H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-04-2005, 03:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Like some of you, I had changed out the socket cap bolts because the OEM ones were “chewed” up during assembly. And I had to bring the truck in yesterday for them to fix a loose grab bar on the passenger side. On the way home, I realized the driver side vent cover wasn’t seated flush, and when I tapped on it, there were some play, I thought they might have forgotten to tighten the cap bolt down, no biggie as I can always do that. Still don’t know why they opened up the driver side though but they confirmed the panels were loosened.

Big surprise when I inserted the hex key & turned, it was just spinning and I could feel the bolt wiggling a bit, but I couldn’t back it out at all. Popped open the fuse access panel and I discovered the plastic cavity for the clip was rounded out. It appeared that the tech just torque the hell out of every single one as I later discovered, and they show. The driver side simply didn’t survive, there was evidence on the vent cover that the bolt was driven further in than expected as the shoulder started wearing down some of the ABS.

Fortunately, the bracket that was damaged is the same bracket that’s used to house the rear wiper/headlight switches, and it’s like around $16 retail. I told the service writer about it and he said there’s no problem for them to take care of it, but I think I’ll pass and just do this myself.

Just on the safe side, I ended up getting some flat washers and attaching those to the various openings on the surface of the panels with thin adhesive, if nothing else, hopefully they will prevent the ABS getting chewed, and since they’re stuck on the panels, it lessen the chance for the tech to miss putting them back before inserting the bolts.

May be it’s just my luck, the service writer is really nice at this dealership, very accommodating with schedules and loaners, just wished the tech side is better. I had my second oil service there 2 weeks ago, they also replaced the P/S pump. I always visually check under the hood whenever any of my cars are worked on, just to make sure no leaks, oil cap & dip stick are back on, etc. When I opened up the hood, I noticed the Airaid MIT was totally not seated well at both ends, it was very obvious even though there didn’t appear to be any leak.

At this point, I just laugh it off – with the H2, great service writer + marginal tech, with the BMW, terrible writer + excellent tech, BTW, I can’t even get my 7 in for another 3 weeks for a scheduled brake fluid change….
Old 05-04-2005, 03:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

sclui56 is off the scale

Like some of you, I had changed out the socket cap bolts because the OEM ones were “chewed” up during assembly. And I had to bring the truck in yesterday for them to fix a loose grab bar on the passenger side. On the way home, I realized the driver side vent cover wasn’t seated flush, and when I tapped on it, there were some play, I thought they might have forgotten to tighten the cap bolt down, no biggie as I can always do that. Still don’t know why they opened up the driver side though but they confirmed the panels were loosened.

Big surprise when I inserted the hex key & turned, it was just spinning and I could feel the bolt wiggling a bit, but I couldn’t back it out at all. Popped open the fuse access panel and I discovered the plastic cavity for the clip was rounded out. It appeared that the tech just torque the hell out of every single one as I later discovered, and they show. The driver side simply didn’t survive, there was evidence on the vent cover that the bolt was driven further in than expected as the shoulder started wearing down some of the ABS.

Fortunately, the bracket that was damaged is the same bracket that’s used to house the rear wiper/headlight switches, and it’s like around $16 retail. I told the service writer about it and he said there’s no problem for them to take care of it, but I think I’ll pass and just do this myself.

Just on the safe side, I ended up getting some flat washers and attaching those to the various openings on the surface of the panels with thin adhesive, if nothing else, hopefully they will prevent the ABS getting chewed, and since they’re stuck on the panels, it lessen the chance for the tech to miss putting them back before inserting the bolts.

May be it’s just my luck, the service writer is really nice at this dealership, very accommodating with schedules and loaners, just wished the tech side is better. I had my second oil service there 2 weeks ago, they also replaced the P/S pump. I always visually check under the hood whenever any of my cars are worked on, just to make sure no leaks, oil cap & dip stick are back on, etc. When I opened up the hood, I noticed the Airaid MIT was totally not seated well at both ends, it was very obvious even though there didn’t appear to be any leak.

At this point, I just laugh it off – with the H2, great service writer + marginal tech, with the BMW, terrible writer + excellent tech, BTW, I can’t even get my 7 in for another 3 weeks for a scheduled brake fluid change….