H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Hummer Novice

H2 Guy is off the scale
Default HELP!! ELECTRICAL SHORT OF SOME SORT...

WHATS UP EVERYONE...

IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS OR KNOWS WHAT JUST HAPPENED PLEASE EXPLIAN....

WHERE TO START,

i DROVE THE CAR SATURDAY TO THE ZOO, EVERYTHING WAS FINE GOT HOME PARKED IT FOR THE EVENING. SUNDAY WENT TO START IT TO GO TO THE BEACH BATTERY WAS DEAD !!! I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS IN THE PAST TWO YEARS BUT MIRROR REPLACEMENTS...

JUMP START THE CAR WITH A BATTERY PACK EVERYTHING WAS OK.
MADE THE BEACH AND BACK HOME NO PROBLEMS.. BUT THE TRUCK DID STILL SEEM TO HAVE A WEAK START EVEN AFTER A HOUR DRIVE TO THE SHORE..

WENT TO GO TO THE MOVIES THAT NIGHT STARTED TO GET ON THE HIGH WAY AND LIKE A POP, AND FLASH HAPPENED ALL LIGHTS INSIDE AND OUT FLASHED LIKE SOMETHING(ZAPPED IT) SHORTED ... BUT TRUCK NEVER SHUT DOWN BUT ONE THING I NOTICED WAS MY ENGINE RUNNING TIME CHANGED TO 0.4 FROM LIKE HOURS ....

IM WONDERING DID MY ALTERNATOR SHORT OUT OR SOMETHING & NOW FRIED SOMETHING IN THE CLUSTER OR COMPUTER..

JUST FREAKY , ANY SUGESTIONS VERY APPRECIATED..

THANKS STEVE
Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP!! ELECTRICAL SHORT OF SOME SORT...

wow...thats freaky for sure...never heard of anything like that before....especially the time being reset....you sure you weren't abducted by aliens?

There are some really good people on the site that have seen about anything that can happen to a hummer...so hopefully one has seen this and will help you out!

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never heard of this before, but it sound like a loose connection in one of the primary wires. I would definitely call the dealer and have them or Onstar tow it in for examination. I would not even turn the key on again. And make cerain that your auto insurance covers electrical fires.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

KingVinnie is on a distinguished road

Have the atl and battery checked. They do this free at most places. Also like tower said check and the cables for tightness. Even a slightly loose cable can reek havoc.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:20 PM
Elcova Rookie

OWSI is on a distinguished road

I had something similar happen in a Chevy Blazer once. Had a couple electrical problems first like a dead battery and goofy one time things. The thing finally smoked itself one day and the windows/locks wouldn't work. Accompanied by the burning smell. The dealer finally found that someone in the factory had screwed the center console down on a wire bundle and pinched it. They fixed it and all was well after, but, take it to the dealer and don't take it back from them until they find something good and solid to blame it on. Trust me, there is something shorted somewhere. It might be easier to find now that you have things that are inoperable. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

The battery going dead over a day or 2 is commonly known by dealer to check front pass. seat controlls. They would be left in a closed position draining the battery. Normally when pass. had moved seat to a maximum position of course and control stuck there even if switch cover itself returned to normal center. I had dealer tell me to go and manipulate the control put charger on and try it out. This is how we quickly worked it out I drove in and service put new switch in.

The other problems you mentioned are as strange as I have heard of concerning electrical in a H2. If you are really really concerned disconnect the battery ground until you get it towed to dealer. If I had rig in my hands I would be able to look around and also take covers off to look at main cable runs to figure it out. If you are not comfortable doing that take rig to dealer. They can check out basic stuff but, most likely you will get the deal we have all gotten from some dealer at one point in time and that is we could not find the problem, it is just one of those intermentent type deals. If it happens again and you are out near by run it in so we can maybe catch problem. The thing is they are really not most of the time trying to play a game with you and it does need to happen while they have the rig.

It does sound like to me a wire runner may be pinched. Dragon and I have had an H2 taken completely apart inside and out sevearal times and will many more times in future upgrading. I would recommend letting dealer check it out. We do not take my rig to dealer. We diagnose and they ship us parts. They are a sponsor so we get leway like that.

Hope You get it taken care off. Wish I could be more help. Electrical and a few other things you have to get your hands and eyes on.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 09-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Hummer Novice

H2 Guy is off the scale

THANKS EVERYONE.. WENT TO AUTO Z0NE BATTERY, SHOT CALLED DEALER BATTERY IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY....

I FORGOT TO MENTIONED ALSO WHEN THAT WHOLE FLASH THING HAPPENED SERVIVE AIRBAG CAME ON BUT QUICKLY WENT OFF....

THANKS AGAIN EVEYONE KEEP YOU POSTED , ANY OTHERS WITH IDEA'S KEEP EM COMING.... END RESULT I KNOW WILLL BE TO BRING IT TO THE DEALER, JUST DONT WANNA BE WITH OUT A TRUCK FOR A WHILE ELECTRICAL COULD TAKE FOREVER SOMETIMES !! HOPEFULLY GET A LOANER...
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem with my Z06.... battery went dead after a day or so for no reason and then the car would sit for a week and start right up (very irratic problems). Drove the car to grab something to eat and came out to nothing... completely dead, jumped it and drove it home while some very strange things happened (warning lights on the dash, wierd radio noises, gauges jumping all over etc....), tried starting it after getting it back in the garage and it was dead as could be. I replaced the battery and its as good as new.

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Hummer Novice

H2 Guy is off the scale

replaced the battary everythings fine.... im just wondering about the engine hours.. as i mentioned it no longer is like a clock reading but 8.9 wondering did it short something.

i just dont want headeaches from the dealer when it goes for sercive that its been tampered with or something...
Old 09-08-2007, 12:23 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road

I would be more concerned about mileage, that is the only thing really recorded by the state or carfax. You may want to go to the dealer and let them know what happened. If there is a protocal for recording anything with engine hours Im sure they can steer you in the right direction.

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT