H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Elcova Rookie

kennyb is on a distinguished road
Default Nav antenna mounting

I'm getting ready to install a non-touchscreen nav unit into my 05 SUT. Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of where the antenna mounts from the factory?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:38 AM
Elcova Rookie

Default Re: Nav antenna mounting

OK, weirdly enough I'm replying to my own thread. I still am looking for details of the Nav antenna mounting however, I did discover some other stuff.

The ebay auction I bought my non-touchscreen nav off of specified that it was for any truck that had the Y91 option code. Well my 05 SUT had the Y91 option code, but unfortunately when I plugged it in, all I got was a buzzing sound with very low audio behind it.

So after consulting this document

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/arc...p?t-40437.html

I found out that the radio I had was

Newest Revision LUX INR--------15204335

Which obviously won't work with the Premium amp in my H2. However according to the above link the Lux system is way better than the Premium system and the speakers are the same between the two. So basically if I get a Lux amp, my entire system will be upgraded. In theory. But I screw this **** up all the time.

So I'm going to buy a Lux amp and try this out. I'll report back and let you know if it works.

The only other issue that I see with this is that there is a brace under the dash that the white nipple in the center of the back of the radio plugs into. On the stock radio, the wiring harnesses hook into the back of the radio on each side, but on the Lux INR radio, the wiring haness that is on the passenger side of the stocker (small connector) is actually right above the nipple and so it appears that it interferes with the brace that the nipple plugs into---I'm not totally positive of this, but it looks like that is the case.

Anyway, can someone please tell me where I need to bolt the antenna to. I found a thread with a diagram and the directions from the manual are not very clear. They actually may have been written by someone who speaks english as a second language. So if any native speakers could tell me how to mount the GPS antenna, I would appreciate it as this project has not gone very smoothly until now.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:42 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Man, I wish I knew what the hell you were talking about so I could help.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Go to www.jpcustoms.com and beg Jason for a install manual. He has all the parts, connection etc to help you. I did a retrofit on my Yukon and pervious H2 with Jason's help.

Also, Klaus is the resident expert on this subject.
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacyk
Go to www.jpcustoms.com and beg Jason for a install manual. He has all the parts, connection etc to help you. I did a retrofit on my Yukon and pervious H2 with Jason's help.

Also, Klaus is the resident expert on this subject.

After doing a ton of reading on the subject and trying to figure out what the heck's going on with all this stuff, I have come, most importantly to the conclusion that a Y91 code on a midyear 04 and up H2 does not indicate the same thing as it does on most other GM trucks including earlier H2s. This should have been obvious to me, but I made the mistake of employing logic and thinking the General would assign a different option code for a different radio system.

But apparently all Y91 means is that a unit has the top of the line stereo system offered that year, which could be Premium or Lux. So don't use that as an indicator.

However, after coming this forum and the Avalanche forum for threads, I decided to get a Lux amp to go with my Lux head unit. I understand that Lux amps are programmed to optimize the sound for their particular vehicle. Now as far as I know, there are no SUTs that ever came from the factory with a Lux amp, so there is no vehicle specific programming for my truck. But I went ahead and bought an Escalade LUX amp anyway (p/n 15060881) to see if it works and how it sounds. I don't know if this has ever been tried, but I'm going to be a guineau pig.

I bought my Lux INR off ebay for $504 and the Lux amp off ebay for $133.59, so I'm not terribly invested in the project in any event. I could probably resell the parts on ebay and get the Premium stuff if this doesn't work, but I want to give it a shot.

I know I'm going to have to move some wires in the amp harness to make it work with the Lux amp. I found this page http://duramax.onlinedesk.net/navinstall/ that has a pretty good description. If anyone has any further input or suggestions, I'm all ears.