H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Hummer Authority

devilsfan is an unknown quantity at this point

How old were your kids before you started taking them off-road with you (mild stuff)?

I have a Hummer Happening on Aug 14th and a 2 month old who really needs the driving experience.

Stacy
Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Hummer Authority

How old were your kids before you started taking them off-road with you (mild stuff)?

I have a Hummer Happening on Aug 14th and a 2 month old who really needs the driving experience.

Stacy
Old 07-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Petey is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by devilsfan:

Stacy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too young. I waited until a lot closer to 3 years old.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Too young. You'll have a little bobblehead if you do anything serious. I started with my daughter at 1.5 yrs old.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

We're taking our, now 2 month old, to Moab. It's a combo of takin' out and having those little things on the sides of their heads. She's 2 months and easily holds her head up now.

They'll just sleep with the rocking motion.

She has already been on very very mild stuff but if you take care care it's no different than being a little older. Actually I think is a little better because with the infant seat I can have the seat laid down more with the little pillow things on each side of her head.

When they are little older in a regular child seat and they go to sleep, their head hangs down and you worry you are going to snap it off when you do start over an obstacle.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Hummer Authority

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:

Care to share some details???

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm SURE you're on Diane Crawford's mailing list.

August 14th, 7 Canyons Ranch. Limited to the first 40 trucks. Do you have her email? I just got the invite yesterday in the mail.

I think he'd be fine on the trail ride - no obstacles and he's got good head control. I'll leave him with dad when I run the 2 main courses then.

Paragon - lucky kid.

Stacy
Old 07-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
We're taking our, now 2 month old, to Moab. It's a combo of takin' out and having those little things on the sides of their heads. She's 2 months and easily holds her head up now.

She has already been on very very mild stuff but if you take care care it's no different than being a little older. Actually I think is a little better because with the infant seat I can have the seat laid down more with the little pillow things on each side of her head.

When they are little older in a regular child seat and they go to sleep, their head hangs down and you worry you are going to snap it off when you do start over an obstacle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rocking motion is non-stop. But the downward motion may be the issue. stop/ start/ rock back and forth... that sort of thing.
Just bring extra "duck tape." or is it "duct tape?"
Old 07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:

When they are little older in a regular child seat and they go to sleep, their head hangs down and you worry you are going to snap it off when you do start over an obstacle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your making me cringe a little bit here. A two month old does not have enough neck strength to hold her head up against sudden movement. Even with pillows, you are still going to get a head jerk of you misjudge a rock ledge, etc. I've done it bunch of times. You're think you've got something cleared, no problem. Then WHAM, you get a jolting wake up call. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does... Anyway, I think the lying down/reclined position is definitely safer because most of the jolts are downward.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

2 months old now, 5 months come then. Like I said, combo. Wifey get's out with her on something that's an issue and she rides for the rest of the time. If she can't get out with her, she can be back there with her.

No worries, we are about as responsible as they come.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:29 PM

GoldenH2 is off the scale

That my friend is the stupidest thing I have read on this board all day and there has been some pretty stupid sh it to day.

No baby should be out doing that. You are selfish for insisting the child be part of this nonsense.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoldenH2:
That my friend is the stupidest thing I have read on this board all day and there has been some pretty stupid sh it to day.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey GoldenShower,
And you care because.....?

Why don't you go back and have a little chuckle with your hippie friends about how you "really showed 'em a thing or two on that H2 forum today". Well done!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drmiles:
Mine was about 1 year old..

He sits in the car seat with the 5 point harness on.

Last trip now 3years old, I let him sit in the front with the air bag off and the car seat installed.. He loves it.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I stick my 4 month old boy on top of the GOBI STEALTH RACK and strap him down using the GOBI BUCKLES!
He Loves it up there!

Old 07-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Just run the course first and see how you feel about it. You're the one that makes the call, and it will come from your Heart. If it's mellow then he'll probably enjoy it, and if it's not, you won't feel comfortable taking him. Another idea for side to side motion is to roll up a couple of his little shirts along side his head (if you don't have the fancy stuff) and adjust the carseat until it is tilted back as far as it goes.
I'd make Daddy ride back there too. But that's just me.
Have fun!
Old 07-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJ H2:
I stick my 4 month old boy on top of the GOBI STEALTH RACK and strap him down using the GOBI BUCKLES!
He Loves it up there! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate it when people try to dictate to others. Good point Alec.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:06 PM
Hummer Messiah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NJ H2:
I stick my 4 month old boy on top of the GOBI ROOF RACK and strap him down using the GOBI BUCKLES!
He Loves it up there! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Believe it or not - we saw a some young kids ride Hell's Revenge in Moab like this, on top of their Dad's H1.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

H2Singh is off the scale

Wow, this topic has peaked my interest. I, as opposed to many, would love some feedback and value your opinions, because, I have never been "wheelin" and just bought my H2 a few weeks ago and plan to go to Moab, HOWEVER, I have a one month son and a 16 month old daughter. The alternative is let my wife be with the children with her mother in Cali, while I enjoy Moab and then meet them there, but I really wanted this to be a family experience. I don't know when I'll be able to take 2 straight weeks off again.

side issue, anybody with tips on shipping H2's across the country, i.e. Miami to New Mexico and back from Cali to Miami??? I could drive it, but that seems to be where wifey is drawing a line on the extent of my fun
Old 07-30-2005, 03:25 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

We took our 1 yr old and 3 year old to a Hummer Happening last month or so. Neither of them had any problem. Of course, with the Hummer Happening, you're in more of a controlled environment. Our vehicle didn't jolt any more than what you'd get going over a speed bump... The rocking motion even put them both to sleep... and their heads hung a little, but realistically...their heads weren't heavy enough to damage anything. My kids get more injuries from playing in the yard than off-roading.

Of course, if you've got a kid with a HUGE head, then that might be an issue...

I do agree though that the parents are the ones that should decide.

'03 H2