H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 07-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Hummer Veteran

mrmayhem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SIR GM1

I'm a victim of UPS turbo! My sirgm1 arrived today.. So the location is 'right' behind the glove box? Or underneath somewheres?
Old 07-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

It is mounted directly behind the glovebox.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

MiamiVice is on a distinguished road

Looking at that posted picture of the unit makes me bring up another issue. Why doesn't GM or whoever makes the dash frame treat the metal with a rust proof paint or something instead of leaving it bare metal to rust the way they all do. Just look under your dash after having it a short while, also the brake and gas pedals.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_sailor
Klaus... hello again you helped me back when I installed my 05 Nav and XM. Have you thought about how we might adapt the Factory XM Antenna for the Sirius reciever? YOUR thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Easy actually. Simply remove the cyan housing from the coax connector and plug it ONTO the Sirius tuner. have done many sirius setups like that in gm's. You can even use the larger guage orange and black wires to power the sirius tuner which you then mount right behind the xm tuner or mount it to the heater box.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 07-22-2006, 02:14 AM
Hummer Veteran

sweet.. i need access to the back of my radio.. My sirgm1 is here.. and glove is out. No xm module. I can still hook up the sirgm1 according to crutchfield.. but how the heck does the dash come off.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

In case anyone needs it..

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...t=dash+removal
Old 07-22-2006, 02:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

I'm an idiot.. that is for center console..
here is radio

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...=radio+removal
Old 07-22-2006, 04:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

Smile Re: SIR GM1

Well I now have sirius.. my installation was a bitch. I have a 6 disc in dash oem.. that did not have xm pre-installed. First off.. getting the friggn dash out was time consuming.. you have to practically remove the center console (including shifter cover, storage bin, etc), just to slide it back a couple inches. Then pull the dash cover off.. (simple). Plug in the SirGm1 T harness and put the radio back (that was also a bitch).. the T harness kept wedging itself behind the radio. Then I had to find power and hook up the SirGm1 noise filter. Luckily I pulled the passenger side dash panel off and there was some kind of factory plugs sticking out with nothing on them. I tested and viola.. power. Plugged everything in... stuck the antenna out the door.. and Sirius! (the display works fine and says SIRIUS not XM as others had mentioned).
Tomorrow I have to zip tie the unit under the dash.. as the T harness was only about 12 inches long (not long enough to run to spot where the XM modules are normally mounted).
Oh well.. it works for the non sat ready H2's.. as long as you have oem radio. Just a little more work.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Elcova Newbie

Fitz2333 is off the scale

How do you route the antenna feed to the outside? Can I use the stock XM antenna?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz2333
How do you route the antenna feed to the outside? Can I use the stock XM antenna?
Search will give you a bunch of threads (some including pictures) related to install of CB antennas, roof/rack mount lights, etc. There's this one I posted a while bach that shows how to route up the driver side pillar. I assume something similar can be done on the passenger side pretty easily.

BTW, I don't know anything about the compatibility of XM and Sirius antennas.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree
Search will give you a bunch of threads (some including pictures) related to install of CB antennas, roof/rack mount lights, etc. There's this one I posted a while bach that shows how to route up the driver side pillar. I assume something similar can be done on the passenger side pretty easily.

BTW, I don't know anything about the compatibility of XM and Sirius antennas.
junk says that they are incompatible, but I don't know. I have all my stuff "hooked up and installed" but I haven't even begun to put things back together.

I don't have a sunroof and am trying to track down the sunroof relay so I can steal it's use for things since it's on the RAP circuit. I've got so much wire stuffed around the I/P fuse panel that I can't get to the fuses.

BTW, you can double-sided-tape the Sirius tuner on the PS of the radio just outside of the center I/P compartment. I did it w/o removing all of the top and PS dash, but it would make it easier if you did. There is enough length to the antenna wire to run it anywhere you want. Bringing wire down through the DS clearance light is the easiest, IMO.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

Here's what i did for the antenna.. On the passenger side roof - (front).. the outside amber marker.. take out the one screw and move the light to the side. Look where the light wires go.. a nice black grommet. Pull the grommet out (comes out very easy). From the outside.. feed the sirius antenna into the hole.
Now take off the pass side windshield pillar (done by pulling the two caps out from the handle). Feed the antenna wire from the roof.. down the pillar and into the side of the pass dash (that comes off too). Thats it.

For power.. on the pass side dash.. the panel pops off.. there was two factory wire taps going to nothing. I hooked into that.. and bolted onto a nearby ground.
Sirgm1 was zip tied up inside the dash area.. as the T harness was so dang short.. I was limited on how far I could route it.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

Oh.. sorry.. XM and Sirius antennas are not compatable.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:34 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

if you look, you can see the connector on the other side of the radio

That's where I was able to put the Sirius tuner.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmayhem
Oh.. sorry.. XM and Sirius antennas are not compatable.

Wrong. Sorry. We mix and match all the time and never have any issues whatsoever. Just did a Toyota oem sirius setup and they forgot the antenna so we used a Terk XM Micro and it worked like a champ. I have used the oem xm antenna with sirius tuners in many many gm installations.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

interesting.. crutchfield advised they are not interchangeable.. maybe they just don't know.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

SoonerBoarder is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakz
Easy actually. Simply remove the cyan housing from the coax connector and plug it ONTO the Sirius tuner. have done many sirius setups like that in gm's. You can even use the larger guage orange and black wires to power the sirius tuner which you then mount right behind the xm tuner or mount it to the heater box.

Are you saying the XM antenna will just unplug from the oem xm tuner and plug right into the sirius one?
Old 08-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Hummer Professional

md_sailor is off the scale

I could use clarification here as well? I just got my SIR-GM1, Is this plug and play or do I need to swap out the antenna connector? If yes on changing connection, is there any special fitting or splicing technique needed to maintain the antenna integrity? Thanks in advance for the help
Old 10-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

I just put the unit in, with XM already there. I had a heck of a time trying to remove the connections from the factory XM module. I think, after forcing them off, the way to remove the main harness is to pull up on the blue piece on back and push in below on the back when it's pulled up. As for the orange factory XM antenna, push the ridged area in and it should allow you to then pull the factory XM antenna off.

I couldn't figure out where I wanted to place my SIRIUS module. Using the XM antenna, I didn't have much room to play with. So I managed to push it back into the void above the old XM module, somewhat under the dash. Suppose it will be ok there.

As for using the factory antenna, if you push out the white piece in the orange adaptor, and then break the two small pieces of plastic, the antenna will slide out. It is identical to the SIRIUS supplied antenna cord. So my assumption is that it will function correctly. There have been no problems so far, other than maybe the SIRIUS antenna has better reception.

I transferred my subscription from a dash mounted SIRIUS to the SIR-GM1, and I'm very happy with the difference in sound quality, and the loss of the wires everywhere in addition to always having to tune into an FM preset which always seems to collect interference or have to be changed will travelling. Or, sometimes you pick up other people's SIRIUS... haha. But now it's a clean set-up and there are no exposed wires, radio says SIR 1 and SIR 2, and everything seems to work. So I'm happy!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

ASTAR is on a distinguished road

So are you using the factory xm antenna with the sirius radio?
If so, how exactly did you make it work?
Black/Ebony, Lux, Air, DVD, Nav, 6" Fabtech Lift, 4.88 gears, 20x12 Weld Cheyenne 8's, 38x15.50 Toyo M/T's, Flowmaster cat-back, Hypertech Programmer, Airaid intake, Sirius tuner, IPOD adapter, Silverstars, Bike carriers, some Billet stuff.