H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-04-2005, 09:38 PM

hutz13 is off the scale

Forgive me if this has been covered but I did a search and found nothing.

Does anyone know how much the duty is to ship automotive accessories from the U.S. to Canada?

I'v ebeen shopping for a new H2 here and found much better prices on add-ons from online suppliers in the States ... usually the duty or import taxes end up screwing the deal.

Any Canadians care to share experiences?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:38 PM

hutz13 is off the scale

Does anyone know how much the duty is to ship automotive accessories from the U.S. to Canada?

I'v ebeen shopping for a new H2 here and found much better prices on add-ons from online suppliers in the States ... usually the duty or import taxes end up screwing the deal.

Any Canadians care to share experiences?
Old 05-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

I've bought alot of accessories, mostly from
e-Bay, and it really depends on what you buy and from whom.
From what I remember, the Duty part is nil. But you do pay the brokers to bring it into the country as well as the GST + PST.

If you buy 1 or 2 smaller accessories from 1 seller, usually you can get the seller to put on the Customs Declaration a value of $20, therefore not costing any extra at the border.

The best places to buy from will ship USPS, then the package goes through Canada Post, who only charges $5 as a handling/brokerage fee. Companies like UPS/FedEx usually charge $50 or more just to bring it into Canada!

Trust me, no whatter what you pay for Customs/Etc. it's still WAY cheaper that any local Stealership Plus I find a WAY BETTER selection of items in the US.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:04 PM

hutz13 is off the scale

Thanks a lot, that was exactly the info I was looking for, I haven't really looked for stuff at Ebay yet but I'm heading there now to find some comparisons.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Let me know what types of items your looking for, maybe I can tell you which sellers I've dealt with, and how the quality etc. was!
Old 05-06-2005, 12:40 AM

maz is off the scale

Hey Hutz13,

i have bought tons from the states and brought stuff back to Canada.

Not knowing where you exactly live in Canada the best way I found was to ship to an address at a border town on the US side. Wait until all of your items are there and then make the drive (if not to far) to colect them bring them across yourself. Then you save the brokers charges as well. If you have a GST number and import them into Canada as a business you only then pay GST and PST is not collected by Canada Customs.

I bought my H2 as well in the US and brought it back the exact same way as i have illustrated above. It was really effortless.

MAZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hutz13:

Any Canadians care to share experiences? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-06-2005, 12:42 AM

maz is off the scale

Hutz13,

I forgot to mention, if you are looking for billet exterior parts let me know what you are looking for and I might be able to help you out. I purchased four complete exterior billet packages from a business receivership and am willing to part with some of it.

Let me know if this is interest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hutz13:

Any Canadians care to share experiences? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-06-2005, 02:38 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

You might consider contacting DennisAJC. He lives in your neck of the continent, is a very nice guy and a pretty fair off-roader. (ref: Potato Salad in Moab 2005.)
Old 05-06-2005, 04:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

Black 05 is off the scale

I ship my stuff to a place at the border and then run down and pick it up. Then I bring it across and pay the GST & PST. Never had to pay duty. We have 2 race cars and buy ALOT of stuff.
We race in the US every weekend and pickup our parts at the border.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

Lately, it has become a royal PITA to ship into Canada from the US. New tariffs and Canadian laws now require a US reseller to become an business importer registered with the Canadian Customs and Duty office. I squeaked some goods in under the radar before the brokers there at the border were fully aware, but now all my shipments to Canada are halted. Too bad, some Canucks were very good customers.

Dave
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts