H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

dna is off the scale
Default Help - my 2003 H2 will not start

OK, I think I have a bad ignition switch but the symptoms I have are weird.

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that the H2 would hesitate for a second or two to start when you first turned the key to start position. Sometimes I even had to put key back to off position and then turen back to start position and wait a second - but it always fired up until today.

Today, when I put the key into start position, it again hesitated and then fired up the engine but instantly lost electrical on my display (like all electrical died) and the engine stalled. From that point forward, when I put key into 'start' position all the digital display including radio, etc would flicker on/off and I would get buzzing (almost like air noises) in the instrument column. I removed the key and tried again about 10 times all with the same situation. Each time if I then turned the key to the final 'start' position, everything went dead (no clicking or anything and all electrical totally dead). I tried it 5 minutes later, which made no difference. I tried it about 20 times within a minute, and it fired up. I drove it home asap.

When getting home and turning it off, I immediately tried to fire it up again, and again nothing. Though this time it was a little different. When I put the key into the ignition mode, the display would not flicker anymore, though the warning buzzer would start within a few seconds and stay on - also the Onstar light turned red and static would be coming from the Onstar speaker, and the DIC information was all blanked out (ie. my range, average mpg, oil like %, etc, etc - all blanked out). After trying again 1 hour later, same **** except the DIC information was back.

Does it sound like a bad ignition switch. I've heard they are common problems with these? It almost does to me, excedpt for all the other weird stuff I am getting. It almost sounds like a bad board in a module or something?

Any advice would be appreciated. I've read that chnaging the switch is easy, so I likely will try it this weekend if you guys think that is the problem. Otherwise I will have to have it towed and pay big bucks at the one and only local Hummer dealer in town.

Thanks