H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Hummer Professional

Sportsdude is off the scale

Do you gals/guys get lots of negative feedbacks from people? Since I took delivery of my new 05 H2 about 2 weeks ago, I always get "why do you drive such a gas guzzler?" and "why do you need one so big?" It's very annoying now. So far my H2 gets about 15MPG in the city and in my opinion, I think it's pretty good for a 4 all-time WD. My 04 BMW 330 that I had was only getting about 19MPG so to compare, I think it's damm good on MPG for the H2. When people ask me these questions now, I just smile and be on my way.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:31 PM
Hummer Professional

Do you gals/guys get lots of negative feedbacks from people? Since I took delivery of my new 05 H2 about 2 weeks ago, I always get "why do you drive such a gas guzzler?" and "why do you need one so big?" It's very annoying now. So far my H2 gets about 15MPG in the city and in my opinion, I think it's pretty good for a 4 all-time WD. My 04 BMW 330 that I had was only getting about 19MPG so to compare, I think it's damm good on MPG for the H2. When people ask me these questions now, I just smile and be on my way.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:59 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sportsdude:
Do you gals/guys get lots of negative feedbacks from people? Since I took delivery of my new 05 H2 about 2 weeks ago, I always get "why do you drive such a gas guzzler?" and "why do you need one so big?" It's very annoying now. So far my H2 gets about 15MPG in the city and in my opinion, I think it's pretty good for a 4 all-time WD. My 04 BMW 330 that I had was only getting about 19MPG so to compare, I think it's damm good on MPG for the H2. When people ask me these questions now, I just smile and be on my way. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get the same crap. People also look at me like " how do you afford that" or " he must be spending evey last dime" . You would think its a $600,000 yacht that gets 3 miles per gallon. It does get annoying. Some of my neighbors act kind-of funny when they see me drive by. It is jealousy to some extent.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Hummer Guru

VTSTOMPER is off the scale

many people have a hard-on for taking out their abuse on Hummer owners. I get the "what - could not get a H1" to "what is your fuel econ?" even "you are the reason the earth is going to die."

I come up with something whitty that makes the person saying something in poor taste to me feel like ass!

I never asked for their imput.

On the flip side - every single little kid I drive by has a jaw on the floor! They love them, and it does not stop there. Many adults love it and come over to check it all out. "quite a machine" they say. "Yeah - its like nothing else!" I answer!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Only one negative comment...and that was to my wife...we both pulled up to Lenny's (Denny's ) around the same time, and a lady looked at my wife's suv and said..."well, I guess it's not as bad as that one over there (as she pointed to my H2)" My wife just smiled and shrugged...then walked away. We live in more rural country...farmers etc...most people love the H2 around here.

'03 H2
Old 10-14-2005, 12:30 AM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
On the flip side - every single little kid I drive by has a jaw on the floor! They love them, and it does not stop there. Many adults love it and come over to check it all out. "quite a machine" they say. "Yeah - its like nothing else!" I answer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are definitely right about kids and teenagers. They are a curious bunch and love the H2.
I wouldn't trade my H2 in for anything else.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Hummer Authority

Boss Hoss is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sportsdude:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VTSTOMPER:
On the flip side - every single little kid I drive by has a jaw on the floor! They love them, and it does not stop there. Many adults love it and come over to check it all out. "quite a machine" they say. "Yeah - its like nothing else!" I answer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are definitely right about kids and teenagers. They are a curious bunch and love the H2.
I wouldn't trade my H2 in for anything else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You ever found yourself behind an elementary/middle school bus? The whole bus shifts to the back just to get a glimpse.

I have a negative comment....how the hell are you guys getting 15mpg in the city? I dont get that on the highway. I get about 10 city and about 12-13 highway(at about 80). I dont necessarily have a heavy foot in the city and i just dont see how anyone could really get 15mpg...or even 13 for that matter when i only get 10. Some times i think gas mileage is like a mans tool...too many lie about the truth.

Even though my truck is a gas guzzler, i do love it an wouldnt trade it for anything...you would have to steal it from me. As far as im concerned any big SUV is a guzzler and hardly gets better gas mileage than my H2 if at all. I havnet had any negative comments about my truck, but i have got lots of compliments.

20in Kaotik NT-1s with 35x13.50Pro Comp Xtreme All terrain
Old 10-14-2005, 02:19 AM
Hummer Professional

mbdougl is off the scale

You can get 15mpg by resetting the average economy display on an 2003, but it doesn't take long for it to come back to 12mpg.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:04 AM

rodster is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Humm This:
How do you reset the average? I always tend to use the instant economy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With average economy displayed, press and hold the lower right button on the steering wheel. It takes a few seconds of holding the button down to make it reset.

Question back at ya . . .

How do you display instant economy?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:05 AM

Daveh2 is off the scale

I drive an H2 because I was sick and tired of getting stuck in the snow and questioning wether or not I could get throug with my previous vehicle (Deanli) all the time while travelling to our mountain home. Also It's dang cool to pull up next to a Miata and barely seeing the top of the car! In short. They jusy kick A$$.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:19 AM

rodster is off the scale

As for the negative stuff people like to dish out to Hummer owners, I've said this before in another thread ...

What limited hassles I got were right after I bought the truck with Lux package. Chrome was everywhere.

I'm not much on chrome so gradually removed it. Since then I haven't heard one negative peep out of anyone. Not one. Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know.

It also seems that the dirtier the truck is the more positive feedback I get. Had a car full of businessmen pull up next to me a stoplight last week and man, you should have seen their big eyes and smiles. They were like kids (in suits).

They were asking where I'd been, how the truck rides, etc. They were especially interested in the mud and puke. People like mud and puke on a truck, especially on a Hummer. People that know nothing about offroading know enough to know that's what the Hummer's for. And they respect when the truck is used for its intended purpose. Or at least that's my shallow theory...

So my advice is: got hassles? Go play in the mud. And take your kids. They'll take care of the puke.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:22 AM
Hummer Professional

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rodster:
As for the negative stuff people like to dish out to Hummer owners, I've said this before in another thread ...

What limited hassles I got were right after I bought the truck with Lux package. Chrome was everywhere.

I'm not much on chrome so gradually removed it. Since then I haven't heard one negative peep out of anyone. Not one. Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know.

It also seems that the dirtier the truck is the more positive feedback I get. Had a car full of businessmen pull up next to me a stoplight last week and man, you should have seen their big eyes and smiles. They were like kids (in suits).

They were asking where I'd been, how the truck rides, etc. They were especially interested in the mud and puke. People like mud and puke on a truck, especially on a Hummer. People that know nothing about offroading know enough to know that's what the Hummer's for. And they respect when the truck is used for its intended purpose. Or at least that's my shallow theory...

So my advice is: got hassles? Go play in the mud. And take your kids. They'll take care of the puke.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure you do not have a mounted rifle on the rear of your SUT so everyone can see? I bet they will have second thoughts about making any smart remarks to you.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:03 PM

Poseur is off the scale

I have to agree with Rodster about getting the truck dirty. My very anal, BMW SUV driving next door neighbor came out while I was cleaning the truck after a muddy little run and in so many words gave me his complete approval. Prior to that day he would only ever ask loaded questions about the H2.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Hummer Professional

H2_SUT_SC is off the scale

I pulled up next to a van with a bunch of kids from a private school yesterday. They were all sticking their hands out of the windows and waving and giving the thumbs up.

So far I've got nothing but compliments on it. Oh, except for a guy driving a CRX with green peace stickers all over it. He looked at my truck and started shaking his head. lol
Old 10-14-2005, 04:58 PM

rodster is off the scale

Are you sure you do not have a mounted rifle on the rear of your SUT so everyone can see? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about a roof-mounted gun turret? Even better...
Old 10-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Elcova Newbie

Central Florida Hummer is off the scale

I've had pretty good response to my hummer except one very strange incident where this guy in a toyota corolla purposely turns left directly in front of me and very slowly clears the road and flips ME the finger. I just smilled back at him as I barreled down on him at 50 miles an hour - and I never flinched! Some people have a death wish I guess.....
Old 10-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Hummer Expert

Aubs is off the scale

I've had my share of negative remarks while living in Massachusetts. Most were like "Why drive something so big?" or "EARTHKILLER!". I did have one death threat, and I have to say it was very funny. Also, I had one scary experience where a bunch of college aged guys (my age, but rowdier) approached the car late at night in a parking lot. They were shouting something, but I floored it out of there before I figured out what they wanted!

As for the 15 MPG, it is possible. First, reset the AVG ECON. Then, drive about 45-60 MPH on a highway with a light foot. This will probably get the display up to 15 MPG.

HOWEVER!, I had about 13 MPG showing on a trip the other day at 75MPH, and when I actually calculated the MPG from milage and gallons put in the tank, I ended up with about 15.2 MPG. So, the AVG ECON may not always be correct.

Yeah, as for the "some people have a death wish" comment, I agree. I've had that happen way too often. I pity da foo' who messes wit da Humma! as Mr. T might say.