H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 01-07-2003, 04:12 AM

Mega Boris is off the scale

I spent a lot of time over the past few days looking for a viable solution to the H2's headlight situation..

like everyone here, im upset with the "candle with a mirror" that came stock with the car...

If you put in a HID 9007 Kit, you will LOSE your HI BEAM Capabilities.... as there are no quality bi-xenon kits....

BEWARE of any you find... Most claim to be HELLA brand, but only use hella ballasts... the actual bulbs are taiwanese.

Because there is no de-facto solution.. and I do not want to give up my Hi-Beam capabilities...

I installed Sylvania Silverstars 9007ST.
They cost 25$ a bulb...

The light produced is crisper and whiter...
You gain some brightness... not much...

Tonight, my first night using then, I got the brights from a couple of people... Obviously thinking that my brights were on... A good thing...

However, the design of the lens and reflector does not do justice... the aim is crap, and its not the silverstars fault...

In summation:

No HELLA Bi-Xenon HID Kits Available
All that claim are Hella Ballasts and Taiwanese Bulbs (crap). The aiming isn't gonna be perfect either. They are expensive... and most importantly,
NOT STREET LEGAL...

PURE Hella Kits from Philips are available, however you will LOSE HIGH BEAM functionality.

The Sylvania Xenarcs would need to be custom fitted inside the current Light Housing...
Something I do not wish to change, as I expect in the future, there will be a viable HID solution...

Do NOT buy Xenon-HID bulbs without buying a conversion kit.... The voltage is different and you will end up either melting your wires, or blowing the bulbs....

The Sylvania Silverstars are halogens, produce a color temp of 4000K, the xenarcs produce 4100k. The Color is white compared to the yellow of the stock lights. With these you DO NOT LOSE HI BEAM FUNCTIONALITY. They are inexpensive, an easy plug and play... and most importantly.. STREET LEGAL

So, until there is a bi-xenon 9007 ALL HELLA kit, (i don't care if its street legal or not, for the time being) I will not be purchasing an HID kit, as the Silverstars are viable substitutes until one is made...

I hope this helps...

For Reference, these are the bulbs you would need to buy. They should be carried at your local auto parts store:

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

In the 9007ST size.

I will have pictures tomorrow, if you want to check back.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:07 AM

NSXTC is off the scale

Thanks Mega...this is the exact type of comparison I was looking for. Great post! I'm going with your advice until Hummer offers the HID option to 2004 models. Hopefully, it'll retrofit.

Until then...

Sylvania has a $10 rebate on a pair of Silverstars...Download rebate here...

http://www.autobarn.com/rebate/sylreb.pdf

Autobarn.com has 9007ST...link here...

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/silverstar.html

Matching DRLs in Super white (slight blue tint)for those with the DRL + HL mod...

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/apccolglasbu.html

APC 504055B WAFFLE 3157 SP.WHITE 9.95 (Price for 1 pair)

Total for 2 9007 and 2 DRLs including shipping from Autobarn.com...$66.80. Don't forget the $10 rebate = $56.80

[This message was edited by NSXTC on January 07, 2003 at 12:01 AM.]
H2SUT.com
----------
Red metallic, Lux package, Poron backup sensors, throttle body by-pass, Independent dual DVDs, Volant air box, DRL mod, chrome hood handles and latch.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:33 AM

I don't know what Hummer Has Planned.

For an HID to be DOT Approved, it has to auto-level...
For example, on BMW's and Benz's... if you go over a speed bump, the HID's automatically lower, as not to blind the guy on the other side...

The kits dont do that, so they are inherently illegal...

Hummer will most likely do what that sylvania xenarc does.... Low Beam is a Xenon HID, and your High Beam will be H3's.... in the same casing..

I don't know how it exactly works...

I plan on taking my H2 in to the dealer to get my beams re-adjusted... I suggest everyone does the same, as most factory H2's have crap aiming...

I never thought about replacing the DRL's and will prolly do so, to ensure both lights are the same (or at least close) color.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:36 AM

NSXTC is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I plan on taking my H2 in to the dealer to get my beams re-adjusted... I suggest everyone does the same, as most factory H2's have crap aiming...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This will turn your headlights down to a normal level. Works for everyone that have tried it. Use a 5/32 allen.
H2SUT.com
----------
Red metallic, Lux package, Poron backup sensors, throttle body by-pass, Independent dual DVDs, Volant air box, DRL mod, chrome hood handles and latch.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:38 AM

what exactly am I turning? I never looked at the HL in detail.. i replaced it when it was dark out.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:40 AM

NSXTC is off the scale

Looking at the grill, there is a hole in the front headlight housing. This is used to adjust your headlight. If you are looking at the driver light, it's bottom right. Passenger light, it's bottom left (or vice versa). Anyway, can't miss the hole. Only one there.
H2SUT.com
----------
Old 01-07-2003, 05:40 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Take a look, there are one hole each next to head lamp lense.
Takes seconds to do it yourself.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:43 AM

i'll give it a try tomorrow...

last question before I disappear for the night...
it looks like its a pain to access the DRL's.

The manual is a little vague... whats the process?
Old 01-07-2003, 05:46 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Just reach in, turn from 3 o'clock to 12 o'clock, pull out.
Pull out bulb, insert new bulb.
Put assembly back in, turn from 12 to 3. DONE.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:48 AM

thats my issue... where is the DRL accessible from...

since its located in the bumper, its not like I can access it from opening the hood... what do i need to get under, etc.

edit: 5 posts and i'm a vet... SWEET

I've had my h2 since the 1st week in november...
If you see NY Plates: H2UMMER , that's me...
Old 01-07-2003, 05:52 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Mega, what you need to do is look at it. Much like the head lamp adjustment holes, they are there for you to see. When you walk to your Hummer, look at the back of the DRL, all your questions are answered instantly. Sounds like you have not even look at the back of your DRL, certainly never the front of your head lamps. We all learn from each others. I read about the head lamp adjustment from other members here months ago. Welcome.
Go to your Hummer and take a look.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:55 AM

I'll take a look at it in the morning... As its 3am here, and im already ready for bed...

I wish I had found these forums sooner...

It has informed me about the wiper problems, and how to fix this problem as well... Im glad i could contribute to this specific thread as I did the entire searching process over the last 2 days....

I plan on getting some PICS of my h2 up soon...

I'm off for the night... I will stop by tomorrow to chat some more. Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-07-2003, 01:42 PM

buddy is off the scale

When you're swapping the headlight bulbs around, don't lose the bulb retainer.

When I removed one of the HL bulbs, I forgot to put the retainer back on. Somewhere during a recent 2000 mi trip it fell off from wherever I laid it during the swap.

So, I head over to the dealer to get a new keeper. Not available. Dealer says, You have to buy the deadlight assembly . to the tune of $180.00, or with discount $140.00. Anyway, they still have the HL.

I did get a chance to get a look at the assembly and doesn't appear to have any horizontal adjustment, just the vertical. I know some of us was wanting to eliminate some of the overlapping of the beam pattern.

If you ever need to replace the headlight, you have to buy the entire assembly..complete.

Don't misplace those bulb retainers.
Old 01-07-2003, 01:57 PM

JCJ is off the scale

is possible by inserting (a # of) washers between left or right bolts (there are 3) and little holes in the hood, where head lamps are fastened.
When I hadn't figured out the easy way (w/ allen wrench in little hole in front) yet to adjust the head lamps vertically, I inserted washers in the top bolt.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:44 PM

for the DRL's will any 3157 bulb do? I'm having trouble locating that APC bulb locally.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:20 PM

NSXTC is off the scale

I think so. If you look at our DRL bulbs now, it has two filament. Not sure why they put a dual filament bulb in there. The dual filaments are 3157s and doubles as parking/brake (rear) or parking/turn signal (front). So I'm thinking that a regular 3157 will do eventhough the manual ask for 3157KX.

I think someone on this board has actually replaced the DRLs and can give more insight.
H2SUT.com
----------
Old 01-07-2003, 04:55 PM

valkolton is off the scale

NSXTC, I am in La Jolla too... Are you the other Orange H2 I saw driving on La Jolla Boulevard before I got mine??? Have you replaced your bulbs, I would love to see them in person.

Val
'03 Orange H2, Lux

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NSXTC:
I think so. If you look at our DRL bulbs now, it has two filament. Not sure why they put a dual filament bulb in there. The dual filaments are 3157s and doubles as parking/brake (rear) or parking/turn signal (front). So I'm thinking that a regular 3157 will do eventhough the manual ask for 3157KX.

I think someone on this board has actually replaced the DRLs and can give more insight.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 01-07-2003, 07:53 PM

NSXTC is off the scale

Hey Val, Check your Private Topics. Let's hook up.
H2SUT.com
----------
Old 01-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Not every 3157 will work. Strangely there are many types of 3157, with totally different bases. The 3157 used in Hummer has snap in base with 2 metal contacts on each side, some 3157 has only 1 wire each side, some 3157 has larger bulb as ours but some has tiny bulbs. I have switched to new 3157 "Super White" bulbs I found at Kragen Auto, these are the $7 cheap bulbs, light became white (vs. yellow) with a slight blue tint. But one only lasted 2 days, I am going back in to get replacement if they have any new stock, that was the last one on the shelf. Yes, they looked like cheap Taiwan bulbs and packaging, but the white light was good. I am hoping that was just a bad bulb. What you need to do is to take out your current DRL bulb to see and match it.

Yes, I agree with one post here said that you have to be careful with the eBay bulb sellers, they seem slimy and tricky to me. Target, auto or stereo stores and Walgreen sell many of these 9007 bulbs about $20, you can always return them to store, you can't do that with eBay. Add in shipping cost, eBay is not cheaper.

[This message was edited by MAC on January 07, 2003 at 03:02 PM.]
Old 01-15-2003, 02:30 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There is really only one logical option to get HID's on the H2. I searched all over the internet trying to find the right setup and finally did.

This is one of those things that should have been stock. Buy the Sylvania Xenarc X6024 replacement lamps and you won't be sorry. They are very easy to install and not only do you retain low and high beam functions, the low beam HID's stay on when you switch over to high beam.

I ordered my H2 with the wrap-around brush guard (which made installation slightly more difficult) and the factory off-road lights. With the new headlamp assemblies in, you cannot tell that the off-road lights are on as they are drowned in the light produced by the new beams.

You have HID on low beam and maintain the HID's on high beam but there is a second H4 halogen bulb in the sealed beam unit that kicks on and provides more light. I found the lights the cheapest at http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...aled-beams.htm

It's an easy installation and comes with every thing you need. Also you'll find yourself not using the high beams very much afterward because the HID's on low provide great light.