H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-22-2003, 02:56 AM

2slo4now is off the scale

Not to argue with you whipplecharged but

after you made your post that the magna makes 8 lbs of boost and still makes less power than the whipple I made some calls. Straight from the mouth of the tech department of whipple the h2 system makes 5 maybe in a rare instance 5.5 lbs of boost. Straight from the mouth of magna came 5 lbs of boost and if you pull a long long grade at max power it might, just might see 6 lbs. I TOTALLY agree that the Avation screw type supercharger (whipple) makes less heat and requires less hp to spin. No question. But if the PCM has to retard timing because of detonation because of to hot an air charge then you are making less power. No one will ever know the after charger temp or the after intercooler temp but I'll bet the magna is cooler.

One last thing. Who did the dyno testing that you mentioned. I nor anyone I know has ever seen a 4 wheel drive dyno. That includes whipple and Magna

Respectfully

Dan From Alabama

Tell you what. We can settle this once and for all. Let me get my supercharger on, swap out the exhaust and I'll take it down the drag strip. I'll post the 1/8 and 1/4 mile times and we'll go from there
Old 08-22-2003, 04:28 AM

whipplecharged is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not to argue with you whipplecharged <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I nor anyone I know has ever seen a 4 wheel drive dyno. That includes whipple and Magna<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No argument here. I have a faxed copy of the dyno runs. I didn't say I did the test. Ican fax them to you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Straight from the mouth of magna came 5 lbs of boost and if you pull a long long grade at max power it might, just might see 6 lbs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is the Magna Charger Radix Kit? Only 5 psi. Thats what the old side mount kit made that SMA uses. Not the intercooled kit. I have spoken to a few others that have installed the Magna kit and they have told me 8 lbs also.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Straight from the mouth of the tech department of whipple the h2 system makes 5 maybe in a rare instance 5.5 lbs of boost. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Did you speak to Steve? Did you tell him that the vehicle had modified exhaust. When you open up the exhaust to a free flowing one, back pressure is less and boost drop depending on the exhaust. The H2 had a smaller pulley on it then what comes on a stock Whipple kit for a unmodified vehicle. It also used the programmer to take out the torque management.

With the Magna kit it is still there.......

Whipplecharged.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:16 AM

I agree with the boost pressures on the whipple. My Chevy truck never gets over 6 either. I know that 8 lbs of boost is a ton, I mean a ton of boost on a stock pistoned stroker motor running 93 octane. When i install my magna i will get accurate boost numbers and post them. I'll even do it with a stock exhaust and a aftermarket exhaust. I don't want to make enemys over 2 lbs.

Thanks for the input.

Dan from Alabama
ps the drag strip offer is still open
Old 08-22-2003, 11:04 PM

QUOTE] I don't want to make enemies over 2 lbs.[/quote]

I am not after enemies either. I have a long and extensive background and knowledge with the Whipple Superchargers and have done a lot research on the other types out there.

Also one thing to remember Whipple will be coming out with their intercooler for these kits....

Dan from Alabama

What is the name of your shop? Just curious.

Whipplecharged
Old 08-23-2003, 02:39 AM

Jigga is off the scale

I'm sorry but I'm completely stupid about superchargers. I just know they add a truck load of power, and might add one to my rig one day (hopefully). But i just wanted to know what "5 pounds of boost" meant.

thanks,
-Jigga

2003 Pewter H2 with Adventure Package.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:34 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey whipplecharged...I was only getting 5lbs. max when I first installed my Whipple last November. I thought that my bypass was opening to soon so I called Steve and he suggested that I purchase the smaller pulley to see if that is still the max boost I could get or if it was the bypass valve. It now goes to 5 1/2 to 6lbs. max. As you can see I have headers and exhaust. It sounds like that is something that is taken in to consideration now when you purchase one for the H2. As I mentioned in a previous post overheating has never been an issue even in my extremely hot climate!

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:58 PM

Hey whipplecharged.

To answer your question about my shop name.

My "shop" is called Performance Truck Centers. My main location is 12,500 sq feet and my second location is 2,500 sq feet. We are a Whipple installing dealer as well as a Magna installing dealer. I don't have a lot of experience with whipple. I've only been an installing dealer since 1997 and have installed only around 30 kits. This Magna will be our first intercooler kit.

We also have an e-commerce web site but forum rules keep me from listing it.

Dan from Alabama
Old 08-26-2003, 03:09 AM

H2Bill,

Exhaust should be taken into consideration, but normally you get the standard set up. They have tested with an H2 with exhaust on it. that one is runnig 8 lbs of boost. It doesn't get driven daily it is for show only.

Whipplecharged
Old 08-26-2003, 11:58 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Dan from Alabama,

What part of Alabama. I live in Jackson, MS and have had experience with the local shops and am not very impressed.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:26 PM

Hey Paragon

Montgomery

Dan
Old 08-26-2003, 11:41 PM

Apex IV is off the scale

H2 Daddy: Thanks for the kind words! Like I've said in other posts, though, the guys who I bought H2's for earned them... :-)

OK, question for all you Whipple owners out there. Upon reviewing the instructions for "installing" the ExtremeFlow mods for the air intake, it appears that we've got to butch up some of the existing intake tubes, box and trim the inner well some. Not too hairy, but I'd planned on trading in my H2 when my SUT comes in, so I'm looking for a better intake solution. Who makes air intake systems suitable for the Whipplecharged H2? Please, no bashing each other, just info needed on a first rate system. I'm less interested in price that quality & performance.

Also, Whipplecharged: Where can one obtain info on the intercooler. It is applicable for "retrofitting" existing Whipple installations? From my previous experience with intercooled turbo-diesels (F-250 and 2 H1's), the flash programming & exhaust stuff added some HP, but the "seat of the pants" torque and gas mileage came after intercooling. Adding an intercooler to my stroked H1 with "Heavy Hummer turbos" (yes, two), I picked up almost 5 MPG!! I had always noticed in my non-intercooled travels that I got MUCH better MPG while motoring through the mountain passes in CO than I did in the (relatively) flat lands of the Texas Hill Country... Of course, diesels are much less sensitive to weight/load... :-) Wish there was a diesel option for the H2... :-\

2slo4now: Can you email me your ecommerce link. My email address is in my profile. Thanks.

Thanks for your input guys! BTW, my initial findings on my individual H2 is that the ExtremeFlow muffler ALONE is resulting a barely perceptible HP increase and about 1/2 MPG increase with everything else stock. I'll burn 3 or 4 more tanks of gas in a short trip over the next few days, so I'll have a more accurate measure by this weekend, when I plan to do the flash programming. If I can find someone to sell me a QUALITY air intake and get it FedEx-ed, I'll put in in on Saturday before leaving for a 2,000 mile trip through CO on Sunday.

-Randall Garrett-
Old 08-27-2003, 02:11 AM
H2 Club Houston Chapter Founder

BADRAP is off the scale

KENNE BELL COMING SOON, VERY VERY SOON!!!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:34 PM
Hummer Professional

H2 Bill is an unknown quantity at this point

Apex IV, I used the AirRaid system and yes you have to modify the box and intake tube but no cutting on the H2 itself.

2003 H2 Hummer, Yellow,Polished Whipple Supercharged, Edelbrock ceramics, catback,18" Ambush w/mudders,lots of goodies!
Y2K Corvette Millennium Yellow Convert/Blk/Blk, B&B headers, B&B Tri-Flo's, H-Tech MAG,GMS MAF, RM Racing TwinFlow.
1994 Chev 454 Suburban, Blown, Doug Thorley
1970 Trans Am, balanced, blue printed, Hooker ceramics

www.4swimwear.com
1970 Trans Am balanced, blueprinted, ceramic headers, etc.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:01 AM

Apex IV,

The intercooler for the Whipplecharger will be out in a few months. They still need to do a ew more modes for correct fitment and calibreation of the Whipple cpu.
Also they are testing on the 2004 motors.

Whipplecharged
Old 08-29-2003, 10:37 AM

NSXer is off the scale

I can't wait to hear about the kenne bell!!! Let me know BADWRAPPER!

If you like bikes... Check out http://www.usualsuspex.com
Old 09-04-2003, 04:34 PM

My H2 is speeding up some. Installed the Magna system. It took 9 hours or so using all hand tools. "except a cordless drill" I found the instructions exceptional. The kit went on with ease and I only had to tie into 1 factory fuel pump feed wire.

The H2 has alot more power than my vortec 350 whipplecharged truck. It has no, I mean NO detonation. Shifting is perfect. I am not well impressed very easily, but I am with this Magna system.

Test and Tune is happening at our local dragstrip this Friday. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Dan from Alabama
Old 09-06-2003, 12:19 AM

2003 H2 lux every available option but light bar.

Stock intake
Stock exhaust
stock MAF
stock Throttle body
stock 4.10 gears

add ons
Magna charger kit
4 inch lift
measured height 36.5 inch tall tires 325/80/16
(my stock BFG's measure 33.5 inches)

conditions
85 degrees misty rain
about 800 foot above sea level.
A/C on
Radio playing
shift tow button not pushed
3rd seat installed
Full fuel
laptop in the seat next to me and a coke in the cup holder
estimated weight 7400 lbs

1/8 mile 11.100 @ 62.53 mph
1/4 mile 17.324 @ 79.28 mph

Fuel economy has gone down about 1 mpg. It went up about 1 with the supercharger and down about 2 with the tires and lift.

I'm going to get an exhaust on it and run it with stock tires just for better comparison.

Dan from Alabama

Please don't bash my numbers with numbers from someone elses website. Please do bash my numbers if you have accurate runs that you have done in your H2.

Dan from Alabama
Old 09-06-2003, 12:23 AM

I don't have accurate boost numbers to post as of yet. I've got a gauge on order. What ever the numbers are I will post them.

Dan from Alabama
Old 09-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

One last thing. Who did the dyno testing that you mentioned. I nor anyone I know has ever seen a 4 wheel drive dyno. That includes whipple and Magna

Respectfully

Dan From Alabama

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ask and yee shall receive
This is a pic of A.W.E. Tuning's Mustang 4 Wheel Dynamometer with their well tuned Audi S4 Avant on it.

Old 09-11-2003, 12:06 AM

Thanks NJ

I can now say they exist and I have seen one. Do you think that a H2 would fit on it?

Dan from Alabama