H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my new H@. It’s black. It’s a f#cking Tiger Tank! It’s awesome!

Need a little educatin’ from anyone who cares to answer any of the following questions that the dealer couldn’t:

Q1: Dealer just told me without knowing that I could just unscrew and remove the crossbars. Wrong. Now he says you can remove them by loosening them, sliding them rearward, and moving something else and then taking them off. Is he right this time? Is it easy? Otherwise, I have to find a new place to park at work.

Q2: I ordered the high performance exhaust from GM. Did I waste my money, or is the dealer correct that it will, aside from growling, produce an additional 25 HP and improve gas mileage?

Q3: I perfectly understand why the H2 spec sheet says that activating the rear air suspension (lifting the rear by about 2”) would increase the departure angle. But how in the world could that, as the specs claim, increase the approach angle? Seems geometrically counterintuitive to me. Lifting the rear should put more downward force on the front. I wouldn’t think it would decrease the approach angle significantly, but I can’t see how it would increase it at all.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Hummer Guru

Need a little educatin’ from anyone who cares to answer any of the following questions that the dealer couldn’t:

Q1: Dealer just told me without knowing that I could just unscrew and remove the crossbars. Wrong. Now he says you can remove them by loosening them, sliding them rearward, and moving something else and then taking them off. Is he right this time? Is it easy? Otherwise, I have to find a new place to park at work.

Q2: I ordered the high performance exhaust from GM. Did I waste my money, or is the dealer correct that it will, aside from growling, produce an additional 25 HP and improve gas mileage?

Q3: I perfectly understand why the H2 spec sheet says that activating the rear air suspension (lifting the rear by about 2”) would increase the departure angle. But how in the world could that, as the specs claim, increase the approach angle? Seems geometrically counterintuitive to me. Lifting the rear should put more downward force on the front. I wouldn’t think it would decrease the approach angle significantly, but I can’t see how it would increase it at all.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Hummer Professional

rocketw19 is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know what high performance exhaust you ordered but 25hp gain no fucckin way! i lost low end when i added my corsa sport ex. better gas mileage nope to that one also. all you get is a lil better top end and a cool sound.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MarineHawk:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Q1: Yes, it takes about 3 minutes to remove the crossbows. Just loosen them, slide them back, and you have to remove a small stop at the end of the slider to fully pull them off. Simple.

Q2: IMO you wasted your money. No way you are going to get 25 more HP. Also, the minimal yearly savings in gas $$ (if exists at all ) will take like 75 years to payback the cost of the exhaust.

Q3: The impact on the front departure in negligible. "decrease the approach angle significantly"? Not a chance. Any thought of increasing or decreasing is silly. The suspension give you additional underbody clearance.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:05 PM
Hummer Guru

But I do plan on keeping it for at least 70 years.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Hummer Expert

HGW is off the scale

Welcome

So what if you got bull**** on the HP increase a little. You would need headers too to help with HP--any increase in milage, if any at all, will never pay for itself with any performance mod--they mods are for power and ego only.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Hummer Guru

I guess I may cancel the exhaust "upgrade" then. I didn't roll that one into the loan - was going to pay "cash" (i.e. Visa) for that one along with the winch bumper kit, XM, and the RH shocks. I assume that low-end power is more important than high-end on such a vehicle, at least as far as off-road performance.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

1: Do slide it back, but make sure not to break the plastic clip when you bend it up.

2: CORSA exhaust is nice (if that's what you are looking at) Don't expect a HP increase at all. You won't notice mpg increase eaither.

You will notice a better exhasut note though. ...esp in the sport vs the touring. The touring sounds good to, but the sport is louder.

3: AP angle/ DP angle. Don't worry too much about that. If you are using up all of that angle, you're going to be scraping bumpers anyhow. It does help with the rear quite a bit for AP angle though. Once engaged it shuts back off after you hit 40mph.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:20 AM
Hummer Guru

Thanks for the advice timgco. On the exhaust, I only want the sound if it's also part of a performance enhancement, so I'll probably do without. On the approach angle, I figured that the air suspension wouldn't create a significant effect either way. I was interested in the answer though, because, if the spec sheet is correct somehow, it means that the air susp works differently from how I understand it. For example and hypothetically, by lifting up on the back, could it somehow exert an upward force on the front (which I wouldn't expect)? I'm not too worried about it; I'm just really curious about how my new toy works.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:36 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MarineHawk:
I'm just really curious about how my new toy works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Put the key in the ignition, turn it fully clockwise, after the engine starts, return the key to the accy position. Drive to the nearest mud hole and depress the accelerator all the way. You should notice a significant horsepower to weight ratio. Don't let this concern you, just keep the accelerator depressed or you next lessons are:
1)How to extract a 7000 pound vehicle from the mud with hecklers watching the whole time
2)What the little blue button on the dash does when you push it

Welcome to Elcova!
Old 02-04-2006, 03:10 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Rocks:
I'm just really curious about how my new toy works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Put the key in the ignition, turn it fully clockwise, after the engine starts, return the key to the accy position. Drive to the nearest mud hole and depress the accelerator all the way. You should notice a significant horsepower to weight ratio. Don't let this concern you, just keep the accelerator depressed or you next lessons are:
1)How to extract a 7000 pound vehicle from the mud with hecklers watching the whole time

Welcome to Elcova! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I'm still a little intimidated by mud. Fear of the unknown. I understand my limits on rocks, tree trunks, sand, snow, etc., but I've never really experienced mud enough to judge when to play and when to fold. I've seen a lot of people ruin their day in deep mud. My only real experience, was when I was second in a convoy of five Marine HMMWVs coming off of sand dunes onto a five-mile wide salt flats. However, because of recent rain, it was mud. The first two vehicles kept up enough speed to keep from sinking. The other three must have let off at one point a little, or maybe because they were in our tracks or something, and sank. So deep and so far from the other side (where our camp was) that they had to be lifted out by Chinooks. BTW: This is one situation where the new Allison engine would have probably helped IMO.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:20 AM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H2 Rocks:

Welcome to Elcova! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I'm still a little intimidated by mud. Fear of the unknown. I understand my limits on rocks, tree trunks, sand, snow, etc., but I've never really experienced mud enough to judge when to play and when to fold. I've seen a lot of people ruin their day in deep mud. My only real experience, was when I was second in a convoy of five Marine HMMWVs coming off of sand dunes onto a five-mile wide salt flats. However, because of recent rain, it was mud. The first two vehicles kept up enough speed to keep from sinking. The other three must have let off at one point a little, or maybe because they were in our tracks or something, and sank. So deep and so far from the other side (where our camp was) that they had to be lifted out by Chinooks. BTW: This is one situation where the new Allison engine would have probably helped IMO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Refer to above paragraph, <span class="ev_code_RED">keep the accelerator depressed </span>. Can I have your phone #? I could have used a helicopter a couple of times.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Hummer Guru

I'll tell you that having the helos rescue our fallen comrades (figuratively) was no fun at all. My Comm Officer (they were primarily communications vehicles with big VHF and UHF radios), who was normally even tempered, blew his gasket. It wasn't like: "Oh, they got stuck, let's call the helos. Yea!" It was more like (only somewhat paraphrased): "What in the f*ck were you POS @$$holes doing leading those guys through the salt flats after a rain? I guess we don't need our air assets for anything besides fixing your stupiid f*ck ups, do we? Are you trying to get Colonel Germann to relieve me of my commmand? Why don't you just drive them into the f*cking gulf next time? Get out of my f*cking tent!"
Old 02-04-2006, 03:57 AM
Hummer Guru

Well, after that a$$ chewing, a few hecklers on the side of the road probably sounds like a vacation.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:14 AM
Hummer Guru

Yeah, it wasn't the words that stung so bad, it was the fact that it was my commanding officer saying them. It was fairly traumatic, but two days later, he gave us each a cigar and, though while not apologizing (not his style), he made it clear that he wasn't holding a grudge. The intervening two days weren't very comfortable though.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

What the hell was this thread about?

Oh, when removing that plastic thing at the end ot the rail you'll have to pull hard. Iswear you think you're going to break it, but it will come.

BTW, be careful not to break the plastic thing at the end of the rail.

I learned a new term tonight, crossbow. Never heard it used in this format. Thanks COH.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats a neophyte?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whats a neophyte? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kind of neophyte question is that?