H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 08-02-2006, 04:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

Screeper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Supercharge or gear swap?

Thanks for the info. That puts me 200 RPM over factory with 38 inch tires which is exactly what I was looking for. I think alot of people will be at the Hummer dealer with their old trucks the second they come out with a diesel/allison truck. I know I will.
2004 Lux with 6 inch Fabtech with tie rods, 38 inch MT's, 4:88 gears, and some minor engine tweaks.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

mowdoc is on a distinguished road

I know your right. Maybe we can ride together.

mowdoc
Old 08-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

ASTAR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowdoc
It would sure be nice to drive up a grade and keep the damn converter locked. I love my H2 but GM needs to take a closer look at shift points and downshift requests on this rig. I was spoiled by a maxed out DuraMax diesel before the Hummer and I tow a lot. The D-Max would pull a hitch in half in 5th gear while this Hummer can't pull itself up a slight grade without downshifting. Like I said, I was spoiled by the diesel. I do love the Hummer, I just wish it would stay in high gear more.

mowdoc

AMEN!
I was spoiled by my Dodge CTD the same way
Black/Ebony, Lux, Air, DVD, Nav, 6" Fabtech Lift, 4.88 gears, 20x12 Weld Cheyenne 8's, 38x15.50 Toyo M/T's, Flowmaster cat-back, Hypertech Programmer, Airaid intake, Sirius tuner, IPOD adapter, Silverstars, Bike carriers, some Billet stuff.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:27 AM
Hummer Guru

OrangeCrush is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally would go for the supercharger. After I did my lift, I installed 4.56's. My gas mileage picked back up because the truck didn't have to work so hard to lug all that truck around.

Though it helped, at 70 mph, a minor incline will cause the truck to go into OD. I personally can't stand the performance at highway speeds with the gears... God forbid I'm pulling my enclosed trailer.

At some point I'm going to install a supercharger but that's my suggestion.

HTH's,

Mark
Old 08-04-2006, 01:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

ASTAR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush

At some point I'm going to install a supercharger but that's my suggestion.

Mark

I concur, I just would rather wait till the warranty is up. Even then, the gears will help other components (tranny) live a better life.
Black/Ebony, Lux, Air, DVD, Nav, 6" Fabtech Lift, 4.88 gears, 20x12 Weld Cheyenne 8's, 38x15.50 Toyo M/T's, Flowmaster cat-back, Hypertech Programmer, Airaid intake, Sirius tuner, IPOD adapter, Silverstars, Bike carriers, some Billet stuff.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:07 PM
Hummer Veteran

kdio is off the scale

If you are pulling a trailer I would not recommend the 4.88 gears. The pinion gear gets very small on the 4.88 and it will break. When I changed gears the installer told me not to go larger than 4.56. I am running 37 inch tires and changed my gears to 4.56 and it made a big difference. I also have a super charger. I would recommend doing both.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Hummer Authority

Big Z has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Ya Just Can't make a SMALL BLOCK perform like a BIG BLOCK!, Diesel!, Or 1 Ton..(Ya Get Spoiled!---I DID Anyway)....I've Had the D-Max dually, Cummins 24v Dodge Dually, GMC Dually w/6.5L...and a few Gassers along the way! (worked THEM Hard!) And, As I'll ALWAYS Have a GOOD Work/Tow Rig....CUZ My 2 JUST WON'T DO! (Said my piece on the towing abilites of the H2 through the years...Any other comment is best left for the search link.......Nuff Said! )

Got A Whapping 15K (bought New) on the 02 CC Silverado LB, 8.1L w/Allison...A...Get-er-Done!....Pick-up. ....Just For That Reason!

Anyway, JMO, Get what you can with the programmer, back off the pedal, and enjoy your ride!-----Of ALL The Cruise Controls, (in ALL the rigs I've had anyway), The 2's...ARE BY FAR THE MOST RESPONSIVE!...It's programmed to Maintain SET SPEED--No Matter What!....And as you keep track of it, and allow it to work!....You Will Find...IT WORKS VERY WELL! No Choice! ;-)......ALL The way to 2nd, huffin hard in the hills, I think I Can, I think I can...30mph!.....NOT!...WELL!

Last edited by Big Z : 08-04-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

So, Z, what's your take on the H2 as a tow rig?

If we pulled more, would dump the F250 Powerstroke, get the Sierra 2500 Duramax and figure out a way to put the H2's airbag-type system (from Firestone) on it.

The F250 is just too rough up front and the 2500 is rough out back unloaded.

I can't wait to see the new Sierra's built on the new 900 platform due out by the end of the year.