H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

run 38-40 psi for highway driving no problems to date get 20 mpg with the auto and 4k+ trouble free miles to date . ran at 20 psi for the dunes in pismo aired up to 40 and was surprised it took about ten miles of driving to have tpm light go off . not as good as system on my c5 but nice to have . the system just takes a while to update . Also was surprised tpm's werent installed until after purchase on my vehicle
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 11-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bender:
i drove it about 2 miles to the gas station as soon as i woke up this AM...so it sat about 12 hours overnight in the cold. they were at ~30 PSI after the quick 2 mile drive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So, the actual cold pressure was probably at 28 or 29 psi.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NEOCON1:
Also was surprised tpm's werent installed until after purchase on my vehicle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange. They are installed by the company that does the tire mounting for the factory.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

f5stop salesman had four of the valvestem sensors in a bag and stuck them in the glove box and said the would be installed at pdi time . Im a diesel tech for enterprise and am pretty familliar with gm we buy 10's ofthousands of vehicles from them every year . There must have been a vender problem early and thats why so many complaints . Could of even been a soft ware glitch in system much less refined than the system in the vet it gives psi at each tire not just a warning that one is low
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 02-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Hummer Guru

If there was a software glitch, why are so few having this problem that some dealers say they cannot fix. Even for the small number of actual H3 owners on this forum, it is a small number with problems. Investigate, many complaints started in the fall, when ambient temps start to drop.
There has been no software update for the sensors, so don't understand a software glitch.
Could there be some defective sensors? Sure, they are man-made. However, any dealer, if they do the diagnostics correctly can find the bad sensor and replace. System really only consists of the BCM and the sensors, the I/P just displays whatever the BCM signals.
If the salesman had four sensors in a bag, he was shortchanged, or you were. There are five sensors installed, the spare also has a sensor.
I can see many dealers after the fall having doubts on whether the customer is adjusting their air pressures correctly, since that is by no doubt, the major problem facing the dealers today, and they probably getting tired of it.

I have never heard of the air pressure sensors being installed at PDI. PDI does not pay for this service, and if four were installed, it sure would be flagged by WINS when the claim was submitted; especially four (still wondering where number five is).

The sensors on a Vette signal a different module than the BCM. The RCDLR module sends sensor information to the BCM which sends the information to the "intelligent" I/P cluster, which has a larger character display and costs many many times more than the I/P cluster on the H3. In addition, the Vette uses a more intelligent system since there is no spare, and runflats will look fully inflated even with zero air pressure in the tire.
So far, the only time mine have gone off is when there was a large drop in temp over night, and my tires were under the recommended pressure during the normal daytime ambient temps. After one or two miles the warning went off. They did what they were supposed to do, warm me that I had not checked my pressures since the temps started to drop.
Since then, no other warnings.

The major problems with dealers and the tire pressure monitoring systems on vehicles without a pressure reading at the tires:
TPM problems, and assumed problems.
1. Dealer attempts to reset the sensors, and can’t get them to reset. One of the biggest problems is the TPM tool has dead or low batteries so they fail to reset the sensors. Too many dealers then assume the sensors are bad, replace the sensor, then still can’t reprogram the sensor, so they tell the customer it is something that cannot be fixed, and GM will eventually release a bulletin. Well, GM has issued a statement to the dealers to check the batteries in the tools.
2. Tire pressure system sets off warning in the morning then goes off while driving; primarily on adventure series vehicles. For all vehicles, this is an indication the tire pressure(s) in one or more tires is incorrectly set. Remember, read the label on the front driver’s door sill molding. Make sure to set pressures on a cold tire (one not driven for three hours). In addition, due to the larger tires on the adventure series, the 33” tire has a higher volume of air, it will experience a larger drop in pressure due to cold weather.
3. Dealer says it is the I/P. So far every I/P cluster returned has been tested and no trouble is found. The I/P, in regard to the TPM is dumb, it is only used to display a message sent by the BCM. So replacing it has been shown to be worthless, and does not cure the problem. A waste of time for the dealer, and more importantly, a waste of time for the customer.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:23 AM

NJH3 is off the scale

Is it possible just to remove the tps from each wheel and not have the light stay on? Can I remove them and use my OBDII scanner to erase the code and let the light stay off?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:30 AM

Grandman is off the scale

I think they have the system set a little to light .

Minimum save road preasure is 20 psi by law . well in our state any way . I realize it calls for 35 psi but letting them drop to say 27 or 28 psi before the warning came on would end the warm to cold air temp problem .

Mine sets in a heated garage so i dont have this issue unless i go to my cabin , then i do .
Old 02-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Hummer Guru

Does not fall under state law, in MI that is for those worthless safety inspections that they used to perform on the side of the road (do they still do this?).
TPMS falls under NHTSA ruling, it is a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). It requires the "passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses with a GVWR of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) or less, except those vehicles with dual wheels on an axle, to be equipped with a TPMS to alert the driver that one or more of the vehicle's tires are significantly under-inflated."

We can thank Ford for this ruling, with some blame on Bridgestone/Firestone, but test reports do show that when the left rear tires were purposly blown on SUVs a few years ago, only Fords rolled. In addition, Ford did recommend 4 psi under the tire manufacturers recommendation on some of their SUVs.

Although, I have to say the primary cause of most of the rollovers, were a combination of under-inflated tires, overloaded vehicles, and hot climtates. Most (not all) happened in the southern states on hot days, at sustained highway speeds. Majority of the vehicles were overloaded, and the tires that did not blow were underinflated, so it is easy to assume the one that was blown was also underinflated.
If people check their tire pressures as temps fluctuate, there is no problem. For those with a problem, the dealer should be able to fix if they can follow the diagnostics published by GM.
It is really a simple system, four sensors (required by law, but H3 has five), a receiver, and an idiot light (H3 also has the DIC). The DIC and idiot light are just that, dumb, so if something is wrong it has to be the BCM or a sensor(s).
Old 02-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I inflated the tires another 3 psi in November, I have not had a single TPM warning, including some temperatures in December in the single digits. The one thing I had never checked until Fstop told me there was a monitor there, was the SPARE TIRE - and I'm 95% sure that was the culprit because it was down 6 psi!
Check the spare if your other four tires read normal, but in my case, I gave the TPM a bad wrap because it was functioning as it was designed and there was nothing wrong with the system. I still hate it when I let some air out to do a little mudding!
Old 02-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

Tommy36998 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had that problem. Bad monitor. Dealer replaced it and it has not come on since
Eclipse AVN 5500, with Eclipse backup camera, and the remote. Gobi Adventure Roof Rack w/Piaa 540's and Piaa backups lights, Gobi Ladder a Bednet 8' cargo net,Jerry 2 gas 2 water,Monster inverter,Rear Marker lights and Front marker lights,Brich white lux package,Billet chrome fuel door, abs Hood panel w/billet handles, Master Flow MF-1050 air compressor, Billet chrome seat levers and seat control surrounds,Billet mini grill,Billet front marker, light surrounds w/louvers,
Old 02-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe the 09 H3 will have CTIS like the H1..

Neat Huh...???
Old 02-17-2006, 08:19 PM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

Is everyone here talking abou the Low tire warning or Service TMP warning?

I just started getting a warning on my BCM stating I need to "SVC TPM" Its kind of annoying cause it'll come on and go off and random times.

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 02-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

gc2488 is off the scale

I saw the "LOW TIRE" display once,
on a cold morning very early after playing
basketball. I measured pressure right then
and saw about 30 psi on all 4 tires.
The LOW TIRE display went away after driving
a couple of minutes, without airing up the tires.

I have since aired them up to 35 psi;
I'll keep watching for the false sensor reading
again.

At what pressure threshold is the LOW TIRE
indication supposed to come on? I haven't
found this in the manual or seen it mentioned
here (but maybe I haven't been reading closely).

Thanks for the discussion!