H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 05-31-2005, 09:15 PM

brewerdude is off the scale

I'm seriously thinking about getting an H3 and will go for a test drive this week. Been reading specs, and am concerned about acceleration. How well does that 5-cyl 220HP engine pull a 4700lb vehicle? I'm not so concerned about it on a trail, but getting into traffic might be an issue...
Old 05-31-2005, 09:15 PM

I'm seriously thinking about getting an H3 and will go for a test drive this week. Been reading specs, and am concerned about acceleration. How well does that 5-cyl 220HP engine pull a 4700lb vehicle? I'm not so concerned about it on a trail, but getting into traffic might be an issue...
Old 05-31-2005, 09:31 PM

Skystreak is off the scale

I test drove one today. Its not that bad but you aren't going to be qualifying for any races. Merged on to the highway with no problem.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

mudderducker is off the scale

which is why I would look for one with a stick. a K&N air filter and free flowing mufflers wont hurt either.

Land Rover Convert - H3 ADV

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/
http://www.ducks.org/
http://www.joincca.org/

Old 06-02-2005, 03:04 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

brewerdude, buyers complained about the H1's acceleration, the H2's acceleration, and now some are complaining about the H3's acceleration. Hell, I bitch about ALL car's acceleration.

There are companies working on turbos and SC's for the Colorado that will adapt a system for the H3. Of course, most H1 and H2 owners are very happy with the way their trucks perform after having them for a while.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:10 AM

Maybe I'll get one and throw a nitrous kit in it.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:21 AM

S2KtoH3 is off the scale

Although the H3 might have been better off with a 6 cylinder, I don't see what the point of having a turbo, supercharger or NOS in this car is. Lets leave the high speeds to the sports cars and sport sedans that are capable of handling high speeds. The H3 is supposed to be high performance in a different way (off-roading), not a straight line.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:02 AM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

I could never understand wanting a top heavy SUV go fast, that just makes no sense at all. I would get a Corvette if I wanted to go fast.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

mudderducker is off the scale

another thing to remember, engine size does not always relate to speed either. My Rover has a v8 and it is the slowest dog on the planet. I don't think the truck has ever gone faster than 80 mph

Land Rover Convert - H3 ADV

http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/
http://www.ducks.org/
http://www.joincca.org/

Old 06-02-2005, 05:44 AM
Hummer Expert

XM DUDE is off the scale

I want to buy one to climb the S##T out of really steep hills and I could care less about 1/4 mile times.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by XM DUDE:
I want to buy one to climb the S##T out of really steep hills and I could care less about 1/4 mile times. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same reason here... AT LEAST I will get an air filter and exhaust system while I wait for the TC to come out.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:39 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S2KtoH3:
Although the H3 might have been better off with a 6 cylinder, I don't see what the point of having a turbo, supercharger or NOS in this car is. Lets leave the high speeds to the sports cars and sport sedans that are capable of handling high speeds. The H3 is supposed to be high performance in a different way (off-roading), not a straight line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Why leave it alone if you have the desire and means to change it? That's like telling someone they can't use chrome rims because chrome isn't for off roading. I think you're offbase.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by XM DUDE:
I could never understand wanting a top heavy SUV go fast, that just makes no sense at all. I would get a Corvette if I wanted to go fast.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Some of us know better than to get a 'vette. Nothing but trouble and then I'd have to buy an H2 anyway.

Not one person with a supercharged H2 has complained about problems offroading it.

Offroading:
http://www.checkbuddy.net/H2/paragon%202005.wmv

Onroad:
http://www.lingenfelter.com/0-60.mpeg
http://www.lingenfelter.com/SMOKEDLIGHTNING.wmv

The best of both worlds. Sorry Tim, had to post them again!
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

That's a COOL video KenP! Thanks !!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:57 PM

Seriously, I was kidding about the NOS. It really doesn't have a place in an SUV. But a SC or TC couldn't hurt. What's wrong with wanting to hit the trails and get some decent acceleration? I was just concerned that 4700lbs seems like quite a lot for a 225HP engine, and would be a total dog. I guess I won't really know until I take one for a spin and find out. Can't be much worse then my Exploder. It's got that Triton V8 and it's a total dog (especially up really hig hills).
Old 06-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Brewer,

I am surprised your Exploder is such a dog. I have a Mountaineer and it pretty much gets up and moves. I really have not problem getting around most anything. I really love it when I am getting on the highway and some kid in at little rice burner with racing stickers and a 5' spoiler tries to stay ahead of me Of course I burn twice the gas playing with them as they do Anyway, I must just be lucky with mine. I won't expect it from the H3, but oh well

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

That I5 really isn't all that bad in the H3, but I prefer something a little quicker. It could use a 100HP. Than this truck would be perfect.. or at least closer to perfect for our use. See, most people that don't live in high altitude and don't do mountain driving everyday won't understand the underpowered part. To add a SC or TC would make this vehicle more practical.

Oh, yeah... THANKS A LOT KEN! More vids. I'm sending your wife those pics now.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Hummer Messiah

I think we're going to find this truck has plenty of torque for what's needed. We'll see soon enough.

Maybe Agriv8r will let me test drive one with a video camera.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:38 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2forMe is off the scale

drove it today. Very underpowered! Was very scary merging onto traffic. Couldn't pass a metro bus!
Old 06-03-2005, 02:46 AM

S2KtoH3 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Why leave it alone if you have the desire and means to change it? That's like telling someone they can't use chrome rims because chrome isn't for off roading. I think you're offbase.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand your means to mod, I plan on modding my H3 as well. However, I still don't understand what the point of adding more power to the H3 would be? It's not gonna make the car off-road any better, it still isn't going to be faster than a Toyota Camry and its just gonna cause more wear and tear. Unless some people want the extra power to do stop light drags (and your gonna need A LOT of that power to beat even the slowest of sedans out there), why do it?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:25 AM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S2KtoH3:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Why leave it alone if you have the desire and means to change it? That's like telling someone they can't use chrome rims because chrome isn't for off roading. I think you're offbase.<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand your means to mod, I plan on modding my H3 as well. However, I still don't understand what the point of adding more power to the H3 would be? It's not gonna make the car off-road any better, it still isn't going to be faster than a Toyota Camry and its just gonna cause more wear and tear. Unless some people want the extra power to do stop light drags (and your gonna need A LOT of that power to beat even the slowest of sedans out there), why do it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the point of SCing or TCing the H3 is to race it. It will make the truck more street friendly. I have no doubt their is enough torque for this truck to wheel it in 4LOW. But getting onto the freeway or driving in the MTN's will require more HP to keep up with traffic at a comfortable speed (70 - 75mph) ... esp. if you are towing some quads or snow toys.
the same goes for the H2. The SC is for my mountain driving. My SUT gets up and goes just fine, but an extra 100 hp will make it a little more enjoyable on the street. Is it necesary? No! Will I need it for off roading? NO! I have been to Moab a few times and climbed some very steep hills and have been in some nasty mud, but have not required more power. It's a matter of customizing the vehicle and upgrading to what you want.