H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-01-2003, 04:00 PM

Brutus is off the scale

I would like to install fog lights on my H2. I did not get the brush guard or factory lights. Is the truck already pre-wired for fog lights? Any suggestions for the easiest way to wire up a set of lights? IS there a factory harness that I might be able to use? Thanks.

Steve
Old 06-01-2003, 04:00 PM

Brutus is off the scale

I would like to install fog lights on my H2. I did not get the brush guard or factory lights. Is the truck already pre-wired for fog lights? Any suggestions for the easiest way to wire up a set of lights? IS there a factory harness that I might be able to use? Thanks.

Steve
Old 06-01-2003, 09:27 PM

maybe some day... is off the scale

Might be worth mentioning to check with your state motor vehicle agency = don't know if this still true but, here in Nujerzee, it used to be that the law did not distinguish between fog and driving lights and they had to be wired to the low beam headlights such that they could not be used with the high beams. Stupid. I used to wire mine with a jumper that was put in place only for state inspection. The rest of the time they were independent of the headlights.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

TheGoodHummerMan is off the scale

maybe some day...

Down in these here parts we have a name for guys like you! Fog Lamp Felons...

Arrest that man!

How can you sleep at night knowing you are such a devious fellow? I also heard that the Joyzee Secret Police were monitoring this forum to catch people like you.

Ed

Could you perhaps send me a drawing of how that jumper worked? I mean just for scientific reasons...
Old 06-02-2003, 12:39 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheGoodHummerMan:
maybe some day...

Could you perhaps send me a drawing of how that jumper worked? I mean just for scientific reasons...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First in my own defense let me say that I NEVER kept any of my aux lights on when facing any oncoming traffic... unlike every damn BMW driver in this state... here's one for you - next time you see one of these idiots with his fog lights on in clear weather pull up next to him and ask him with a straight face "so, when do you think this fog is gonna lift?".

The jumper is really two separate wires: one wire goes from the headlight low beam to the relay. With that one connected you are legal. The other wire goes from any ignition controlled 12v to the relay - with that one connected you control the lights any way you want. If you want to get sophisticated a 3 position switch could handle swapping the wire connections for you.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:34 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Now, there you go again, Ed you are upset about something or somebody. I didn't know there are people out there upset about cars with 4 lights on, head lights and fog lights. I seen many cars drive around like that, I may have driven like that now and then, never dawn on me I should be upset about that, or if there anything wrong with that, seems harmless since the fog lights always pointed downward, during day time, not a problem either. I am sure there is some law somewhere that says you can't do that, only 2 lights or what. Not enough reason. Kindly educate me.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maybe some day...:
"First in my own defense..."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Case dismissed! Your title: "Fog Lamp Felon" is now rescinded.

Calling everyone with fog lamps on in non-foggy weather an idiot seems a bit harsh though, doesn't it? Maybe they're just stupid?

Ed
Old 06-02-2003, 04:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MAC:
"Now, there you go again, Ed you are upset about something or somebody. I didn't know there are people out there upset about cars with 4 lights on, head lights and fog lights. I seen many cars drive around like that, I may have driven like that now and then, never dawn on me I should be upset about that, or if there anything wrong with that, seems harmless since the fog lights always pointed downward, during day time, not a problem either. I am sure there is some law somewhere that says you can't do that, only 2 lights or what. Not enough reason. Kindly educate me."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mac, I think it is silly that a law states that someone can't have fog lamps on with high beam headlights. If it's foggy, high beams blind you and you will turn them off if you want to see better. You don't need a law to effect that.

Maybe you guys didn't see the big goofy grins following my statement about a felon and arresting people for lighting violations??? Has EVERYONE lost all sense of humor?

I will admit that I don't know what the law is regarding number of lights allowed at one time or even how to find out about the laws? Does anyone know if the laws are national/federal in nature or variable depending upon what state you are in? It is always a good idea to know what the law is, makes obeying the law much easier?

I'm sure that I am guilty of having fog lamps on during clear weather... Does this mean I am going to start drooling now?

Ed
Old 06-02-2003, 11:45 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
What is annoying is the dummies with rear fogs who drive around with them on, I suspect that many of these are left on by people who don't even know they have rear fogs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean like the drivers of certain German cars who don't have any clue that their light switch has a position for making the left side lights brighter?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:57 AM

JCJ is off the scale

What about getting an (extra) roof-light-bar and mounting them backwards. At least you'll be visible...
Old 06-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Brutus is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:

Mount the lights and run a + and ground from each, terminate the ground on to a good ground. Connect the + wires to the relay, then run the power from the relay direct from the battery, fused of course. Trigger the relay with a switch mounted in the cabin. I take the feed for the switch from SEO ACCY fuse which is not used, but is ignition switched, so when you turn the ignition off, you will also turn the aux lights off.

Behind the front BEC (the main fuse box under the hood) you will find a big rubber seal, about 4" or so across. I simply punctured this seal and ran the wire through it, then sealed it with some black marine silicone. The wire will come out underneath the dash, if you feed plenty through, it is real easy to find.

Connect the wire to the switch, then connect the feed for the switch to a igntion switched circuit such as the SEO ACY fuse.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the direction. Got most of it wired today and all I have left is the switch. A rookie question but how to you connect a wire to the SEO ACY fuse? I have the dash and kickpanels off but don't see how to plug into the fuse. Do I somehow need to get at the back of the panel? That doesn't look straightforward at all. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks Steve
Old 06-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Brutus, you can also get a wire splice that allows you to attach to an ignition switched wire. You don't have to cut or do anything to the original wire. It has a blade that cuts into the original wire and attaches your wire going to the switch.

Sometimes doing this is preferred so that you don't have a wire coming out of the front of the fuse panel. This way also takes a little more time because you have to find the right wire and is more of a "cosmetic" solution rather than a "better" solution. You can buy the splice at any auto parts store and it's called something like "inline splice connector."
Old 06-09-2003, 11:58 PM

Brutus is off the scale

Thanks for all the info. Never heard of a fuse tap but it sounds like an easy solution. I would splice into an ignition switched wire except I don't have a wiring diagram to figure out which wire to tap.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:30 PM

cinci is off the scale

PhilD,

I have the factory brush guard lights with the factory wiring and the switch in the overhead console. Is their a way, with out replacing all of the factory wiring, to change the trigger circuit, which is switched, from the always on factory mode to work only with the high beams similar to your set up?

Thanks,
David
Black H2
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 06-10-2003, 05:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

Is there a wiring diagram for the Hummer H2?

Sure would be "nice" (a luxury) to be able to just splice into a wire instead of using fuse taps. In my opinion, it sure would make for much nicer ("neater") installations...

Maybe from the shop manual or available on that multi-CD set people advertise on eBay?

Ed