H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 10-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

All:

I want to put the spare tire on the rear of the roof just while off-roading. Anybody have any ideas? Right now I am planning on putting a rubber pad on the roof and strapping the tire down somehow to the roof rails and the rear cross rail. Also thought about getting a couple of the new accessory roof rail handles shown in the 04 accessory catalog.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 10-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

All:

I want to put the spare tire on the rear of the roof just while off-roading. Anybody have any ideas? Right now I am planning on putting a rubber pad on the roof and strapping the tire down somehow to the roof rails and the rear cross rail. Also thought about getting a couple of the new accessory roof rail handles shown in the 04 accessory catalog.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 10-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

Just leave the tire at home.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:22 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Slide both roof rails near the rear of the rig. Strap tire dowm to them. No rubber pad on the roof please...Piece of cake.
Or, you could leave it at home.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 10-25-2003, 12:21 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

I do leave the tire at home while in town, but off-roading, I am too far from home, and no tire would not be wise.

Ken P....why no pad beneath the tire, wouldn't that damage the roof paint if any shifting/bouncing of the tire were to happen? Also, I can't move the front rail back as it is wired to the off-road lights and they need to be forward. (see pic) I am considering adding light to the second rail as well for side lighting and that rail will need to be closer to the front then as well.

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hum2: Check this thread I found in the "Classified" section http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=4616043161&m=740608071 4
Since you cannot move the front bar and you may install lights on the rear bar, simply buy a third one and mount it near the rear. Make sure rear lights are mounted toward the ends of rail. Secure tire on top of the racks with a couple of tie-downs.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 10-26-2003, 01:58 AM

jambo is off the scale

why not invest in a outside tire carrier? very heavy duty also acts as a third bumper(sma has the best one on the market). As for a roof rack for your tire check out mannix they have just what your looking for.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:25 AM

unaslob is off the scale

i would personally go with the Gobi rack... sturdier... nicer looking.. unless you are looking for chrome ofcourse. I think the 'third bumper' is bad idea...if it is ever used... your whole rear end will be screwed up...una
Corsa Sport exhaust(offroad \'tip\'), Gobi rack w/ lights & w/roof mounted tire w/ ladder, Warn Winch with rear power, Dual Wolo Airhorns w/ lanyard valve, Hadley Aircompressor 130PSI, 14\" airtank, front and rear quick disconnects for air, Cobra 75 WX
Old 10-26-2003, 07:56 PM
Hummer Expert

Hum2 is off the scale

Phil: I think una is refering to the possibility of the rear tire causing additional damage to the rear hatch/window if hit, whereas, without the rear tire, you might only have damage to the bumper. My dealer won't install them for fear of liability should the tire come thru the rear window/hatch and cause injuries to a rear seat passenger.

Jambo, As far as having a rear tire carrier, I think too much of the rear view is lost, not unlike the original factory spare tire location.

Una: Gobi racks are the greatest, and the "Stealth" version would be perfect, but a bit much for me to afford for occassional off-roading.

Back to my earlier question...is there any problem setting the tire directly on the roof, or at least a rubber pad, rather than on top of the roof rack rails? On top of the rails makes the tire stick up too high in my opinion, especially for highway travel. Have any of you see the new 04 accessories which has a roof rack handle set-up?

Ric

OMAHOG/IHOG
Hum2@cox.net
Old 10-26-2003, 10:28 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

I have SMA rear tire carrier doesn't get in the ay and now I have as much cargo room as my daughter Toyota Matrix.. But mine is cooler. I just installed the Gobi roof rack .. I am happy I did not get the one with the tire carrier, although it realy looks cool.. Have you guys ever tryed to lift that SOB big wheel and tire up onto the roof. I know I'm way to old for that kind of excercise..

Mike

Mike
Old 10-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Hmmm, I suspect anything hitting you hard enough to bend the tire carrier, would more than likely do the same, or more damage, to the rear of the truck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with Phil. The SMA carrier is mounted to the frame via the same mount locale as the rear tow pulls. After SMA sent me the little isolation boot to stop the rattle, I have no complaints. They also sent me a few pictures because I made mention of some complaints about the latch being cumbersome. Here is a pic of the rear of a rig that was rear-ended by a wrangler (post a pic of wrangler next):
Old 10-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Banned

Old 10-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Banned

Old 10-26-2003, 11:20 PM

jambo is off the scale

JUST SO YOU KNOW THE JEEP WAS GOING 40 MPH, H2 WAS SITTING STILL--HOWS THAT FOR SAFE,AND LOOK NO DAMAGE TO THE REAR WINDOW.....SMA SENT THE SAME PHOTOS TO THE DEALERSHIP.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:32 PM

H2 Daddy is off the scale

Amazing. I showed my wife these pictures and she said maybe she should be driving our kids to school in the H2. She has said twice now that she may want the H3. She does not like to drive my H2.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:57 PM
Hummer Expert

Zing is off the scale

If that was a black H2 I would ask if it's a picture of MAC's after he backed up out of his driveway?