. For those who have driven this route, you know it is primarily a two-lane mountainous road, with steep ascents and descents, and at no time did we ever hold up traffic, and when necessary and when safe, we were able to pass other vehicles. Going down the 6% grades was performed in 2nd gear, to save on brakes. The H3 handled these roads a heck of a lot better than I ever expected.

Off-road:
We did not try any of the rock climbing that many have done, for one thing, we were on a photo trip, but primarily we had no backup vehicles to climb with and that would have been downright idiotic to attempt a climb up some of these rock hills by yourself. However, we did hit all the four-wheel drive roads in Arches, including Cache Valley trail that leads out of Arches NP, but is on BLM land.
Cache Valley trail is not much of a four-wheel drive road, as it is a pile of boulders and sand pits that are tied together; even the BLM officer thought we were crazy.
Salt Valley road to the split to Tower Arch is a washboard 4-wheel drive road that can be handled by a two-wheel drive vehicle. However, at the split to the required high-clearance 4-wheel drive road, it turns into one nasty road; not as nasty as Cache Valley, but again a road that consists of rocks, ledges and deep sand pits.

SALT VALLEY TRAIL

SALT VALLEY TRAIL AS VIEWED FROM INSIDE

The trail to Gemini Bridges (Arches), which leads off route 191, is a very steep rocky and sandy road that takes some high ground clearances. The Jeep in front of us, which was primarily stock except for larger tires, left his marks everywhere due to dragging the fuel tank shield on the rocks. Not once did the H3 drag on any rocks. Not once did the H3 ever stop due to any obstructions; including the large sand pit the Jeep had trouble in, but did manage to make it through.
There were times I had to engaged the rear locker, but primarily, for most of the roads we were fine in 4-wheel hi lock.
Schafer trail out of Canyonlands to where it meets up with the White Rim trail and Potash Road is in terrible condition; however, it was no problem, and was not a problem for my Jeep last year. Long Canyon road, which is considered a road driveable by a two-wheel, high clearance vehicle, would not be passable for a two-wheel drive vehicle. At the start of the road is a quarter mile sand pit that the H3 sunk into, and 4-wheel low was required. The remainder of the road would be ok for a two-wheel drive vehicle.

Fuel mileage on the trip was strange. It appears that the H3 does not like high-speed and wind. My son and I kept a meticulous log of the fuel mileage from Start to return, and it does appear, that at speeds above 75, and going into the wind, the H3 does not meet the figures displayed by GM. However, on speeds at 75 or above, with the wind behind the H3 (east to west travel), the H3 actually meets the figures displayed by GM. What confused us was on the two-lane mountain roads, the H3 received great fuel economy, a hell of a lot better than I would have imagined. I guess for every ascent, there is an equal descent that saved on fuel mileage.

In summary, the H3 was a pleasure to drive; especially when compared to a Jeep in the crosswinds of Kansas. Seats were comfortable for both of us, it had adequate power to pass when necessary and did not seem to be straining at 80+ miles per hour, or when ascending deep mountains. It did downshift quite a bit to second gear, but that would be expected and evidently did not cause any problems. At times, it did not downshift fast enough; so a little kick of the throttle gave it the needed boost to downshift. Cruise control was adequate on the Interstate and the two-lane roads that had no extreme ascents; on those with extreme ascents, it did not downshift fast enough, but would eventually catch up to the set speed.

Only problems we encountered were the one day the engine sounded like it was racing, even when descending down the roads, the 4-wheel drive failed light came on a few times, but a shut down and restart cleared the problem, and it never crippled us in any ways. (First time was descending Shafer trail, second time was on Gemini Bridge road, and once on Cache Valley trail.) One other problem was the rear hatch handle. At one point it was so packed with red dirt/sand it would not release and close. However, a quick shot of air into the mechanism cleared it and it operated fine from then on.

Did it scream up the ascents like my Vette?NO, but it is not a Vette. Was it adequate to drive under all the conditions we encountered?.YES; more than adequate, and when compared to my Jeep, it was better not only on the highway, but on the 4-wheel drive roads.

The two of us completely filled the luggage area and back seat with camera equipment and duffle bags full of clothes, computers, and other miscellaneous items such as a high-amp starter pack, DC/AC converter, tools, etc. My Jeep would not have held as much equipment and bags. However, if there were more than two of us, with comparable equipment, a luggage carrier would have been required for the top rack.

Fuel mileage, here is the actual fuel mileages from service station to service station with the types of roads listed.

From MI via I-94/I-80 (includes time on two-lane highways, side trip to East Lansing to pick up the kid, but primarily Interstate) to New Lenox, IL ? 19.566 gallons; 332.40 miles ? 16.988 mpg

I-80 to Des Moines, IA ? 18.539 gallons; 317.00 miles ? 17.099 mpg

I-80 to Greenwood, NE ? 9.832 gallons; 167.20 miles ? 17.005 mpg

I-80 to Big Springs, NE ? 19.672 gallons; 319.40 miles ? 16.236 mpg

I-80/I-76 to Tonville, CO ? 10.475 gallons; 172.30 miles ? 16.448 mpg

I-70 to Grand Junction, CO ? 13.456 gallons; 266.90 miles ? 19.835 mpg

I-70/Route 128 to Moab, UT ? 10.415 gallons; 187.20 miles ? 17.974 mpg (includes some driving around Arches National Park)

In and around Moab ? 11.609 gallons; 184.40 miles ? 15.918 mpg

In and around Moab ? 13.871 gallons; 220.20 miles ? 15.874 mpg

In and around Moab to Blanding ? 11.972 gallons; 200.50 miles ? 16.747 mpg

Blanding, UT to Monument Valley (time to drive the MV tourist road) to Cortez, CO (trip to top of Mesa Verde and back to Cortez) ? 16.296 gallons; 291.60 miles ? 17.893 mpg

Cortez to Poncha Springs, CO, via Durango, Montrose, including side trips in Durango, Silverton and a few off-road scenic areas ? 15.155 gallons; 282.90 miles ? 18.653 mpg

Poncha Springs to Colby KS (via two-lane highways and I-70) ? 18.120 gallons; 325.80 miles ? 17.98 mpg.

I-70 to KS Turnpike service area, east of Topeka, KS ? 29.584 gallons; 321.90 miles ? 15.638 mpg

I-70 to Vandalia, IL ? 20.007 gallons; 365.90 miles ? 18.288 mpg

I-70/I-69 to Fremont, IN ? 19.671 gallons; 355.30 miles ? 18.057 mpg

I-69/I-96 to M-59 to Rochester Hills (plus a side trip to drop off my son in East Lansing) ? 9.034 gallons; 168 miles ? 18.596 mpg

Average for trip: 17.269 mpg.

Temps:
Highest temps noted on the temp gage were 3/4 and that was idling after climbing a trail. The following was the temp gage after running Salt Valley Trail. Photo taken immediately as we stopped the vehicle to photograph Eye of the Whale Arch.

Now, will the tires ever be black again, and the mud flaps are a big help.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:23 PM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Trip and the H3....

Looks like you had a great trip. I'll be intersted to hear what's up with the roar. Are you going to check the computer to see if any codes were set?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Hummer Guru

Don't believe any codes were set, at least anything serious, since the check engine light should have illuminated, but yes, I will be connecting a tech 2 first thing in the AM at work.

As for photos, very few taken of the H3, we were there to take lanscape photos.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Hummer Veteran

Hummer3 is off the scale

Nice trip and report. Quality time with the son also.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty pics please
Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer3
Nice trip and report. Quality time with the son also.

The real important part of the trip. We had a ball, on the trip, at the arches, hiking miles into the desert, on the 4x4 roads and in the Slickrock Bar... Still feels strange (and OLD) to sit at a bar with your own kid. the waitresses were trying to deal him, while ignoring the old man.

The KID:
While taking photos of Turret Arch through North Windows Arch:

Turret Arch through North Windows Arch:

H3 in rest area at Mesa Verde National Park:

Last edited by f5fstop : 07-10-2006 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

Great to have you back. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip - thanks for the detailed report.
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice
Thank you.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:11 AM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the info
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 07-10-2006, 04:19 AM
Steve - SanJose

Nice trip, what a road warrior (and offroad too). Interesting observation about good gas mileage on winding 2 lane roads. I had a couple of similar experiences. I have a tendency to push 75-85+mph on open freeways no matter what wind conditions are which doesn't help mileage.

S.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:49 AM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

OOOOtah.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

Great report...sounds like you had a blast. Thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 03:57 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

Very Cool! Info on the H3 and what sounds like a great time with your son! Awesome! Thanks. Love the pics.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 07-10-2006, 04:36 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

That is great country out there. I love the 4 corners area.

When I go in the summer I try to end up in the San Juan mtns to cool off

I am glad you are enjoying your H3.

Just a little different than the Jeep huh?

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 07-10-2006, 06:54 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thnaks for the report! Great information
Old 07-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

DWPC is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree 95%. The H3 is a great road vehicle for long distance driving; great handling, comfortable, fairly quiet. BUT, the H3 can't handle long grades (unless you you don't mind screaming at 4000+RPM). We frequently drive the H3 from the LA area to N.AZ, and I dread the long grade stretches on I-10, especially between Indio and San Bernadino on the return trip. Traffic is always heavy, and if you can't hold 75, you get run over. On grades, the H3 reminds me of my old non-turbo Mercedes 300D diesel, and its not a fond memory.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:06 PM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point

Great info. I printed the body to share with prospective buyers. I will try and track how usefull it is for the customers
Old 07-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Hummer Authority

Demo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: The Trip and the H3....

Thanks for taking the time to write that report. It was very informative and well written.
Three cheers for Fstop!!
Old 07-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Hummer Guru

DDWH is an unknown quantity at this point

Great trip report fstop!!