H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, after owning the H3 for a few weeks now, I've read over and over again how it's slow, how it's underpowered. I believe that people are spoiled by ever increasing horsepowered engines and ignorant about a proper tool and it's use.
Looking at the I-5's torque curve, it's an EXTREMELY appropriate engine for it's intended use. With the exception of a diesel, torque curves don't get much flatter. Considering that the I-5 idles at 1000rpm, max torque is available from idle to redline. Yeah, it could be a faster vehicle, but to what point? The dang engine never bogs down, no matter what the incline, isn't that the point? I have noticed that before I found this graph that I thought the tranny should hold the shift points a little longer, and the horsepower curve supports this. Maybe this is for better mileage? It's a fine engine, maybe I'll feel different when the V8 is offered or a small diesel. But then again, more horsepower offroad = more parts breakage. Good trade off?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, after owning the H3 for a few weeks now, I've read over and over again how it's slow, how it's underpowered. I believe that people are spoiled by ever increasing horsepowered engines and ignorant about a proper tool and it's use.
Looking at the I-5's torque curve, it's an EXTREMELY appropriate engine for it's intended use. With the exception of a diesel, torque curves don't get much flatter. Considering that the I-5 idles at 1000rpm, max torque is available from idle to redline. Yeah, it could be a faster vehicle, but to what point? The dang engine never bogs down, no matter what the incline, isn't that the point? I have noticed that before I found this graph that I thought the tranny should hold the shift points a little longer, and the horsepower curve supports this. Maybe this is for better mileage? It's a fine engine, maybe I'll feel different when the V8 is offered or a small diesel. But then again, more horsepower offroad = more parts breakage. Good trade off?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a canyon single cab with I-5, great so far I am impressed with the torque but my righ is much lighter then the H3. I think people are unaware of what the H3 is. I had the same problems selling the H2. People think is should be a racer car too.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:44 PM

Adventurer is off the scale

You make some good points. The H3 suffers mainly from a direct comparison. If you test-drive an H3 right after driving a Grand Cherokee with the Hemi, it's a real letdown. Once you own one and drive it everyday, the relative lack of power is no big deal.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 PM

mall rated is off the scale

I agree that this engine is fine for the H3. Not great, but fine. Sure it is a little slow, but most folks won't buy an H3 for it's zero to sixty or 1/4 mile times. Still some people may buy it with the intention of towing, and I think that is when it could get a little hairy. The H3 is rated at 4,500 lb towing with the slushbox. I can't imagine this engine trying to haul 9,000 lbs up a hill.

So while the engine is fine, I would put that at the top of my list for future improvements which I am sure will be addressed in the next couple of model years.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:51 PM

Kid Shyleen is off the scale

I agree with Huck, I am amazed by this little engine! I just took it on its first trip over the Sierras to the Bay Area. It quite comfortably cruised at 70-80 mph with no issues. In fact it was smooth and confident. I will admit that on the steepest of grades over the pass the engine required more incentive from the pedal to keep up the speed, but that was only on the steepest grades. I even found myself passing others on the climbs; something I thought I would never do in the H3. Unless you have to slow down before making the pass up a steep grade, the H3 just gets up and does its thing. On the way back over the pass I followed a team of cars traveling at 80-85 mph all the way back. No problem just had to manage the accelerator correctly. At these speeds and on the climbs, the H3 tacked between 2.5K - 3.5K. On smaller grades, and more or less flat roads, the tack was at about 2.2K at 75-85 mph. I was quite impressed. It took me exactly ¾ of a tank to get there and back; exactly what my Avalanche used when I would take her. Overall, I am pleased with the H3 and the power. The engine seems to get quicker and the H3 more agile and sporty as time goes by. Would I take an H3 with a V8? Of course. Would I pay $3K-$8K more for this option…no. I’d take the H3 with I5. I think in a year of so, I will add the Supercharger. But that is when they get tested, tried, and trued. Until then, I am quite happy with the delivery of the available power. You can have the Commander with its HEMI. After looking at the Commander, I wouldn’t take it if it had a Viper engine in it! It just seemed like a lot of plastic and a kluge of controls, buttons, and switches on a poorly laid out dash – not to mention the body design . And it was $44K! Roughly $8K more than my H3.

Other notes. The ride on the highway was pretty smooth. I little more bumpy than the Avalanche with the Z71 package. It handled the corners and turns as if on rails. This, in comparison to the Avalanche. It made turns at higher speeds with complete confidence, and I could hold the turn longer than in the Avalanche. As crazy as it sounds, the H3 is like a sports car for me. I liken it to a BMW feel. I did get some noticeable windscreen noise at high speeds. Still, it was at least as quiet as my Avalanche, and perhaps quieter. My only change would be to be able to adjust the seat higher than I can.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

montanah3 is off the scale

I've discovered that going thru our rural roads and towns it works just right. Coming thru towns - 25 mph, 35 mph, 45 mph, 55 mph and then 70 mph right on cue with just a steady light pressure on the gas peddle.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

The H3 is Geared for climing too not drag races.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

TA8088 is off the scale

I've had mine for about a month now and have been quite happy with the power it has. I'll have to admit at times I do kinda miss the power that my Navigator had but it also made it very easy to speed and not realize it. Not sure I would want to tow anything heavy in the mountains with the H3 but around town and on the highway I've been very happy with it so far.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:29 AM

WPBGUY is off the scale

I heard rumors that the 3.5L I5 has been redesigned for the 2007 model year. It is a 3.7L I5 With the same MPG. I wonder how noticable the increase will be.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WPBGUY:
I wonder how noticable the increase will be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most likely around 20 ponies...so it'll be only somewhat noticable. I'm more than happy with the I5 as is.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Noticeable, but not any more exciting.

On a side note, I just had an idea, I wonder if I should install the SC LS1 in my H3, instead back into the Vette next spring.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
On a side note, I just had an idea, I wonder if I should install the SC LS1 in my H3, instead back into the Vette next spring. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DO...DO NOW!

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights