H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-22-2002, 03:42 AM

Patrick is off the scale

I have ordered the vizualogic headrest monitors for the front seats. I looked at the headrests and was wondering how do they come off all the way? I have not started the project yet and figured someone has already done this themselves. Also, is it easy to feed the wire through the seat? Does the heating element get in the way? Any advice would be appreciated before I start it.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:42 AM

Patrick is off the scale

I have ordered the vizualogic headrest monitors for the front seats. I looked at the headrests and was wondering how do they come off all the way? I have not started the project yet and figured someone has already done this themselves. Also, is it easy to feed the wire through the seat? Does the heating element get in the way? Any advice would be appreciated before I start it.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:22 AM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

First raise the headrest up and wipe down the rods with a cloth to remove excess grease. At the base of each headrest you will notice a little tiny hole. Using a large paper clip bent straight insert an end into one hole - push it in and pull up on the headrest on that side. Repeat with the second rod. This can be done with two paperclips and two people all at once. As far as "fishing" the wire through the hole - this can be hit or miss as far as being easy. First you will need a wire coat hanger that is on the heavy side (not the real wimpy white ones). Make it straight. You will need to put a curve in it to get it to aim towards the left side bottom of the seat. Do not worry about heated seat elements they are in another location / layer of the seat. You will need to poke around towards the bottom left corner while reaching into that corner with your fingers to locate the coat hanger. Once the coat hanger is through the bottom attach the LCD monitors wire to the coat hanger with tape - overlap the wire to the hanger by 3" or so. Before you fish the hanger down through the tube put a tight bend or loop in both ends so that they are not sharp. This way you will have no unwanted holes in your seat or headliner. Have professional run the 10 guage power feed right off the battery and through the firewall next to the steering colum grommet. They he can install a relay to break the circuit that will be tied to your accesories fuse.
In the end I paid a couple hundred buck to have my VIZUALOGIC system installed and it was worth it. If you do it or an installer does it always lay out all materials and devices outside of the vehicle. Hook them up and test run them. That way if it goes in and does not work you will know the problem is with the installation. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Hummer Man gives good clear instructions. Valuable to the Forum.

Thanks.

Jim
Red H2 in Texas
Old 12-23-2002, 12:20 AM

Patrick is off the scale

Thank you for the detailed instructions. That will help a lot when the headrests actually show up. I'm going to try to mount the DVD player in that space below the rear audio controls. I haven't looked in there yet to see how much room. In the past I have installed several alarm systems with remote starters. Now I just don't have that much spare time and the vehicles are more complex. I'm having abt electronics install an alarm/remote starter this week in the truck. They work a lot on the H2's doing work for several local hummer dealers in chicago. They had two taken apart the one time I stopped in there. They clain they work on about 10 a week. Thanks again for the response. I've had the H2 for two days now, 330 miles, and I totally love it. It is much better and nicer than I ever expected. I am a very proud owner and will post pics soon. It's the smallest vehicle I own now. My other truck is an excursion!
Old 12-23-2002, 05:07 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Someone else here said he put in a Xbox instead of a DVD player, I thought that was a great idea.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:48 AM
Hummer Expert

Hummer Man is off the scale

To install the DVD player in that space will require moving the secondary head unit controls and relocating 2" froward. Although I have seen a few there I choose not to put it there because there seems to be alot of heat build up in that "hole". If you want to see what you have to move. Open the console and remove screws holding in the "liner", pull liner out and you will see this cast metal device mounted to the floor with fins on it. These fins are emant to dispurse heat. Your VIZUALOGIC DVD would be sitting adjacent to the fins - NOT A GOOD MIX. I mounted both a PS II sytem and the DVD under the 2/3 rear seat. I kept the sytem totally separate from the Factory System. I went with four pairs of wireless phones. In the next month. TMI /VIZUALOGIC is introducing a factory matched VISOR with 7" LCD that will blug right into the system you are installing. See it at this link.

http://www.vizualogic.com/sunvisors/...hummer-h2.html

If you have both a game machine with inverter and a DVD player make sure your ground them apart. You may also wish to use a noise filter/ block.

Regards, Hummer Man
Old 12-23-2002, 01:37 PM

Patrick is off the scale

do the seats press up against items under the seat when you fold them flat? I haven't really checked the clearance. I just thought there would be better access to the dvd player if it was mounted in the center stack. Perhaps a small (and quiet) electric fan from radio shack could help witht the heat build-up? Thanks for all the input!
Old 12-24-2002, 02:16 PM
Hummer Professional

TBarrow is off the scale

Start with a cigar box etc. and do some test fits I found that it touched the seat more than I wanted. When you fold the seats and use the cargo room if you climb in on the seat backs(folded down)for loading or unloading you could cut the seats. I speak from experience with my Yukon XL
(previous life). I mounted mine behind the rear tire as to protect it. After all you change it every two hours or three( harry potter, lord of the rings....) and that time desernes a break anyway..

Black H2 Adventure+goodies
Black H2 Adventure Series + Luxury, AirForce One intake, Throttle Body Bypass, Gobi Rack w/2\" Brackets & 4 PIAA 580 Lights, Xenarc HID, Alcoa Wheels, Goodyear 37x12.50x17 MT/R, Warn 9.5Ti Thermometric Winch, DiabloSport programmer,160 Degree T-Stat, B&B Headers and full dual exhaust by B&B as well, ARB fridge/freezer, Full Audio upgrade.
Old 12-25-2002, 06:01 AM

Patrick is off the scale

I just finished the install. Thanks hummerman for the valuable information. It saved me time. I wound up intalling the dvd player in the dash and moved the onstar into the glove box for now. It took some time but it looks professional. The system works really well. It was the kit - two headrest monitors, two wireless headphones, fm modulator, and dvd player from vizualogic. I know it's not the best system out there but my kids will never know the difference. They love it. There wasn't enough room to mount it under the back seat audio controls and my kids are to young to work by themselves under the middle seat. Thanks again for the info.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:42 AM

H2CominThru is off the scale

hey patrick how hard was it to move the onstar into the glovebox?