H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 06-13-2003, 10:38 PM

Otto is off the scale

If money was not an issue, would you rather own a H2 or a Porsche Cayenne?
Old 08-10-2003, 06:01 PM

DiscoDancingRover is off the scale

We will be getting a 05 XJVP, I love that car, its so beautiful. My dad is in the same boat, he does not want to buy my mom an Audi (it is his 30 year anniversary (sp?) gift to her) because of what he has heard, I believe that audi is much better then it used to be in the past, from what i have heard from people.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
Old 06-14-2003, 12:10 AM
Circuitguy

Two totaly different machines. No comparrison. You my be able to compare the Porsche to a Land Rover but never an H2. As to price being no issue,I would still take the H2. But thats me. My buddy just purchased a new Land Rover and while doing so he looked at the Porsche at the same dealership. He said the Porsche could not even compare to to what the Land Rover or the H2 can offer. I can't speak for everybody but Its all about what I want in a car or truck not the purchase price. Anyway you only make payments on it until you trade it in! My two cents...C

First American Properties Inc. 916-858-2383
White 03-H2-LUX
Old 07-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Chris, Chris, Chris....

WRONG!. The H1 has hardly any articulation, much to do with it having gear-driven hubs and the way it was set up. The H2 however has HUGE articulation and suspension travel. NOT even close to being the same animal!

You guys get so wound-up toting SFA that you become consumed in assumptions. Yes, the front-end of the H2 is independent suspension: but open your eyes and look how far up and down that suspension travels! From level, it can travel about 8" up and nearly 10" down....that's a span of 18". You can get a bit more travel out of an SFA, but certainly that would come from fairly extreme modification. The Cayenne probably has about 8" of total suspension travel...not even half the H2's.

As for slapping your salesman...that was both a joke and figure of speech: I did not mean to suggest you actually slap him.

No surprise the RR and cayenne beat the H2. The H2 will continue to fall-short anytime they do a general comparison for "best SUV". That's because a GREAT SUV has to be all things. The H2 BOMBS again and again and again:

1) It's a bitch to get up and into, most people hate that and flunk the H2 on the spot.

2) it has a seemingly wide front-end so until you get used to it you feel it's overly wide and a bitch to park.

3) Lack of cargo area. Being that the departure angles are a bit extreme and they could only go so far with the wheelbase...the vehicle is short and we lack big cargo space as expected from the size of the vehicle.

4) The gas mileage is low.

So there ya go....the H2 "sucks" as a general SUV. Now...if you wanna talk about an SUV that actually delivers in offroad performance....the H2 slams on the competition. The H2 is an extreme vehicle in that regard....it's NOT the ticket for the average person and will continue to fall short in comparisons.

Why is it soooooo hard for people to understand this?
Old 06-16-2003, 02:51 PM

SJ is off the scale

I'm so biased regarding American vs. German vehicles and not the biggest Porsche fan (to put it politely) - that I scratched my original response.

On a positive note, Porsche ditched the lawn moweresque I-6 and dropped in a V8. Every time a Porsche passes by I'm reminded that I could use a leaf blower around the house.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 06-16-2003, 03:06 PM

SJ is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DCfromCapeCod:
911 still has a 6......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, I was referring to the Cayenne exclusively - both the 'S' and the 'turbo' have the 4.5L V8. I'm also giving Otto a little jibe for wanting to compare the two.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 07-04-2003, 05:42 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Chris....I'd slap the salesman for insulting the Disco!!!

Let's keep it sweet & short. Define SUV! If by SUV you mean something that is slightly higher off the ground and incorporates it's trunk into the passenger compartment and has 4-wheel drive...yeah, the Cayenne is one heck of an SUV.

However.....if you include the concept of offroad capability into an SUV...then we've got some serious issues with the Cayenne. HELLO...it's got hardly anything in the way of articulation, clearance and tires. Most of us have seen the Arrowhead video I put together...I guarantee that thing wouldn't make it up the first hill or through any of the "Most Difficult" rated trails we roll right through. Look at it....it's not going to happen! And btw...I'm seeing them all over the place. The theme around here is: Now the wifey can have a Porsche too!

I will repeat what I stated earlier: if the identical cayenne vehicle were made by Subaru and sold for $27K....they would hardly sell!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 05:10 PM

Steve I do kinda fancy the miata and the VW beetle...joking

1995 Land Rover Discovery, with light envy
2003 Acura 3.2TL
1998 Volvo V70 XC

[This message was edited by Chris on 07-04-03 at 12:42 PM.]
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2003, 11:17 PM

Otto is off the scale

It is interesting to note that many 'offroad capabilities ONLY' guys do not mention that they use this nation's highways to get them to the sites where they can 'offroad'. In fact, the majority of them use their same 'offroad' machines to take them to and from work everyday.
yet they will boast relentlessly about their 2 day a week exploits and say nothing about their 5 day a week utilitarian activities in the very same vehicle.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Hummer Expert

RasterMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

SteveR,

Chris knows I like to rib him about the Rovers! Besides being a fellow Hoosier, he has become the new Chat moderator!

Check out the OkC Chapter Page!
Old 08-11-2003, 01:09 AM

DCfromCapeCod is off the scale

Given the current tax laws, the $100K Cayenne Turbo will cost me about $57K. Next year that might not be true.

I'm not knocking the Hummer, I still have a pending order for one. I am merely testing the waters.....buying the Cayenne will let me keep over $20K that I otherwise would be sending to the IRS.

Great thing about this country...you can buy whatever makes you grin.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Hummer Expert

RasterMaster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Chris!

Rovers even look WEAK!

Check out the OkC Chapter Page!
Old 07-07-2003, 02:49 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Uh....back to the articulation thing: Articulate this Christoph!

front left wheel up about 20", front right on the ground...the rear is doing the opposite. It's no rock-crawler, but it's no rigid-board either!
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Now don't read into this too far....but I'm surprised to hear that MAC isn't thrilled with the Cayenne. I would have thought it a better suited vehicle for his needs, purposes and uses?
Old 07-04-2003, 02:51 PM

Here is some comparison when I got bored at school in the winter. This is me with a stock suspention. It doesn't show my full articulation. The top of the tire was about 12 inches from the fender. and still had more room to go.

1995 Land Rover Discovery, with light envy
2003 Acura 3.2TL
1998 Volvo V70 XC
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2003, 02:14 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

I hear ya Alec....but let's not bang our drum too loud: I think I hear the lone-dissenter coming!!!

Say Alec...I hear the LR boys call you the conquerer of the Holy Cross....care to elaborate on that?
Old 06-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Peyton77 is off the scale

http://www.cayenneforum.com/

Peyton

WWW.LANDMARKBANKONLINE.COM
WWW.GIANTBANK.COM

Old 06-15-2003, 01:53 PM
H2 Club Houston Chapter Founder

BADRAP is off the scale

I would have still chosen the Hummer, but I had a 914, and a 944 and I was welcomed into the groups here in town no problems, I understand that some Porsche owners are snobs, but not all..

BADRAP
03 H2, Lux, Pewter, more upgrades soon..
Houston Texas H2 Hummer Chapter..
badrap@sbcglobal.net
Old 08-10-2003, 05:36 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Diane, sounds like a good choice.
Next year, we will sell the perfect Jaguar XJVP sedan and Cayenne is on my very short list of replacement: Porsche Cayenne, MB S500 or new BMW7. Can't think of anything else now. What were on your list of replacement consideration?
Old 08-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

My Audi was a total POS, every inch of it, 3 repairs a week, different things; and it has "VW" logo on parts everywhere. Many friends who owned Audis had same experience, never admitted it until they sold the cars; in reports I read, Audi themselves admitted that. Beautiful cars with excellent handling, it tried and tries but it will never be on the same level as MB, BMW or Porsche. I heard people say Audi owners are people who can't afford a MB/BMW/Porsche, may not be true, but why even bother with Audi if you can buy a MB/BMW/Porsche? I promised myself I'll never ever buy an Audi again, period.

Stay away from 95 Jag XJ, not that it has problem, but 96 2nd yr model had major changes, 75% thicker and quieter glass, 4.5" extra rear leg room, 2" extra rear head room (done due to John Major's complaint), and many other major structure changes. Ours is absolutely elegant, perfect and reliable, but simply got tired of driving it after many years.

I do see many Cayennes everywhere, no matter, a Porsche is a Porsche and it will always be a Porsche. But you don't give $4K off MSRP few months out of gate and without people asking for it, you only do it because you have to and you are worried.