H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-20-2004, 04:49 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

On round trip LA - Las Vegas, in some inclines, my H2 will NOT go faster than 80mph with my foot literally pedal to the metal. RPM showed exactly 3500. Tried pumping the accelerator, tow button, dropping from D to 3 -- all to no avail. 3 Adults, 2 kids, small luggage, zero cargo... Not towing anything... Full tank of gas.... Anyone experienced this before? (Btw, minivan, pos sedan, etc. were passing me on the left... )

In addition to the damn roaring fan clutch (occurs 80% of the time, at temp 76 degrees and above) -- which still occurs with what is now the 2nd warranty-replaced new fan clutch in 2 months -- I think my H2 is a lemon!!
Hummer Authority

On round trip LA - Las Vegas, in some inclines, my H2 will NOT go faster than 80mph with my foot literally pedal to the metal. RPM showed exactly 3500. Tried pumping the accelerator, tow button, dropping from D to 3 -- all to no avail. 3 Adults, 2 kids, small luggage, zero cargo... Not towing anything... Full tank of gas.... Anyone experienced this before? (Btw, minivan, pos sedan, etc. were passing me on the left... )

In addition to the damn roaring fan clutch (occurs 80% of the time, at temp 76 degrees and above) -- which still occurs with what is now the 2nd warranty-replaced new fan clutch in 2 months -- I think my H2 is a lemon!!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:41 PM

Detonate is off the scale

With my roof rack, heavy bumpers + winch, 37" tires, and enough lead, scuba tanks, and equipment to support 5 divers, and camping gear for 3 days, as well as beer and ice, plus passengers, I was still able to get my speedometer to read over 100 MPH, and this is with 37's and my speedometer is not recalibrated, so actual MPH were greater.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:56 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Dan, glad you said that. I was thinking about something one might pick up at 7-11 .

Seriously, it sounds as if you were in third.
The truck is not happy. What percent is the grade of the hill. It sounds as if it is long and constant. The truck would downshift and never upshift.

Of course, it could be a "module". I think they all break.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:30 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

If it gets the Dmax and no front end changes, will you still buy it?
Old 05-21-2004, 02:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Klaus, my 04 has the "updated" programming done by dealer. At cool weather (when the fan clutch did not come in play), the improvement from stock is quite remarkable. Imo, if everyone bothered to update their programming, programmers will be out of business soon.

But the ROAR prob occurs quite a while before that.

AlecW, I hit 100mph too at the straight level stretch. It's the incline thats problematic.

TexasRed, most prob it was already at 3rd due to grade, since when I downshift manually, it made no diff. The prob is as I said, a minivan and sedan passed me easily. Perhaps I should just drive slower . Or perhaps I really should just get my sc now .
Old 05-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

H2Finally, it would be my pleasure! It would probably be the trick in letting you get one.
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:26 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Something doesn't sound good here. Unless you were going straight up the mountain, you should not have had an issue with breaking 80 mph. In CO i get up to the mountains and have no problem breaking 100 with a full bus and gear. The only mod I have done is a hypertech programmer.

Bad gas?
Bad fuel filter?
How's your air filter?

I'm reaching here. I guess it's back to the dealer. good luck.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bevo is off the scale

Dawg,
Change your sig line to indicate that you are no longer an owner!
Yellow 03 Adventure w/black Grill, UM8 Touch Screen Navigation Radio, U2K XM Digital Radio, Remote 6-CD Changer, JBA Titanium Headers, Corsa Off-Road Sport, Airaid Filter & MIT, Nology Wires & Plugs, S&P Pro-Flash, Warn 9.5ti w/X-Line, Toyo Open Country M/T 37x13.5.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:14 PM
Hummer Professional

I have driven the same route many times and it is a steep, long grade. My H2 would constantly hunt back and forth for gears and it drove me nuts too. That was the main reason I supercharged mine! Now you can fly up the same grades and not worry about having anyone pass you if you are so inclined I have done 100+ on the Baker grade.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

Something does not sound right. At 80 MPH you should not be anywhere near 3500 RPM if in overdrive. How steep of a grade were you climbing? Prior to super charging my H2 a lot of vehicle were passing me up the hills in Lake Tahoe area. If you use the tow button the H2 won't shift so much.

With the supercharger installed, nobody can pass me now.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Have you checked the air filter lately? Sounds like a plugged one!
Old 05-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Hummer Professional

Ahhhhhh....NOW I understand. Tell her that you will get better mpg's (if you can keep your foot out of it)! She needs to know that it will be well worth it.. it's much easier to get out of the way of other fast moving vehicles, which is especially important if you have childred with you...she can get home from the mall faster so that you won't know where she has been...you won't have to spend as much time couped up in the H2 with the screaming kids because you can go much faster....
Old 05-20-2004, 07:36 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bad Dawg:
...Yes we sold it, but I am still very interested in the fixes, either by GM or others because I may be very interested in getting the new and improved 2006+ version. You know, the one with the Duramax .....

Yellow LUX, Airforce intake, stainless headers and exhaust, Superchips Programmer, Gobi rack and ladder, roof mounted off road lights, full wrap brush guard, rear light guards, outside tire carrier, Rancho 4" suspension lift, Ultra "EN4CER" 17x9 wheels, Goodyear 37/12.50R17 MT/R tires, removed side-step bars, 9.5ti warn multi-mount winch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you sold it, how about removing your signature or at least be stand-up and change it to read that you no longer own an H2?
Old 05-21-2004, 04:06 AM
Hummer Authority

The question is was the 85mph by choice or by limit? I thought the truck should've DOWN shifted when I told it I want more power. 3500 RPM seemed low -- the truck should be able to hit 5000rpm for a short burst of power when my foot reached the bottom of the pedal??

I'll know tomorrow what the verdict is. I would welcome air filter or xyz module problem rather than be told, "oh that's normal performance & noise for the H2"!!
Old 05-20-2004, 09:32 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bad Dawg:
How's this? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about this?:
It sucks to be down here with the sheep
Hummer Authority

Old 05-20-2004, 10:24 AM

Bad Dawg is off the scale

It's obviously your fault. You were driving too fast and bouncing too much You don't happen to have a lift and more aggressive tires do you?
Old 05-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Too much weight in the passenger seat.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:16 PM

austoak is off the scale

Was Jeep chick in the truck with you?