H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Hummer Deity

Fubar is an unknown quantity at this point

Magna Charger Question:

Ok I’m about to take the plunge tomorrow morning I’m having the Magna Charger installed.
Also having dual electric fans installed to replace the howling beast currently there and a tire carrier.

My question or questions for those who have had the Magna Charger installed.
Any regrets?
Would you do it again if you could?
Have you had any problems and how were they dealt with?
Did your local H2 dealer do the install?

Have you received the performance gains advertised? (63% - 125%) increase in horse power? What about the added torque? Is it what you expected?

I’m just a little nervous I guess. It is comforting that the dealer is going to stand behind the install and take care of any issue, or so I’m being told.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 PM
Hummer Deity

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nikramos:
Say goodbye to regular gas. You will damage your engine with it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that sucks Good thing the H2 is not my daily driver with gas over $2.00 per gal again. I'll ask the tecks at the dealership about the gas thing but I suspect you are proably correct.

Thanks,
Old 02-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Hummer Guru

Spike is an unknown quantity at this point

originally posted by KenP,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>First of all, don't get the fans if you plan on wheeling in deep water unless you have an auxillary cut off. I shredded both of mine at Paragon and that was not fun. It's now back to stock.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
And what a friggin nightmare that was! Thank God we had a Lingenfelter Feild Tech on hand!!
Old 02-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Hummer Novice

nikramos is off the scale

Say goodbye to regular gas. You will damage your engine with it.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:29 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem, TAZ. Mag has a long reputation and even though I, and LPE, had issues with them does not mean their product is not good.

Besides, who else would you go with? That is the very frustrating question for me. I think there is room in the SC market for another "roots" manufacturer.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:56 PM

CHarris is off the scale

I only paid $4,587.00 shipped to my door from Speed Engineering.
2002 Firehawk #966 (Traded in)
Old 02-11-2005, 04:46 PM

CHarris is off the scale

Come on, man. They have search engines to give you the website or go to LS1tech and click on their advertisement I'll point you to the horsepower but won't do it all for you!
Old 02-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Thanks Ken
I did do several searches and could not get anything to come up. Cory I do not ask until I have tried to find it Myself. I'm not a novice look at the number of post I have. I know how people get flamed for asking question that they did not take time to search for. I had been on ls1tech and somehow over looked there add. I ask only when I have done what i can do to answer my own questions. Ken will tell You I have helped as many people on here as have helped Me. Novices should get ragged if they are being lazy but I do not operate that way. KenP and Dennis trained Me when I first got on here as what to do or not to do. I would not have asked if I felt I had not done what I could to help Myself.
Sorry if this sounds angry as I'm not. I'm just having some bad health problems that a couple of Buds on this site are aware of and just do not feel like being looked at as a novice when they will tell You I try to give to the forum more than I get.
You look at the URL they have and I could have made 100 guess and never come up with Hyphens and word abreviations as well as when I just tried to search thier name I could not get anything to come up. Story is I just could not get it done on my own so then I come to forum and since You knew I asked You in good faith to help. I hope You were joking with Me as You had smiles on Your reply. I have watched Your posts and You have alot of potential but I would like to suggest in all seriousness that You check out who You are responding to as far as Novice's or trolls and especially veterans etc. Even on this forum the novice's get way more respect than the trolls. Even the Guru's like Ken ask for help once in a while but they use the protocal that they taught Me and which is what I did with You in asking for Your help.
I hope We have made Buds now as I do not mean to sound angry as I'm not, just at this point with this illness my tolerance is shorter than normal as I enjoy giving it back to my buds the same they give to me. I hope You will fall into the troll hunter patrol as I think You could be good at it. We have 3 to 5 on here who We turn the trolls over to when We spot them if they haven't spotted them already and they reduce them to a small little glob of goo on the ground. I think You could become one of those troll smashers, based on the post of Yours I have read. You seem to have the wit. Normally I do but I'm operating with a physical handicap with illness that is affecting the normal sharpness of My brain. I hope We can be of help to each other for along time to come.

I'm headed of to a grand opening of a Performance shop that We are negotiating it also becoming a Hummer ACC. and install store
as there is no such thing where I'm at except what can be bought from dealer. I'm working with a distributor to be intially the only supplier and I will be a silent partner in the Hummer area but I will bankroll the inventory and take My cut of profit. I believe it will give better return on My money than CD's are.
Which should be easy with what CD's pay.
Have a great weekend. It looks like it is going to rain all weekend here. Please fill free to PM Me if You like. I do appreciate You bringing to My attenton to Speed Engineering. I'm actually reseaching Magna Charger or may go dual turbo set up.
Talk to You later.

TAZ (Rick)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CHarris:
Come on, man. They have search engines to give you the website or go to LS1tech and click on their advertisement I'll point you to the horsepower but won't do it all for you! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 02-07-2005, 10:53 PM
Hummer Novice

nikramos is off the scale

Ken,

It must be the bearing then that I have been hearing lately. It sounded like my engine was having the knock and ping. I knew it was coming from the pulleys. I am taking it back to the dealer since they installed it.
Re: questions from Fubar
I also test drove a non s/c H2 and it also had the intake and exhaust upgrades and I felt the huge amount of power difference immediately.
Just be prepared to pay for the premium fuel required. Unfortunately my magna H2 get only 7.5 mpg here in the Bay Area and I do not have a lead foot.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Hummer Messiah

http://www.speed-eng.com/store/
Old 02-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Hummer Messiah

Taz, Cory is right about the info at ls1tech. Check it out. I would not worry about the bearing issue. We are talking about a small number when compared to all the units sold. I was not upset about the bearings anyway, just Mag's lack of assistance and not standing by their product in this case. On the otherhand, other's have been taken care of. For instance, LPE had a 'vette with a bearing problem just weeks before I did and Mag took care of that one.

As for the fans, mine have been gone since Paragon. They were twin Flex-a-Lite fans. I think they were 15". That's what BKLYN and I were hooking up in this pic. The problem was the blades, not the motor. The blades just sheared off against the resistance of the water. I dare say you could just turn them right back on.

The fan on the left here was missing one blade and later shed most of the rest. I made it 6 hours home with 1 1/2 fans and no overheating.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2005, 04:27 AM
Hummer Deity

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CHarris:
I've got one that I installed myself. I only paid $4,587.00 for the supercharger. My local dealer wanted $10k installed. The most likely item to break is the transmission and a very good friend of mine is a transmission rebuilder that has severl 4l65E's running 10,s and even 9's on drag cars. I can get it rebuilt for parts only I'd rather insure myself than pay $5k for what might happen.

I've put 250 miles on it since installation. Very happy overall, no problems after installation was completed. I'm getting about 11 mpg average with mixed town and highway. I was getting 12 mpg average before the install. The deal with the lost mpg is that I am in the boost a lot because I live in a very hilly area. I've always bought premium anyway so no big change there. It's only about 15 cents a gallon difference between 87 and 92 here. That's only $4.50 a tank - no big deal.
I'll be doing electric fans for sure on mine. That's good for 15-20 rwhp on most trucks. Gotta be good for the H2 as well.

Do it, you'll like it.

Cory <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CHarris:
Thank you for your input and for putting me at ease. It sounds like if I was getting a certain mpg before the install chances are pretty good it will be around the same after assuming I can keep my foot out of it.

You are absolutely right about the difference in gas. I hadn't really thought about it but if $4.50 is all the difference per tank full,there is no decision just use the high octaine and be safe. So it's 64.50 instead of 60.00 assuming you get 30 gallons in at or around $2.00 per gallon..

I'm not a lead foot or into racig so I'm not really worried about the trans breaking. I will ask the tech tomorrow about his thoughts on the subject.

I wouldn't pay $10k for just a SC either. I think they are charging me $6,200 for the magna installed and $1,200 for the fans and another $900 for the tire carrier. Those last two imtems may be swithched I don't remember exactly. Then of course there is the tax. Uncle Sam has to be part of the party, damm party crasher.

Sleep time; a little less than 9 hours and it's off to the shop for the upgrades.

Thanks guys for your input.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Hummer Messiah

Just remember, I had much more done than just the sc and such. I get 11.3 mpg.

Make sure you turn the fans back on after you get out.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Not to steal this thread, but I noticed that the Whipple Supercharger with intercooler is available. I too am trying to decide which way to go had my mine made up on the Magna, when I read the old post. Seems there was a following for the Whipple, but was squashed due to no intercooler. Now that one is available does anyone have any real world data on which mibht give the best pulling power, I guess low end torque is what I need ! I hate to ask but what is the majority opinion as to which would be better for towing? Not gas mileage, Not 0 - 60 TOWING?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Hey Cory, I used to drive 95 Firehawk #49 of 250.
Regret ever selling that car.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:17 AM
Hummer Messiah

I have a lead foot too. It's not that I speed, I just get to the limit really fast. nik, I hope mag sends the stuff quickly and the dealership takes care of you.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Hummer Deity

Jerry,
I don't have any info regarding which would be better for towing. From what I've seen on-line they both claim to produce the same amount of power. I was set on going with Wipple but I had a couple of negative conversations with them on the phone regarding warranty work if it were to come up, and there idea of an intercooler is spraying liquid gas before it gets atomized threw the supercharger. This is a corrosive issue and may explain why they will only warranty the unit for 12 months. Another secondary issue is that they piggyback a computer control unit to your factory one. According to the techs I have spoken to at GM, Ford, & Chevy this can cause problems and is one of the biggest reasons the major manufactures do not choose to deal with Wipple. The biggest reason for me and why I went with the Magna is that there isn't anyone in this god forsaken town (las vegas) that is capable of installing the Wipple unit. I would have had to driven to either Sparks NV, Phoenix, or Whitter Ca just outside La in order to have the product installed. (and yes I called Wipple to ask where the nearest authorized place to me might be). So after speaking with the local H2 dealer and getting it in writing that they will repair under warranty for (4yrs) ANYTHING that might go wrong with the Magna Charger be it equipment failure or some other type of failure due to the installation or caused by the installation of this product. I decided to go with the Magna Charger, it is being installed now I should have it back by Friday. I am planning on taking it to a dyno shop to find out what the numbers are and I will share the info when I get it.

If you have someone you trust in your town who can install the unit and will stand behind that installation then by all means go with the Wipple. A lot of people I spoke with unfortunately from other parts of the country are very, very happy with there Wipple’s. I am not putting down the product. Just trying to justify my decision in my own mind and sharing some of what I just went through.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

Okay, I'm convienced to Super Charge.

Where is the best place to purchase a Magna SC?

Is the breathless product the new Radix gen5 or is it gen 4? and what the heck is the difference?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Hummer Professional

Fastest H-Town Realtor is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenP:
Just remember, I had much more done than just the sc and such. I get 11.3 mpg.

Make sure you turn the fans back on after you get out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More HP and 11.3mpg? Ill take that deal all day long...the increase of MPG from 10.8 is just gravy...

Have-08 Titan C/C,06 GCSRT-425FTLB & AWD, other junk..
Want-08 Viper, 06 M5
Old 02-08-2005, 02:11 AM

CHarris is off the scale

I've got one that I installed myself. I only paid $4,587.00 for the supercharger. My local dealer wanted $10k installed. The most likely item to break is the transmission and a very good friend of mine is a transmission rebuilder that has severl 4l65E's running 10,s and even 9's on drag cars. I can get it rebuilt for parts only I'd rather insure myself than pay $5k for what might happen.

I've put 250 miles on it since installation. Very happy overall, no problems after installation was completed. I'm getting about 11 mpg average with mixed town and highway. I was getting 12 mpg average before the install. The deal with the lost mpg is that I am in the boost a lot because I live in a very hilly area. I've always bought premium anyway so no big change there. It's only about 15 cents a gallon difference between 87 and 92 here. That's only $4.50 a tank - no big deal.
I'll be doing electric fans for sure on mine. That's good for 15-20 rwhp on most trucks. Gotta be good for the H2 as well.

Do it, you'll like it.

Cory