H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

dna is off the scale
Default my rpm fluctuates during idle (especially when engine not warmed up yet)

In the last few months, I have noticed that my engine fluctuates, on occasion, during idle. If it does happen, I find it normally happens within the first 15 minutes of being started. My normal idle rpm is 600. When I get this fluctuate, the rpm fluctuates from 600rpm to 400rpm, then back to 600rpm and back to 400, etc, etc, etc. Once I drive off, everything is fine until the next red light. Then I may or may not get this. In a very few rare cases, the engine has stalled too due to the low 400 rpm.

Other than that, engine is strong and no other signs of problems.

Can someone give me some suggestions to what the problem may be? Could my plugs need replacement? Could it be the plug wires?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 02:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Planohummer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: my rpm fluctuates during idle (especially when engine not warmed up yet)

H1/2/3?
what year?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Pure_Justice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: my rpm fluctuates during idle (especially when engine not warmed up yet)

Hey DNA,

Had a similiar problem with my old vehicle. Without knowing what maintence has been performed on your vehicle and state of your vehicle, I can only speculate as to what is wrong, but here is what I did.

1) Up my octane from 87 to 89 with a octane booster, then next will with a fuel injector cleaner. Cheap gas from the wrong gas station has a way of ruining your engine sometimes, especially when they don't always give you 87 octane gas.

2) Changed out spark plug with platinum single elements. Whatever you do, DO NOT use platinum 4's. The resistences on the elements are not made for most trucks.

3) Change out air filter

4) Check all vacuum lines and tighten if needed.

I usually like to take the cheap approaches first, then when that doesn't work, I hit the manuals. Then if that doesn't work, the mechanic.

Good luck, hope I was of some help.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

I have had a similar issue, that is intermittant so it's impossib;e to show the dealer...
Can be warm or cold engine, first noticed, while driving down highway, doing 65, RPMs at 2K or so. As I get off onto an offramp, push in clutch, take it out of gear, and RPMs stay at 2K. They dont come down until the truck comes to a stop. Which means engine revs for 5-10 seconds.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 08-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my '04 after it got about 30,000 miles on it. It was a rough surging idle when cold, that got better but was still rough warm. The dealer suggested a can of injector cleaner and switching to premium gas. It worked and saved me from one of those expensive injector cleanings.
I was so thankful for the honesty of the service department that they got my business when I bought my '06 H2. Give it 300 miles and use a can of the injector cleaner on consecutive fill ups.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 08-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

dna is off the scale

Thanks for the aguys. I will try the iunjector cleaner, and then the new plugs if still needed.

BTW, it is a 2003 H2 with about 60000 miles. Has been very good to me over the last 4 years. Other than very frequent oil changes and cleaning the K&N filter annually, I have done no other service.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Hummer Veteran

Planohummer is an unknown quantity at this point

clean throttle body/plate and MAF, should take care of you. There's a PCM reflash from GM for that condition but it only applies to when you put it in park.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Hummer Professional

CBR_Raven is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna
In the last few months, I have noticed that my engine fluctuates, on occasion, during idle. If it does happen, I find it normally happens within the first 15 minutes of being started. My normal idle rpm is 600. When I get this fluctuate, the rpm fluctuates from 600rpm to 400rpm, then back to 600rpm and back to 400, etc, etc, etc. Once I drive off, everything is fine until the next red light. Then I may or may not get this. In a very few rare cases, the engine has stalled too due to the low 400 rpm.

Other than that, engine is strong and no other signs of problems.

Can someone give me some suggestions to what the problem may be? Could my plugs need replacement? Could it be the plug wires?

Thanks

did you ever figure out what the problem was...my H2 just started doing the same thing a few days ago.

2018 Polaris GEM e4
2019 Land Rover Range Rover HSE
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 Sport Edition
2022 Can-Am Maverick X3 XRS Turbo RR
Old 10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Hummer Expert

splne1 is on a distinguished road

Clean the MAF and change the plugs maybe even change the O2 sensor for good measure.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Hummer Professional

CBR_Raven is off the scale

i've already cleaned the MAF sensor...is there any way to diagnose the problem and find out exactly whats going wrong without taking it in to the dealer

2018 Polaris GEM e4
2019 Land Rover Range Rover HSE
2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z71 Sport Edition
2022 Can-Am Maverick X3 XRS Turbo RR